Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Kindle edition discount with physical purchase?

I know this has been batted about by ebook fans for a while, but it seems like the K2 release would be the perfect time to announce something.

Why not offer a Kindle edition for $2.99 to anyone who buys a print edition of a book? It seems like most of the holdouts are those who despise the DRM or have some luddite fetish for flattened trees glued together. Something like this would bring in lots of on-the-fence customers and put a little more money in Amazon and the publishers pockets.

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Well, sometimes the holder of the print rights is different from the holder of the electronic rights. I wonder how many Kindle owners buy many print books. If they open Kindle books up for other devices or even to read on your computer, that might be a bigger deal. Maybe people who haven't tried ebooks might give it a whirl. Personally, I avoid pbooks if I can so I'd rarely use this option. What I would like is the ability to get a big discount on the ebook version of any pbook I already own but I doubt that would ever happen.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
rho1640
rho1640 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
But Amazon does offer the Amazon Upgrade --- for a little more you can buy a copy of the book you just bought or previously bought from Amazon - that can be read on your computer and you can print pages, make notes, etc -- so that gives me hope that they will do the same thing eventually for Kindle - because if it is set up in their system now that if any books you have bought from them that are set up to do it are available that way how hard is it to transfer it over to Kindle.....

Lord that was a confusing sentence - hope you can figure out what I am trying to say...

eta - to clear it up - not a lot of books are available yet for this but it is a start and I am sure more will be available soon.

Last edited by rho1640; 02-11-2009 at 09:01 PM.
rho1640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
MattEcho
MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Well I would think that the ebook should be free if you purchased a hard copy. That would seem to make sense. Kind of like buying a piece of software to download followed by the physical disc in the mail.

Matt
MattEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmidt View Post
I know this has been batted about by ebook fans for a while, but it seems like the K2 release would be the perfect time to announce something.

Why not offer a Kindle edition for $2.99 to anyone who buys a print edition of a book? It seems like most of the holdouts are those who despise the DRM or have some luddite fetish for flattened trees glued together. Something like this would bring in lots of on-the-fence customers and put a little more money in Amazon and the publishers pockets.

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?
Yes, there is. If I buy a hardback book can I get a paperback for a discount? If I buy a VHS tape, can I get a DVD cheaper? If I buy a CD can I download it to my computer for a huge discount?

Amazon is in business to make money, and they must answer to shareholders. If you were a shareholder, would you support this idea?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If I buy a CD can I download it to my computer for a huge discount?
Technically yes..actually. you have to right to rip it from the CD.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
rho1640
rho1640 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
I don't think it should be free - but I am thrilled that there is a possibility that eventually I could get them at a discount - since I have been buying my favorite books to have on my Kindle -- I do re-read books many times - which is why I never got rid of any of my hard bound books and my house is over run with them.

Last edited by rho1640; 02-11-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: fumble fingers
rho1640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yes, there is. If I buy a hardback book can I get a paperback for a discount? If I buy a VHS tape, can I get a DVD cheaper? If I buy a CD can I download it to my computer for a huge discount?

Amazon is in business to make money, and they must answer to shareholders. If you were a shareholder, would you support this idea?
Yes. CDs and DVDs are starting to come with mobile versions of their content for FREE on the disc.

This is an additional purchase that would not have happened otherwise - selling an item that costs nothing to ship or print, helping to sell an expensive piece of equipment, and boosting a new market with wonderful profit margins for Amazon and the publishers.
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
MattEcho
MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rho1640 View Post
I don't think it should be free - but I am thrilled that there is a possibility that eventually I could get them at a discount - since I have been buying my favorite books to have on my Kindle -- I do re-read books many times - which is why I never got rid of any of my hard bound books and my house is over run with them.
Why shouldn't it be free? I mean it's not really free, you're buying the hard copy. To me the answer hinges on whether there is an additional cost to the publisher to produce an ebook. My guess is this cost is nil or close to it. Presumably the document is already in an electronic format before printing, so converting that e-document into an e-book would be nothing.

Of course, I could be way off here; there might actually be a significant cost to publishing ebooks. But I don't think so. Assuming there is no additional publishing cost, I ask again, Why shouldn't it be free?

Matt
MattEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'd love this. And wouldn't mind paying a small upcharge (long as it is reasonable.)

I'm really hoping that's where the market is headed. You buy it - it's yours and you can use it however you like.

Hell, I could even get behind DRM as long as this was the case. Portability is my primary problem with DRM. Second, of course, being the "the moment they turn off their servers you're screwed" thing.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote