Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
three trailing dots ...

is there any way to patch up sentences that end with ...

so that e-readers do not split them over two lines ?

I hate seeing lines which trail off like ..
!

it would not be allowed in a printed book.

I am wondering if anything can be done at html level to force all sets of 3 dots to stay together during re-flows ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Use the HTML entity representing an ellipsis: … or ….

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK - so I'd need to do a global find & replace on my source

if I open in sigil i find there are 400+ instances of ". . ."

do i put "&hellip" in the replace all box ( without the quotes and without a trailing semicolon ) ?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
OK - so I'd need to do a global find & replace on my source

if I open in sigil i find there are 400+ instances of ". . ."

do i put "&hellip" in the replace all box ( without the quotes and without a trailing semicolon ) ?
Correct, except for the trailing semi-colon - you need to include that.

Find: . . .

Replace with: …

If there is a space between the final word and the first dot in the ellipsis then you should also replace that space with a non-breaking space -  
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

thanks - sigil - code view - find & replace all
". . ." to "…"
seems to have done the trick

I left out looking for the preceeding space, as I'll be happy just to have all 3 dots on the same line, even if they have a line all to themselves.

it would be nice if the "smarten punctuation" feature took care of this, automatically - but maybe there are valid instances where ". . ." should stay as-is ?

Last edited by cybmole; 12-13-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it would be nice if the "smarten punctuation" feature took care of this, automatically - but maybe there are valid instances where ". . ." should stay as-is ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote