Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
scientificwriter
scientificwriter began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best Reader for Research?

I have a huge amount of scientific papers as PDF files to read and I am looking for a paperless solution that doesn't fatigue my eyes. I think an e-book device of some sort would help me achieve this. What devices can you recommend me?

Some argue that screen size is important for reading academic papers in PDF (e.g. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14) and students have complained about limited means of annotation (http://registrarism.wordpress.com/2009/01/18/ebooks/). I think I have to agree with screen size, but I am not sure if annotation is necessary for my purposes. I simply need to get a lot of reading done, efficiently and anywhere I choose to go, without dragging piles of paper with me.

I suppose that I'm looking for a reader with good support for the PDF that accurately displays tables and figures, and provides an enjoyable reading experience (more or less zoom-free). Any ideas?

/SciWri
scientificwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Irex DR1000 as far as size currently. Plastic Logic "Que" details coming January 7th. Irex DR800SG due maybe by the end of the month. As far as over 6inch display size that is it.

hmm... there was one other I'm forgetting
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The Kindle DX is good if reading is all you need, but there's no annotation ability. (And it may not be available to you, but just getting it as a reader, if you don't care about buying from Amazon, is do-able.)

Right now, there's nothing that's great for academic PDFs. The biggest problem is that a large enough screen to read them comfortably is fragile, followed by the fact that most academic reading really wants to include note-taking of some sort, and that's expensive programming.

If most of your reading is of one particular type (a small range of similarly-formatted journals, for example), you could mention that, and people might know what readers are best for those PDFs, or if there are easy programs that will make them accessible on 6" readers.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
One other I had a hard time remembering- the Brother SV 100 http://www.brother.co.jp/product/epa...100b/index.htm

of course with that there is the sticker shock, if you can get one from japan that is...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Today: Irex DR1000 is the answer.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm keeping my eye on the Que. I need a larger screen AND annotation as I highlight and write a lot of notes on academic PDFs as I like to not have to re-read an article again, ever.

I'm honestly more interested in waiting for a tablet device though as I'd prefer it to be a nice multifunction device. Especially if the price is going to be around $1000 like the Irex DR1000. So I'm willing to be patient and see what comes out the next couple of years.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
academic, research, researcher, science, scientific