Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #481
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Does that mean that when I download book from Kobo on my ADE, liberate it in Calibre and then load it on Kobo it would be kepub?
Coz I am not planning to do any wifi contact with Kobo or anybody else
No, it will be epub unless you use a plugin to make it a kepub.

(A question I can answer!

If you want to side load epubs, very easy to do.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #482
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Does that mean that when I download book from Kobo on my ADE, liberate it in Calibre and then load it on Kobo it would be kepub?
No... The kEpubs are what you get via either a kobo desktop sync or a Kobo device WiFi sync.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #483
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
No, only if you download the book using WiFi or the Kobo Desktop and transfer it from there.

But you can use the plugin for Calibre that transfers epubs as kepubs. You don't have to convert them, the plugin simply sends them to the Kobo ereader in kepub format.

Edit: Well, seems I was a little slow.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #484
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No... The kEpubs are what you get via either a kobo desktop sync or a Kobo device WiFi sync.
Well, I guess I shouldn't go into all that mess then. I just wanted to do same as I do with Amazon - download on Mac, liberate, sideload. Seems more complicated with Kobo...And I thought they are the ones that are more free...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #485
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Well, I guess I shouldn't go into all that mess then. I just wanted to do same as I do with Amazon - download on Mac, liberate, sideload. Seems more complicated with Kobo...And I thought they are the ones that are more free...
You can do exactly that. And it is what I generally do. The only thing I like about the kepub reader is the reading progress info.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #486
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
No, only if you download the book using WiFi or the Kobo Desktop and transfer it from there.

But you can use the plugin for Calibre that transfers epubs as kepubs. You don't have to convert them, the plugin simply sends them to the Kobo ereader in kepub format.

Edit: Well, seems I was a little slow.
Ok, I understood, thank you.
One more question - If I convert my Amazon file to epub, will the same plugin send that epub as kepub?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #487
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But... you can sideload them as liberated epubs.

They don't need to be kepubs to work on any Kobo reader, Aura included. They all handle epub (with or without Adobe drm).

And once you have the plugin installed, if you really want to have kepubs instead of epubs, it's no more complicated than liberating your ebooks.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #488
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Ok, I understood, thank you.
One more question - If I convert my Amazon file to epub, will the same plugin send that epub as kepub?
Yes. It does not "care" wether the book has been an azw or mobi or whatever file before.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #489
jmilica
Banned

Quote:
Yes. It does not "care" wether the book has been an azw or mobi or whatever file before.
Thanks, then it's still an option
Old 04-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #490
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
And it's a bug we've seen before! It appears to be font-specific. I'm not a Georgia fan, but it seems to be a font that is less likely to do this. I ran through a bunch of fonts on an affected page, and Georgia was the only one that worked as it should. I didn't check all of the fonts.
This is getting more interesting.

I saw the bug yesterday using Georgia. Today I wiped the micro-SD card and resent all my books using Calibre 0.9.28. The same book now does not seem to show the "long paragraph" bug!

Also, book covers as screen savers are now sharp, as expected.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #491
flyingtoad
flyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle 1st gen, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
But... you can sideload them as liberated epubs.

They don't need to be kepubs to work on any Kobo reader, Aura included. They all handle epub (with or without Adobe drm).

And once you have the plugin installed, if you really want to have kepubs instead of epubs, it's no more complicated than liberating your ebooks.
May I please ask, where could we get this special plugin for Calibre ? It seems to be the easiest way for sideloading our epub books into kepub format
flyingtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #492
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtoad View Post
May I please ask, where could we get this special plugin for Calibre ? It seems to be the easiest way for sideloading our epub books into kepub format
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211135 for details. But, you can install it from within calibre. Open the preferences, press the Plugins button at the bottom and the the "Get new plugins" button. It will be listed in there and you can install it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #493
flyingtoad
flyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheeseflyingtoad can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle 1st gen, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211135 for details. But, you can install it from within calibre. Open the preferences, press the Plugins button at the bottom and the the "Get new plugins" button. It will be listed in there and you can install it.
You are very helpful. Thank you very much
flyingtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #494
skip_sands
Enthusiast
skip_sands began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
But doesn't it also say that the plugin does not work with the Aura HD? Has anyone tested it successfully?
skip_sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #495
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
Got mine today! Had to drive to Brighton as not all WH Smith shops have them. Ended up with an "espresso" (i.e. brown) one, which was not what I expected. I thought I'd be going for a black one but I really liked the brown.
How on Earth did you manage to get one from Smiths? I ordered mine about 30 seconds after they were announced in the UK and mine hasn't even shipped yet. Smiths aren't saying it's out of stock, but they're hardly busting a gut to get them to customers. So much for 'release date 25th April'.

Grumpy now.

Mike.
iCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote