Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #316
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Kindle App on Surface RT

I've had problems when downloading books before in the Kindle App.
Something like "out of storage".
But this time, a new error code pops up:
"Application Storage Limit Exceeded. The application has exceeded its storage limit, and is unable to continue this operation. Please remove a downloaded book from this device to free storage space".

Anyone else with this message?

Strange.
I've only downloaded 39 books.
Not even big ones, no Garfield or Dilbert comics for example.
So I guess, those 39 books may add up to some 20MB to 50MB.
Is this really the limit?
Number of books or storage space?
Anyway. I find this ridiculous. I already struggle with the 2GB limit on Kindle Paperwhite. But at least this allows for 500 of my 750 Kindle books.
But 39?
To me, that cripples the App useless.
I want to take my whole library with me, especially on a unit without 3G to download "on the road".

Do you have this limit as well?

I've got a similar limit in the Kobo App.
On Sony Duo 11, with Windows 8 (Pro?), I have been able to download my Garfield and Dilbert comics, ca. 100MB each. On Surface RT, Kobo app crashes at the end of the download and the respective book isn't downloaded.

Does Surface RT or Windows RT in general have a problem with managing big files?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #317
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've had problems when downloading books before in the Kindle App.
Something like "out of storage".
But this time, a new error code pops up:
"Application Storage Limit Exceeded. The application has exceeded its storage limit, and is unable to continue this operation. Please remove a downloaded book from this device to free storage space".

Anyone else with this message?

Strange.
I've only downloaded 39 books.
Not even big ones, no Garfield or Dilbert comics for example.
So I guess, those 39 books may add up to some 20MB to 50MB.
Is this really the limit?
Number of books or storage space?
Anyway. I find this ridiculous. I already struggle with the 2GB limit on Kindle Paperwhite. But at least this allows for 500 of my 750 Kindle books.
But 39?
To me, that cripples the App useless.
I want to take my whole library with me, especially on a unit without 3G to download "on the road".

Do you have this limit as well?

I've got a similar limit in the Kobo App.
On Sony Duo 11, with Windows 8 (Pro?), I have been able to download my Garfield and Dilbert comics, ca. 100MB each. On Surface RT, Kobo app crashes at the end of the download and the respective book isn't downloaded.

Does Surface RT or Windows RT in general have a problem with managing big files?
I tried a 1 GB video file on it, no problem. But I never tried to use it as a book reader, I only use it for newspapers and magazines (as far as reading apps are concerned).
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #318
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I tried a 1 GB video file on it, no problem. But I never tried to use it as a book reader, I only use it for newspapers and magazines (as far as reading apps are concerned).
I've got a dozen MP4 movies, each between 1GB and 5GB, on my Micro SD card in Surface RT. No problem either. I've tried a few in internal memory, working fine as well.

But in Kindle and Kobo apps, I get this error 100%. In Kindle with an error message, in Kobo with crashing. Tried reset and the usual stuff of course...
I don't bother that much about the Kobo app, I can live without the huge comic files and only read the text books (95% of my books anyway).
But the Kindle app is a bit disturbing...
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #319
mgmueller
Member Retired

Where's my Surface Pro?

I'm loosing patience!
I really love Surface RT and want to have the Surface Pro...
There are sooo many on stock in the US still....
Microsoft: Come up to speed, ship them already to Europe and the rest of the world...

I'm really tempted to order from the US. Won't be able to resist much longer...
When Googling, you find more than a thousand Surface Pros 128GB, ca. $ US 1.100 to $ US 1.400...
Nice profit margins for those merchants. Still cheap enough, the German price probably will be $ US 1.300 = € 1.000 anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20 Surface Pros.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	102201   Click image for larger version

Name:	25 Surface Pros.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	102202  

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-02-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #320
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
End of March seems to be the favoured estimate of the world-wide release. I suspect that Microsoft want to sort out supply problems before a wider release.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #321
mgmueller
Member Retired

Surface Pro

...just bought a US Surface Pro 128GB via Ebay Germany.
Should be here on Wednesday.
I've hesitated for some time.
For one, I don't want to have the US power supply (well, I'll probably buy a German one as soon as accessories are available from Microsoft Germany).
And of course I had to pay a hefty uplift: € 1.250 vs. $ 999 = 60% uplift!
I could have ordered from Ebay US. Prices typically are in the range of $ 1.100 from 3rd party suppliers.
$ 1.100 + 19% tax + $ 50 shipment = ca. $ 1.400 = ca. 1.100.
So I might have been able to save € 100...

Anyway: I absolutely hate the marketing of Microsoft. How hard is it to schedule and announce a roadmap? "Bigger than expected demand" can't be an explanation. It would be nonsense, to postpone for example a European product launch because of demand in the US. As we all know, interest is very short spanned. If they postpone the European launch by, let's say, 5 months, they loose about 1/3rd of the lifespan I assume for such a product...

Whatever...

I'm really curious and will post most likely on Wednesday around noon CET.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #322
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Ahh, when bitten by the bug of gadgetitis....
Looking forward to what you have to say about it. I went to a Swedish MediaMarkt (Germany's BestBuy) a few days ago for some hands on experience with the Surface. I found it a tad heavy to hold compared with other 10" tablets, weight is probably the same but I guess it is how it is balanced. Did like the presence of a regular USB port, is that port posted so you can use a non-powered USB hub with it?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #323
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
...Did like the presence of a regular USB port, is that port posted so you can use a non-powered USB hub with it?
Yes, you can.

I really like the Surface RT, that you've seen in Media Markt.
But quite frankly, I slightly prefer Dell Latitude 10.
I don't have any problems with Windows RT per se. But I'm still missing some "essential" apps.
On Dell Latitude 10, being a full blown Windows 8 Pro device, so far I have been able to run 99% of the (legacy) software I've tested.
Only exception: I wasn't able to run BlueStacks, when briefly trying. But it was a version, specifically for the Microsoft Surface Pro. So I guess, the Atom processor in Dell Latitude 10 isn't adequate. But for the rest, I really like the Windows tablets.

Yes, desktop mode is a bit flimsy (hitting relatively small icons and menus with your finger). The WACOM pen on Latitude 10 certainly helps, so will the pen on Surface Pro.
Still, I have to admit: Desktop mode is not perfect.
But on the other hand, it offers sheer endless possibilities, compared to iOS or Android.
And Metro mode (or whatever it is called nowadays), in my opinion, absolutely can compete with usability of iOS and Android.

So I went for the Latitude 10, because I didn't like the fan on Sony Duo 11 and Toshiba Satellite U920.
With its ARM processor, no fan is needed.
And it's powerful enough as my "travel companion" on the train.

But I absolutely love the design, touch and feel and form factor of Surface RT.
So I had to wait for its "big brother", of course.
I'm a bit anxious about the fan.
Most reviews state, you don't even hear it.
Others state exactly the opposite ("like a hoover").

But the rest, being similar to Surface RT, should be fine.

Re. the weight of Surface RT, you've experienced:
Some state, they find it nearly impossible to hold in portrait mode.
For one, it's very narrow (16:9 vs. 4:3).
Second of all, it's balanced differently than other tablets because of the longer lever (and maybe even the position of some innards).
Honestly, I mainly use it in landscape mode, quite contrary to most other tablets.
But I'm perfectly fine in portrait mode as well, for example for my home newspaper "Süddeutsche Zeitung".
I always have been a fan of such narrow units, did love Sony 900 for example.
I hold it differentyl than other tablets.
iPad I always hold at the bottom. I basically rest it on my right hand and support it with my fingers. I'm not enthusiastic about its curved edges, but it's workable.
Surface RT, I hold on the side in the middle. Close to the Windows button. Works for me.

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-03-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #324
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would get a Surface in a heart beat if I knew I could combine it with external monitors, keyboard and mouse, but I think the ports were on opposite sides so you couldn't use it in portrait mode. The salesman said it only copied the monitor and didn't expand into a second monitor for the desktop.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #325
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I would get a Surface in a heart beat if I knew I could combine it with external monitors, keyboard and mouse, but I think the ports were on opposite sides so you couldn't use it in portrait mode. The salesman said it only copied the monitor and didn't expand into a second monitor for the desktop.
That's not my usage pattern.
But I'm pretty sure, for example the docking station for my Dell Latitude 10 would serve your purposes.
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna...&sku=452-11630
Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #326
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Why not use bluetooth mouse and keyboard?
And only connect a monitor physically? Via HDMI or VGA should work flawlessly.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #327
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Why not use bluetooth mouse and keyboard?
And only connect a monitor physically? Via HDMI or VGA should work flawlessly.
You're right, keyboard and mouse isn't really a problem, but there are other peripherals, albeit a tad old, that I would connect with USB, the thing is I'd want two monitors, one landscape and one portrait. If I can have that I'd be very interested, that way I could disconnect when going on the road and reconnect when I come back.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #328
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
You're right, keyboard and mouse isn't really a problem, but there are other peripherals, albeit a tad old, that I would connect with USB, the thing is I'd want two monitors, one landscape and one portrait. If I can have that I'd be very interested, that way I could disconnect when going on the road and reconnect when I come back.
It sounds like you are essentially wanting a docking station to use it as your main computer. In my opinion, it's not a good choice for that.

My RT has replaced my laptop for mobile use, but not my home PC. And the more I think about it, the less I want a single device to do everything. Too many compromises.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #329
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Maybe something here will solve your problem.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #330
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Maybe something here will solve your problem.
That was a lot of specialized toys. I'm actually happy with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with one glaring exception, it doesn't run MS Office, running Office is the only reason I'm interested in a Surface. I took a closer look at the Dell Inspiron 10 and that may be a workable solution, it's just a bit on the expensive side with the docking station.