Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #76
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Did they REALLY remove sound support from the new paperwhite kindle? That would suck.
Yes they did.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #77
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Did they REALLY remove sound support from the new paperwhite kindle? That would suck.
It looks like they did. TTS is not listed at all on the eink Kindle pages. If you want audio, looks like Amazon is forcing you to the Fire lineup.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #78
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes they did.
And they cut the storage space in half too?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #79
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
It looks like they did. TTS is not listed at all on the eink Kindle pages. If you want audio, looks like Amazon is forcing you to the Fire lineup.
If you look under the specs on the page it shows - where Audio is suppose to be. No Sounds, Less Storage are two drawbacks.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #80
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I never used TTS so I won't miss it. The reduction in storage space is concerning but, I still have 2,892MB free on my Kindle Keyboard so I guess it won't matter too much to me either.
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #81
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I never used TTS so I won't miss it. The reduction in storage space is concerning but, I still have 2,892MB free on my Kindle Keyboard so I guess it won't matter too much to me either.
The only thing that concerns me is if they remove percentage done completely all the screen shots show the new time left feature. I'm hoping at least when you touch menu it shows the percentage or it's going to be pain to record my progress on Goodreads.

I just saw a hands on video. It is there!

Last edited by Blossom; 09-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #82
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I ordered the $139 version, and the estimated delivery date (with one-day Prime shipping) is Oct. 10, 2012 Hopefully that is just Amazon tormenting me, and not the actual delivery date.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #83
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The only thing that concerns me is if they remove percentage done completely all the screen shots show the new time left feature. I'm hoping at least when you touch menu it shows the percentage or it's going to be pain to record my progress on Goodreads.
The Verge has a quick video showing the PW in use. It doesn't look like there is a percentage indicator, but I would suggest waiting until more detailed review.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/329...white-hands-on
Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #84
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
... nixxed the audio...

And they cut the storage space in half too?
The Horror. The horror...

twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #85
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The Verge has a quick video showing the PW in use. It doesn't look like there is a percentage indicator, but I would suggest waiting until more detailed review.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/329...white-hands-on
I see it! It's there! *phew* it on the the side of the page. Okay now I am very happy. No more worries!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #86
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I tried it for fiction once on my K3 and didn't care for it. The one area where I would miss it, is proofreading. It's helpful to have the Kindle read to me, robot voice and all, to spot mistakes that my eyes simply read over. I've never listened to an audio book on it.

The good news, Amazon has no plans to scrap the KK.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #87
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I ordered the $139 version, and the estimated delivery date (with one-day Prime shipping) is Oct. 10, 2012 Hopefully that is just Amazon tormenting me, and not the actual delivery date.
Same KPW and date here, pre-ordered as soon as it popped up on the website. Strange, just a few moments ago, clicking on the $119 (SO) version, a delivery date of 10/2 appeared. I remember the same shipping date fiasco the same time last year with all the hand-wringing and I think it will be no different this time around. I plan to just sit back, relax and look forward to seeing those familiar brown boxes with the Amazon logos arriving.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #88
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Same KPW and date here, pre-ordered as soon as it popped up on the website. Strange, just a few moments ago, clicking on the $119 (SO) version, a delivery date of 10/2 appeared. I remember the same shipping date fiasco the same time last year with all the hand-wringing and I think it will be no different this time around. I plan to just sit back, relax and look forward to seeing those familiar brown boxes with the Amazon logos arriving.
Well, it's not like I don't have 4 older Kindles to fall back on. It's more of a sickness than a need.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #89
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Well, it's not like I don't have 4 older Kindles to fall back on. It's more of a sickness than a need.
LOL. I'm right there with you. Four older Kindles and a couple of tablets.

Still, I am really looking forward to reading on the much-improved display.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #90
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Same model here. My estimate is Oct. 3rd with 2-day shipping, I ordered as soon as they went up on the site.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote