Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Sony Library stuck

My Sony Library software can not load successfully.

Once I launch the executable, nothing happens. However, its process is running according to the Task Manager.

I've read countless other threads about uninstalling this software and deleting various folders.

However, I don't see how this applies when I have a clean install on a system that has never had Sony Library previously installed.

Any ideas?

Environment:
Reader Library 3.1
Windows 7
DEP set to essential programs only
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
This is from another thread:

"You need to make sure that Reader Library is exempt from Data Execution Prevention. It is a Vista protection to prevent corruption of files, but it messes some software up. If you go to Sony online support there is a detailed explanation for how to add Reader Library to the list of programs exempted. In a nutshell it is
Control Panel>System>Tasks>Advanced system settings>performance>DEP"

Don't know if this applies to Windows 7. Hope it helps. I'm sure someone with Windows 7 knowledge will chime in.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thats what I was thinking but it's already on the "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"

It's not on the "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select"

Since Reader Library isn't a Windows program/service, I don't see how DEP could be applied and affecting it.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
This thread might apply to you:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72837

I have a similar problem on an XP machine - so I don't think that this is a Win7 issue.
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
alexbush
alexbush began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Unhelpful of me I know but I still have a similar problem on XP and have tried all of the fixes on this forum with no success. The only way around it for me has been to revert to V3.0 of the reader software and ignore all of Sony's invitations to upgrade.
alexbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 AM   #6
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbush View Post
The only way around it for me has been to revert to V3.0 of the reader software and ignore all of Sony's invitations to upgrade.
Alternatively, switch to Calibre and deactivate Sony's reader software.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
sherya mathur
Enthusiast
sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: saamabook
what are the good manual for learning for working with reader software.
sherya mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
sherya mathur
Enthusiast
sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherya mathur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: saamabook
if we wants that, if our reader is out of service then what must do to do solve this problem without taking any type of human resources.
sherya mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxx View Post
Alternatively, switch to Calibre and deactivate Sony's reader software.
That's doesn't do any good if you need to purchase books from Sony. Nor does it get you Adobe DE unless that is installed separately.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
drmaxx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's doesn't do any good if you need to purchase books from Sony.
That's the beauty about the Sony e-reader: You don't need to buy books from one specific vendor. Plenty of places to go and get good deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Nor does it get you Adobe DE unless that is installed separately.
That's the set-up on my system. I deactivated the autorun of Sony's software, so that it does not start every time I am connecting the reader. Additionally, I have Adobe DE installed and if I buy from e.g. Kobe then the download is managed by Adobe DE. Afterwards I just import the book in Calibre. 80% of all the books I download are without DRM, which I can directly manage with Calibre. So far this is hassle free and I don't have to deal with the flaky behavior of the Sony software.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
For me, my library index file got corrupted somehow. For whatever reason, one particular book, when loaded into the library, would corrupt the index file. I had to clear the library (do not delete from your PC!) and then delete the index file and reload my library, with the exception of the offending book. I found which it was through trial and error (it was some book I had converted to epub on my own, not a purchased book). I can't remember the name of the index file, but if you uninstall the Reader software, and then delete the files under your Users folder, you should be fine.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
jessie102
Addict

where are the files located in the Users folder?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
LaLa4363
Enthusiast
LaLa4363 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen,iPod touch,iPad, iPhone 4
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This is from another thread:

"You need to make sure that Reader Library is exempt from Data Execution Prevention. It is a Vista protection to prevent corruption of files, but it messes some software up. If you go to Sony online support there is a detailed explanation for how to add Reader Library to the list of programs exempted. In a nutshell it is
Control Panel>System>Tasks>Advanced system settings>performance>DEP"

Don't know if this applies to Windows 7. Hope it helps. I'm sure someone with Windows 7 knowledge will chime in.
I had this problem a few days and this actually fixed my problem. However, today I am having the same problem again and this is not working.
LaLa4363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
LaLa4363
Enthusiast
LaLa4363 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen,iPod touch,iPad, iPhone 4
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa4363 View Post
I had this problem a few days and this actually fixed my problem. However, today I am having the same problem again and this is not working.
I had to restart my computer and this fixed my problem.
LaLa4363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa4363 View Post
I had to restart my computer and this fixed my problem.
You know that on a Windows machine that's the first step in troubleshooting.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote