Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Not being a battery guru I may just not understand but those have only 2 wires. Robert's picture showes 3 wires.
If the V5 uses a 3 wire battery, that is what it needs. IIRC, a two wire battery does not have an internal battery controller, but a 3 wire one does. The third wire allows the battery controller in the battery to communicate with the microprocessor inside the device.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
So, far, it seems there are extended batteries out that are compatible with GB/TI8287-2000, but the design of the battery, if the pictures are accurate, would indicate they are physically incompatible. The main problem is that any site I go to has the same picture for displaying the battery.

2600Mah Battery

1200Mah Battery

An alternate reference # seem to be CS-ET280SL

The GB/T18287-2000 or CS-ET280SL batteries are typically found in these devices:
Dallab DP900 PDA
Dallab xg 500p PDA
Lenovo Lenove ET280 PDA

If I had to guess, this battery seems like a close alternative. This battery is for the Ipod Photo.
PMPAIPHOTO

Of course, all this information is gleaned from web searches, so all the information could be inaccurate.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
GB/T18287-2000 is a standard and not a battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyRich View Post
So, far, it seems there are extended batteries out that are compatible with GB/TI8287-2000, but the design of the battery, if the pictures are accurate, would indicate they are physically incompatible. The main problem is that any site I go to has the same picture for displaying the battery.

2600Mah Battery

1200Mah Battery

An alternate reference # seem to be CS-ET280SL

The GB/T18287-2000 or CS-ET280SL batteries are typically found in these devices:
Dallab DP900 PDA
Dallab xg 500p PDA
Lenovo Lenove ET280 PDA

If I had to guess, this battery seems like a close alternative. This battery is for the Ipod Photo.
PMPAIPHOTO

Of course, all this information is gleaned from web searches, so all the information could be inaccurate.
Dear All:

We are waiting for the factory to give us an accurate battery number and link. Shopping by the battery standard does little good. It is the three wires that throw us off. They have promised to respond immediately and I will post; but it sure does not look now to us like a simple cell phone battery as I thought it was. We will be exact.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
They have promised to respond immediately and I will post; but it sure does not look now to us like a simple cell phone battery as I thought it was. We will be exact.
It is still much better than having to perform a complicated disassembly of device before you get to the battery.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #20
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
So, far, it seems there are extended batteries out that are compatible with GB/TI8287-2000
GB/TI8287-2000 is a standard, not the reference of the battery. It's like if you were using the term ROHS to shop for compatible accessory.
And many battery reseller don't bother to take a picture for every batteries they sell, they use a common picture that will not necessarily looks like the actual product.

Better to wait for RobertB to provide a link, now that we caught his attention.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #21
Sorraia3
Sorraia3 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-600
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

We are waiting for the factory to give us an accurate battery number and link. Shopping by the battery standard does little good. It is the three wires that throw us off. They have promised to respond immediately and I will post; but it sure does not look now to us like a simple cell phone battery as I thought it was. We will be exact.

Well? It's been two weeks. Do we have an answer on this yet or not?

This is the deciding factor on if I buy this ereader or not, so I need to know that these batteries will be replaceable locally with a name brand and I won't have to order some
Chinese crap from Astak every time I want a new one.

I've seen several threads about these damn batteries now and even a post from Robert saying the FAQ was updated 2 days ago and now has the battery info, but it doesn't, it just says to contact customer service if the battery it came with is no good. As much as I was hyped up to get this device I'm starting to get a little turned off and am back to considering Sony again.

Why is it so difficult to get a replacement battery name and part number? This should be simple, basic info for a replaceable battery, not a month long project.

Do I even dare to ask about the memory cards and case? LOL

Last edited by Sorraia3; 09-21-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Sorraia3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #22
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorraia3 View Post
Well? It's been two weeks. Do we have an answer on this yet or not?

This is the deciding factor on if I buy this ereader or not, so I need to know that these batteries will be replaceable locally with a name brand and I won't have to order some
Chinese crap from Astak every time I want a new one.

I've seen several threads about these damn batteries now and even a post from Robert saying the FAQ was updated 2 days ago and now has the battery info, but it doesn't, it just says to contact customer service if the battery it came with is no good. As much as I was hyped up to get this device I'm starting to get a little turned off and am back to considering Sony again.

Why is it so difficult to get a replacement battery name and part number? This should be simple, basic info for a replaceable battery, not a month long project.

Do I even dare to ask about the memory cards and case? LOL
I've emailed support asking how much a replacement battery is, so I shall post the reply if I ever get one...never heard back about my first enquiry about warranty and international shipping (which I found out through the international order link onwww.astak.com and not www.theezreader.com where I thought they might have the option of international sales as well).

Now speaking of cases, does anyone ever think we'll see new cases for the PP available? Different colours/styles like the 6"?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #23
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Robert,
do you have the battery info?

Thanks
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #24
Sorraia3

I wrote to customer service and this was their response...

Hi Jen,

The battery is not a standard Nokia or Samsung battery and I do not have the specs on it, but if you need one, you can order one directly from us by calling 866-368-8788, Mondays-Fridays, 10-6pm, Pacific Time (we don't sell them on our website yet).

thanks,
Amy

Now, that would be great, except A.) if I suddenly need a new battery, I don't want to go through the hassle of ordering and waiting, I want to run out to the store and buy one and B.) I don't want a crappy chinese battery, I want a long lasting brand name one. At this point I may order one just to see what's under the tape and chinese label. It's not unusual for some companies to take a product and relabel it with their own label, so who knows.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #25
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorraia3 View Post
Now, that would be great, except A.) if I suddenly need a new battery, I don't want to go through the hassle of ordering and waiting, I want to run out to the store and buy one and B.) I don't want a crappy chinese battery, I want a long lasting brand name one. At this point I may order one just to see what's under the tape and chinese label. It's not unusual for some companies to take a product and relabel it with their own label, so who knows.
I tend to agree...If you decide to order through Astak, please let us know what they are charging for the spare battery.

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #26
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I tend to agree...If you decide to order through Astak, please let us know what they are charging for the spare battery.

Ditto -- it's disappointing, as the easy replacement was a selling point. We even had the whole thread in which Robertb had someone on staff find a replacement battery online for like $10.

I credit Robertb with telling us subsequently that it wasn't so simple, but it sounds like it is significantly less open and easy. It's still a good thing if Astak sells us replacement batteries cheaply, but as you've said, not nearly as convenient as being able to buy one at your local store. And, of course, if they sell the batteries not-cheaply, then there's no advantage vs the competition at all on that point.
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #27
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlac View Post
I credit Robertb with telling us subsequently that it wasn't so simple, but it sounds like it is significantly less open and easy. It's still a good thing if Astak sells us replacement batteries cheaply, but as you've said, not nearly as convenient as being able to buy one at your local store. And, of course, if they sell the batteries not-cheaply, then there's no advantage vs the competition at all on that point.
I would settle for easily replaceable with a battery off eBay. Since I live way out in the "boonies" a local store does not have much more than flashlight batteries.
I am still waiting for my PP, but I have a Hanlin V3 and it's OEM battery gave me some problems similar to what I read here. It was a simple matter to order an inexpensive Nokia BL-5C battery off eBay and kiss my battery problem goodbye. I wonder why they changed battery types between the V3 and the V5, when the battery capacities are nearly the same?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #28
Sorraia3

I wrote back to them again asking about getting the battery locally, cost, etc as well as if there will be other accessories available for the device. Here is the reply...

Hi Jen,

We asked our manufacturer for the specs, and according to them, the battery is a very special model and its highly unlikely that it will be available in the US, but you can still check with your local store:

Polymer Li-Ion battery
3.7V 1000mAH

If you wish to buy it from us, it costs $14.99 before tax. Shipping will be around $5, depending on where you live. We are currently only shipping it to customers within the US.

We don't have other accessories, but if you want to buy memory cards there are many available on Amazon.com. Just make sure that they are class 4 or below, otherwise they wont be compatible.

Best,
Amy

Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #29
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Googling brought up this based on Amy's email.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P13RSK/...SIN=B001P13RSK
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #30
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Googling brought up this based on Amy's email.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P13RSK/...SIN=B001P13RSK
Technical Details

* High Quality, high capacity, light weight rechargeable DC 3.7V Li-Polymer 1000mAh battery.
* Longer battery life than the original battery that comes with the Mobile Phone.
* No memory effect. Can be charged or discharged as needed without loss of capacity.
* Overcharge protection, with built-in battery life microchip.
* 12 months Manufacturer warranty
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote