Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Almiel
regrets buying PocketBook
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CoolReader (Android), Pocketbook 360 Ivory
book cover images

Hi, I've got the 360 and I've made my first 2 epubs. The first displays the book cover image in the bookshelf but the 2nd doesn't. The only difference that I can tell is that the first uses a jpeg and the 2nd a png. Does pocketbook not support png as a book cover? The image does display inside the book, as well as all the other pngs.
Almiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Almiel
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok, I experimented and made the cover a gif: it didn't show. Made the cover a jpeg and now it shows. That, to me, is not right. Some images (as mine is in this case) are better suited as png format. Also, if I download an epub with a non-jpeg cover, I won't see it (except if it's a page in the book also).
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almiel View Post
ok, I experimented and made the cover a gif: it didn't show. Made the cover a jpeg and now it shows. That, to me, is not right. Some images (as mine is in this case) are better suited as png format. Also, if I download an epub with a non-jpeg cover, I won't see it (except if it's a page in the book also).
The software doesn't support png right now.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
opps, mistake
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I would love to get to the bottom of the "missing thumbnail images" in the bookshelf view.

All my books are epub.
All of them are created in Calibre.
Therefore all use jpg as the cover image format.
All of them display the cover correctly when I open the book in AdobeViewer.

However, some of them (a minority) do not display the cover in either the Thumbnails view or the Details view.

I did some testing a couple of months ago with one of these 'no-thumbnail' books (source was HTML file). I used the same cover image throughout the testing.

I reduced the book content down to a few chapters and created an epub in Calibre. When I sent it to the PB360, lo & behold, the thumbnail appeared. So far, so good.

I then put all the content back in the HTML and reconverted to epub. When I re-sent this to the PB360 (overwriting the reduced epub with the same name) I still had a thumbnail Even better.

Then I deleted the epub on the PB360 and re-sent again from Calibre. This time back to no thumbnail

I'm ashamed to say, I gave up at this point and switched to a different bookshelf view.

P.S. There is no DRM on any of these epubs.

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-23-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: note re: DRM
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I would love to get to the bottom of the "missing thumbnail images" in the bookshelf view.

All my books are epub.
All of them are created in Calibre.
Therefore all use jpg as the cover image format.
All of them display the cover correctly when I open the book in AdobeViewer.

However, some of them (a minority) do not display the cover in either the Thumbnails view or the Details view.

I did some testing a couple of months ago with one of these 'no-thumbnail' books (source was HTML file).

I reduced the book content down to a few chapters and created an epub in Calibre. When I sent it to the PB360, lo & behold, the thumbnail appeared. So far, so good.

I then put all the content back in the HTML and reconverted to epub. When I re-sent this to the PB360 (overwriting the reduced epub with the same name) I still had a thumbnail Even better.

Then I deleted the epub on the PB360 and re-sent again from Calibre. This time back to no thumbnail

I'm ashamed to say, I gave up at this point and switched to a different bookshelf view.
Is this a general or an individual experience?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hmm..I only have a small collection right now. I just double checked though and my books that do not have drm show the cover in pb360 but those with drm do not. I can add a cover in calibre but since I cannot convert again with the drm, they do not come across. Interestingly though if I open them in ADE on my pc I do see a cover. The cover does not import into calibre and if I add through ade directly to the pocketbook it does not either from what I have seen.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Device: Hanlin V3, PB360
I'm having trouble displaying images in epubs on PB360. My images are .jpgs and I've developed using Sigil. The images display OK when I generate up a prc with Mobigen. They also display correctly in ADE, ebook-viewer and my Hanlin. Is there any fix for this problem? Is there something specific that needs to be done to the images? The code is OK as far as I can see.
mysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweety View Post
I'm having trouble displaying images in epubs on PB360. My images are .jpgs and I've developed using Sigil. The images display OK when I generate up a prc with Mobigen. They also display correctly in ADE, ebook-viewer and my Hanlin. Is there any fix for this problem? Is there something specific that needs to be done to the images? The code is OK as far as I can see.
Do you mean images within the body of the epub (rather than cover image)? If so, I am able to see epub images when using both the AdobeViewer and fbreader viewing apps on the PB360. All my epubs are created by Calibre rather than Sigil. I don't know whether this is relevant but I know Calibre reduces large image sizes to a suitable size for the specified reader.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

I am unable to see both within and as cover. I don't think it's a question of size but that the native PB360 finds difficulty in locating images if they are in a separate directory within the epub. The same seems to be true for the toc. I don't seem to have either the AdobeViewer or fb reader on my PB360 v 14.2. How did you get them?
I passes the epub through mobigen to make a .mobi and low and behold the images materialized.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't seem to have either the AdobeViewer or fb reader on my PB360 v 14.2. How did you get them?
You should have both of these built-in as standard. If you highlight an EPUB book in the bookshelf (not the Recently Read list) then press and hold the OK button you will get a mini menu. The first item is 'Open with'. If you select this then you will get the 2 different reading app options.

Quote:
I am unable to see both within and as cover. I don't think it's a question of size but that the native PB360 finds difficulty in locating images if they are in a separate directory within the epub. The same seems to be true for the toc.
This is an interesting observation. I think Calibre puts all constituent files (images, css, toc.ncx etc) in a single directory within the EPUB. Perhaps this is why I can see the images in my EPUBs. However, since the cover.jpeg is also in this same directory it doesn't explain why the PB360 Thumbnail view sometimes can't see it but AdobeViewer always can.

[Edit: Correction - I don't think it is the Calibre conversion which puts all constituent files in one directory. I think this happens if your source is raw HTML which references images in a sub-dir. The drag-drop into Calibre seems to flatten all files into a single zipped dir.

For info, if you want fbreader to see the cover image as the first page of a Calibre-created EPUB then I think you have to make sure that you select the 'No SVG cover' option in the Calibre conversion options.

I'm now off to see if I can find any non-Calibre EPUBs with images in a sub-directory to see if I can replicate your problem.

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-31-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
mysweety
Connoisseur

I have now installed fbreader 0.9.2 version with the extensions file https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=pb360&page=10
from Schnitzelbrain. Everything works fine and I can now see all images. It seems that the native version is a problem. I can also see the toc. If you use sigil for conversion to epub I think you'll find it very satisfactory.
Basically from and file e.g. html screen read to openoffice word and do any adjustments. Then save as openoffice html. Then into sigil and do toc and section breaks. You can use the first page as a cover or do a separate image for cover. Sigil allows you to fine tune much more than calibre.
For pdf you need to ajust end-of-line hard breaks first.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I don't have too many non-Calibre EPUBs but I did find one with images in a sub-dir. The PB360 displayed images as expected - so no problem there.

Thanks for your suggestion to switch to Sigil, but I have too much time/effort invested in making Calibre/MSWord cooperate to produce nice-looking EPUBs. I don't have any problems creating TOCs in Calibre.

I have no reason to believe my Thumbnail images problem is anything to do with Calibre as many EPUBs display just fine. Unless a few more people contribute their own experiences with PocketBook Thumbnails I guess I'm going to stay wondering.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I have too much time/effort invested in making Calibre/MSWord cooperate to produce nice-looking EPUBs. I don't have any problems creating TOCs in Calibre.
If I may ask, what process/settings do you use?
My results are... inconsistent... when I go from Word to rtf or html to calibre.
I've taken to going from word to .LIT to .epub to get consistent results on Tocs and chapter splits. (Which is no big problem since Calibre is very fast doing .lit to .epub.)
D'you have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
Almiel

Quote:
I don't have too many non-Calibre EPUBs but I did find one with images in a sub-dir. The PB360 displayed images as expected - so no problem there.
I've made 3 so far (from the ground up). 2 have images in a sub-directory and 1 doesn't (because it's only 3 pages and 1 image). The first I did completely from scratch because I wanted to understand all the inner workings. The 2nd I used sigil to do the dirty work, then finished it by hand. I don't have any problems in fbreader or adobeviewer seeing the images. That's a weird one. I don't use calibre.

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion to switch to Sigil, but I have too much time/effort invested in making Calibre/MSWord cooperate to produce nice-looking EPUBs. I don't have any problems creating TOCs in Calibre.
I'm guessing this refers to the fix you made regarding images in adobeviewer running off the screen. I fixed that by using css to make the image's height = 99% (if I want it "full screen") -- the width will adjust automatically in proportion.

Quote:
I have no reason to believe my Thumbnail images problem is anything to do with Calibre as many EPUBs display just fine. Unless a few more people contribute their own experiences with PocketBook Thumbnails I guess I'm going to stay wondering.
Could you post a misbehaving epub here and I'll try it out? If I have problems too I could look at the code and maybe see what's wrong.