Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think it's inevitable that Canada will join the "life+70" club sooner or later. That's the copyright term that the overwhelming majority of western nations now have.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #32
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Until Hollywood forces life + 100
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #33
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A little more comment. It is not inevitable the Canada will go life + 70 unless they are coerced into it. And when I say coerced, I mean just that. If you look at the Australian conversion from life +50 to life + 70, it was done by US coercion. Specifically, the US made it a non negotiable part of a major free trade agreement with Australia. They swallowed it in order to get the free trade pact.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 07-21-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's just my personal opinion, Ralph. I may very well be wrong, but 70 years appears now to be the general consensus among developed nations about what's considered a "reasonable" term.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #35
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I believe Mexico is life+100 and when life+70 starts expiring my guess is that's going to be everyone else's next step too.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #36
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's just my personal opinion, Ralph. I may very well be wrong, but 70 years appears now to be the general consensus among developed nations about what's considered a "reasonable" term.
In my personal opinion, Harry, it is not the consensus among the people of the developed nations, but merely the consensus of developed nation's politicians, being paid by rich corporations to do their bidding. And I consider politicians "paid" whether or not there is a quid pro quo or merely a number of campaign contributions...

And when those corporations start losing copyright protections for paying properties, they'll pay for some more extension. After all, that's how Berne got extended from Life + 50 to Life + 70 in the first place. Check the US government in about another 6-8 years. (1923 + 95 = 2018 -2009 = 9 more years and things start falling into the public domain again. Any bets that Congress doesn't extend them again? (And goes after Berne as well))...

RSE
Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I believe Mexico is life+100 and when life+70 starts expiring my guess is that's going to be everyone else's next step too.
It's "expiring" every year, as time passes, and new books are entering the public domain - everywhere except the USA. Eg, the books of authors who died in 1938 are now in the public domain in the UK; they were not last year. Please don't judge the copyright systems of the entire world by the (forgive my saying so, but it's true) peculiar system that the US has adopted.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
In my personal opinion, Harry, it is not the consensus among the people of the developed nations, but merely the consensus of developed nation's politicians, being paid by rich corporations to do their bidding. And I consider politicians "paid" whether or not there is a quid pro quo or merely a number of campaign contributions...
I must very respectfully disagree with you, Ralph. Eg, the British Parliament recently rejected a call to increase music "performance copyright" from its current 50 year time, despite considerable pressure from the music industry to do so. Governments don't always bow to the whims of commercial pressures, I'm happy to say.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I must very respectfully disagree with you, Ralph. Eg, the British Parliament recently rejected a call to increase music "performance copyright" from its current 50 year time, despite considerable pressure from the music industry to do so. Governments don't always bow to the whims of commercial pressures, I'm happy to say.
I'm afraid you're wrong there. The UK Government commissioned a report - the "Gower Report" that came out very strongly against extending the copyright length.

The Government is still going along with current European moves to extend the mechanical copyright from 50 to 70 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/4...us-anyway.html
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #40
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
DOH!

I went to check on the Animal Farm books, read that the author dies in 1985. I wondered what all the fuss was about since it was impossible for his works to be in the PD for another 50 years.

It was then I realized I had looked up Orson Welles instead of George Orwell.

DOH
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong there. The UK Government commissioned a report - the "Gower Report" that came out very strongly against extending the copyright length.

The Government is still going along with current European moves to extend the mechanical copyright from 50 to 70 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/4...us-anyway.html
Bugger. Thanks, Paul; I'd missed that .
Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
After all, that's how Berne got extended from Life + 50 to Life + 70 in the first place.
Actually, the Berne Convention is still 'only' lifetime+50 years. Otherwise Canada couldn't be party to it.

The lifetime+70 started to gain ground when the EU standardised its copyright lengths in the mid 1980s. The USA joined in a decade later, and is now compelling other countries to also sign up to lifetime+70.

It's a total distortion of copyright as an economic incentive to production. The longer of 50 years and life is /more/ than enough to allow creators to gain from their works.

The interesting thing is that it's not the royalty to the author that keeps prices of in-copyright books high. It's the monopoly of the publisher. Note that for a 7 UKP paperback at most 0.7 UKP goes to the author. And yet "Wordsworth Classics" sell at 2 UKP and still make a profit for the publisher.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #43
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Why don't the politicians just simplify things? All this life + whatever is confusing. I propose that we use a new unit to measure the length of copyrights that is simple and honestly describes the process. This new unit is called the Mickey. The length of a copyright automatically extends to whatever is required to keep Mickey Mouse from going public domain. No more bothering the poor politicians with passing new legislation every few years, just automatically extend the copyright term every time old Mickey is in danger. And think of the children! They will be protected from seeing their hero sullied by public domain ruffians.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #44
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Yeah, the MICKEY!!

griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #45
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
It's "expiring" every year, as time passes, and new books are entering the public domain - everywhere except the USA. Eg, the books of authors who died in 1938 are now in the public domain in the UK; they were not last year. Please don't judge the copyright systems of the entire world by the (forgive my saying so, but it's true) peculiar system that the US has adopted.
Yes, I know that in some countries works are "expiring". That's why I started this thread in the first place. I wanted to alert Mobilereaders to some authors that would be entering into the public domain in the near future.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Please don't judge the copyright systems of the entire world by the peculiar system that the US has adopted." I believe my criticism of countries that extend copyright protections, which have the affect of keeping works out of the public domain, is a valid criticism and is flaw affecting many nations and not just a pecuilar feature of the U.S. system.

Last edited by Daithi; 07-21-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote