Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #46
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
This isn't 'numerous forums". It isn't a Sony Forum, or a Kindle forum. Its MobileRead, an every e-book reader forum.
I'll also take up the mantle against the "Go back to the Sony forum" bit. If the point of this is to make plain the myths, truths and partial truths about the Kindle, it would be far better served with all people offering their opinions and observations, even if critical or contradictory (since a lot of the premised "outsiders" may have considered the Kindle prior to their choice of device). It allows far better refinement of both this thread, and the wiki, if it moves towards precision. From a purely objective standpoint, even Jon's subjectivity (and that's without mentioning his objective references) is, in the end, helpful.

That is to say, I'm a huge fan of "myths and facts" articles. Let's not let this descend to accusation and petty squabble, hey, if only for the sake of the OP and their helpful intent.

Quote:
And we stay civil.
Up yours, dg.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Someone calls the trolls out and look who shows up...

Hi Marc.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #48
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Up yours, dg.

Cheers,
Marc

Right back atcha, Marc!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #49
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
JSWolf,

You were being pedantic. Yes, "The Kindle doesn't have a backlight" is not a partial truth. However, the title of the thread is "Myths and Partial Truths" so I used the term "partial truth" in that spirit -- as I addressed a misconception.

Last edited by Daithi; 02-11-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #50
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
JSWolf has been here a long time, posts a lot, and is well respected.
Jon's OK in my book, even if I don't always agree with his positions. He's pretty up-front about them

(And the post at issue was exactly correct -- the backlight issue isn't a partial truth).

People seem to be getting a mite testy lately!

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-11-2009 at 11:52 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #51
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Up yours, dg.
Marc is debuting his campaign for Secretary of State of the land of Oz.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #52
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Dearest Patricia
Quote:
"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
But if you really want to catch flies, try spreading the manure!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #53
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think this is an excellent thread (and an excellent entry for the Wiki), so let's please stick to the topic and either accept or ignore Jon's personal opinion. Personally I don't agree with his view of evilness in the world (Amazon books have DRM, so what? Sony books have DRM, too). As a final resort, there is also the option to put someone on the ignore list...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #54
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Someone calls the trolls out and look who shows up...

Hi Marc.
Myth: I eat trolls for breakfast
Fact: Some days I like a bit of scrambled orc on toast instead

FWIW, I's just tryin' to get the thread back on-message for the OP. While I might not agree with all Jon's opinions, nor his way of placing them, I think cogent rebuttal is far more constructive and convincing than letting the thread descend to off-topic accusation - coherent and non-vehement response makes any "trolling" readily apparent to those who will deal with such things. Thus, my post.

Honest, I didn't just "show up" - this thread interests me for the reasons I state (I love "Myth vs. Fact" stuff), and because if the Kindle was available in Oz I'd have bought one straight up, easy choice, no worries. I've loved the Kindle from 1, and I don't mind 2 either. I range over the different device areas because it all (every gadget) interests me. I'm not a device-loyalist nor a company-loyalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Right back atcha, Marc!
You know I love ya, dg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I think this is an excellent thread (and an excellent entry for the Wiki), so let's please stick to the topic and either accept or ignore Jon's personal opinion.
Aye, that's what I was trying to say, but perhaps I just wasn't the right person to say it, yeah?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #55
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
We have different opinions here, and we voice those differing opinons with (dare I say it?) respectful attitudes when posting, whether it be from a moderator or from a member.

I think most of us here are reasonable men and women who certainly know the definitions of the words "myth" and "truth."

Here's a thought that sometimes astonishes people: HAVE FUN!

(Yes, there is subtext here, but please notice that I've included mucho happy faces.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #56
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
At the risk of once again veering this thread off topic...

Having had a night to sleep on it, I have come to the conclusion that I behaved badly last night.

I still feel that JSWolf was being at least slightly trollish, but that did not justify my postings, which were at best unwise.

I apologize to all, and promise to behave better in future.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #57
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Getting back to the intent of this thread.

Myth - You can't buy an ebook from Amazon unless you have a Kindle registered with them, even if it is DRM free or just Mobipocket.

Truth - (Someone with a Kindle Please answer. I'd really like to know.)
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #58
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Getting back to the intent of this thread.

Myth - You can't buy an ebook from Amazon unless you have a Kindle registered with them, even if it is DRM free or just Mobipocket.

Truth - (Someone with a Kindle Please answer. I'd really like to know.)
Right now, that is the truth. However, with some of the news that has been bandied about, ie Amazon books for phones, that may change in the future.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #59
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Partial Truth: The Kindle is worthless outside the U.S. because of the lack of Whispernet.

Truth: If you live outside the U.S. and manage to get your hands on a Kindle you can still buy books and get them onto the Kindle even without access to Whispernet. Amazon allows you download your ebook purchases to your computer, so after downloading them you just use the USB cable to load the ebooks onto the Kindle.

Truth: Amazon only ships Kindles to U.S. addresses. So if you live outside the U.S. and want a Kindle you will need to have it shipped to a U.S. friend who will then ship it to you. (I'm not sure if Amazon checks the "billing address" of credit cards and won't sell a Kindle if it is not in the U.S.)

Welcome to Mobileread NELAMVR6
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #60
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Daithi, those are excellent (partial) truths.

I hear it again and again from my colleagues in Switzerland that the Kindle is "useless" to them since they cannot use the wireless feature. Obviously not right.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths