Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
Hard case to protect the screen

Sure, there are a lot of cases out there that protects the Nook STR but they all don't protect the most sensitive part of the device well - the screen.

I can't seem to find one non-flex case that protects the screen like the cover that comes with the Pocketbook 360.

Do you have any recommendations? I don't mind if there are scratches on the device. I'm more worried about breaking that fragile screen!

PS: I just bought my first ebook reader (Nook STR) in 5 years. I can't wait until it arrives!

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Actually, most of the cases that are in B&N do a good job of protecting the screen with a rigid front flap. They're not cheap, but they work.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
have anyone tried this interesting Nook STR case? The design seems interesting and the price is right on Overstock with free shipping.

rooCASE Nook Simple Touch Reader Leather Portfolio Case
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...3/product.html
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Personally I think Nook Touch itself is made in such a way that I have hard time seeing its screen cracked by a fall. The screen is recessed a bit and when it falls or hits most surfaces the screen would never be touched.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
quicksilver
dude
quicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enoughquicksilver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Personally I think Nook Touch itself is made in such a way that I have hard time seeing its screen cracked by a fall. The screen is recessed a bit and when it falls or hits most surfaces the screen would never be touched.
I'm not so scared about dropping it and cracking the screen as I'm scared of pushing something against it, bending it and cracking the screen. My last reader broke because I had put it in my backpack and when I sat down other things shifted and pressed against the device, breaking the screen.
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage Edge
I tried it and didn't like it much. It does not stand as pictured and I found the Velcro circle on the back of the frame very irritating to my fingertips. I returned it and exchanged for this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
rooCASE makes great products and the Nook is securely protected with the case.
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
quicksilver
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyenneDonna View Post
I tried it and didn't like it much. It does not stand as pictured and I found the Velcro circle on the back of the frame very irritating to my fingertips. I returned it and exchanged for this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
rooCASE makes great products and the Nook is securely protected with the case.
I like the stand. It seems like it would come in handy, but how hard is the flap that covers the screen? That's my main concern.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
CheyenneDonna
Connoisseur
CheyenneDonna has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I like the stand. It seems like it would come in handy, but how hard is the flap that covers the screen? That's my main concern.
The stand is handy, I read at school a lot, and the flap cover is like a hardback book. About the same thickness and rigidity. I don't think any thing in a backpack or purse could damage the screen with this case.

Last edited by CheyenneDonna; 12-05-2011 at 11:59 AM.
CheyenneDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
THank you CheyenneDonna, it does sound like a good idea. However I wonder how easy it is to fold the cover back to hold the Nook with cover in one hand? I have small hands and holding something thick & heavy for a long time tends to give me pain.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I have the casecrown case http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Stan.../ref=pd_cp_e_1 which sure looks like the same thing to me. The case by itself weighs 5 oz. The front flap folds back very easily. With the cover folded back the whole package ends up being just about an inch thick. I just got the reader and case a few days ago, but I haven't noticed any problem holding it when I took it to work to read at lunchtime. At home, if I planned on sitting and reading for several hours, I think I'd slip the reader out of the case.
The case seems sturdy enough to protect the screen when I'm carrying it around in my bag, though I'm sure it's not bulletproof.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I can't seem to find one non-flex case that protects the screen like the cover that comes with the Pocketbook 360.

Do you have any recommendations? I don't mind if there are scratches on the device. I'm more worried about breaking that fragile screen!
Nothing like that exists. I've always wanted the same thing for my Kindle.

Scientific calculators, like the ones from TI, come with hard slide on covers. Something like that would be a natural for ereaders.

My solution ended up being two cases. I have the standard leather cover from Amazon that always stays on my Kindle. When closed, it provides a rigid front to protect the screen. If my Kindle is going to be placed inside any type of bag, I then place it (with the cover on) inside a padded neoprene sleeve that zips shut. Now I have some shock protection which also prevents small objects from lodging between the cover and the screen.

Good luck finding a solution that you're comfortable with.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
Quote:
I think many of the cases are just going to use cardboard or fiberboard as protection (encased within the cover material). I purchased the iPearl case, which is nice for the price (about 1/3 of what B&N charges for theirs). While not the same quality, it is good enough for my taste.

It has an elastic cord that fits in a recessed channel that keeps the cover closed. The cover folds back as well. I would recommend it.

Bob
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
mercuryrsng
mercuryrsng began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Speck Products Fitfolio Case

This case is by far, the best case that I have found for my Nook STR.
http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products...d_rhf_se_p_t_2

Also cheaper there than any other place that I have found it.

Here is the manufacturer's site.
https://www.speckproducts.com/ereade...ook-touch.html

It is pretty much form fitting. Every other case that I have used has made the Nook at least 2x the size that it is. This barely adds any thickness to it. I absolutely love it.

Last edited by mercuryrsng; 12-28-2011 at 04:25 PM.
mercuryrsng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 AM   #14
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryrsng View Post
This case is by far, the best case that I have found for my Nook STR.
http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products.../dp/B0065GASYG

Also cheaper there than any other place that I have found it.

Here is the manufacturer's site.
https://www.speckproducts.com/ereade...ook-touch.html

It is pretty much form fitting. Every other case that I have used has made the Nook at least 2x the size that it is. This barely adds any thickness to it. I absolutely love it.
This seems perfect what I am looking for. But don't you mean this link?
http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products...d_rhf_se_p_t_2
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
mercuryrsng
mercuryrsng began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Yes, thank you for the error correct! I have since corrected the link in my original post. Many thanks and apologies.
mercuryrsng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, cover, nook