Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Conversion frustration

I have been struggling with conversion of some PDF books that I have to my Sony Reader PRS-505. Specifically it is conversion of Hungarian language document books. These books have special non-ASCII characters, that I can rarely convert properly.

These characters are: őűŐŰ
In unicode: U+0151, U+0150, U+0171, U+U170

If I convert with Calibre, then usually this results in "?" characters in the text (not to mention the totally mistaken paragraph formatting that is a major fault of Calibre).

If I use BookDesigner, sometimes I get good results, sometimes it is the same and many times BookDesigner would not even display the PDF.

With PDF2Epub, there is an option to change the characters but using the above codes results in "?" characters on the reader as well. I can work it around to replace it with similar ASCII characters, but that is not ideal - however this is the best solution I have come up with so far. Is there any way to make these characters display properly in epub on the Reader?

Is there another way to convert these PDFs that works reliably? I would prefer LRF output as that looks much nicer on the PRS-505, but I can live with epub as well.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
What's about embedding a/the font(s) which include these special glyphs in the epub?
Or with copying this font(s) to your reader and pointing the calibre CSS styles to this font(s)?
Both is discussed many times, here and in the calibre section of this forum.
HTH
Mark

PS: You may also try a russified CustomFirmWare (like Boroda/Porkupan or Amutin) or PRS+.
In any case the internal fonts will be replaced with an extended set.
You can check the available glyphs here

Last edited by Mark Nord; 04-16-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typos
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert