Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
ABT discontinued!!?

My order status with ABT for the 950 says "discontinued." You can't even find the product anymore when you search for it on their site. It also reads as "Sony PRS-950 Silver Reader Daily Edition Digital Reader - PRS950SC." Before, their site had said they would be selling the black model.

Urg. I guess it's just time to give up on the black model.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Yep, seems to match the change Sony made to their site about two weeks ago. I would have preferred the black myself, but I'm enjoying the silver version as well.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I had noticed my ABT preorder changed from PRS-950BC to PRS-950SC. I contacted ABT and they told me that on Monday Sony told them they would not be making the black version:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From chat with ABT:
[Ken] It was supposed to be a black PRS-950BC, but I see that it has become PRS-950SC. That indicates they will be silver rather than black. The silver ones are in stock locally, but would have preferred black.

[Jon S.] We got a message from Sony (on Monday) that they won't be producing black anymore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If the silver one is unacceptable and you had a preorder for a black one with ABT, you should probably contact them to make sure it is cancelled.

That said, I bought a silver 950 locally just yesterday...and I love it!
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
hmm.. now the black 650 doesn't look all that bad. do you guys get the glare issue alot from the crome buttons?
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the short time I have used the 950, I have not been distracted by the buttons. But, tell me to not think about pink elephants, and that is all I will think about.
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I just registered my new 950 at the Sony site, and when I typed "PRS-950" in the Model box it gave me the choice of BC or SC versions. It's a shame they didn't go ahead with the black version after all.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
jtcasas
jtcasas began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
This is the email I got from my ABT pre-order. It's a shame, because I won't buy a reader without a dark case.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for placing an order with Abt Electronics.
Unfortunately, your product PRS950BC –(Black) has been discontinued and no longer available in our warehouse.

We are more than happy to change your order to any item you may see that's in-stock on our site.
Below is an alternative model for you to consider.
http://web2/product/48678/Sony-PRS950SC.html
Sony PRS-950 Silver Reader Daily Edition Digital Reader - PRS950SC – (Silver)
For the inconvenience, we will be able to provide the order to you at the same price with no additional charge to you.

If there's any interest in this product, please let me know and I will adjust your order accordingly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your understanding.
Sincerely,
Neil Kaufman
Abt Electronics
jtcasas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Ken401
Addict

"For the inconvenience, we will be able to provide the order to you at the same price with no additional charge to you."

Wow, what a deal. There are the same price anyway. At least it would have been for me, $299 either way.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
jtcasas
jtcasas began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
"For the inconvenience, we will be able to provide the order to you at the same price with no additional charge to you."

Wow, what a deal. There are the same price anyway. At least it would have been for me, $299 either way.
True -- there is no "reward" for an in-place switch of the silver for the black, but I don't blame ABT, at all. In fact, I'm grateful that they put a pre-order system in place, and were so clear that I was, in fact, ordering a BLACK version of the PRS-950. Other websites indicated black, but then would have the same model number as the silver. After this experience, I feel that ABT is a great store, and I look forward to doing more business with them.

Edit: I realize that ABT's handling of my order was different from they way they handled Ken401's order. I am pleased with the way they handled mine.

Last edited by jtcasas; 11-11-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Additional Info
jtcasas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
Ken401
Addict

@jtcasas: Just to follow up. I have no problem with ABT's handling of my order either, assuming they were going to email about the switch and I got ahead of them. I was just making the observation that when they said to you "For the inconvenience," it sounded to me like they were giving you special treatment when it was the same offer they would give anyone.

I guess that's why I work in accounting and not marketing.

Okay, back to topic...
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
hmm.. now the black 650 doesn't look all that bad. do you guys get the glare issue alot from the crome buttons?
I just noticed that the black 650 has been discontinued; only red is available on Sony's site. That makes me think they're discontinuing the PRS-x50 series. Hmmm....
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I just noticed that the black 650 has been discontinued; only red is available on Sony's site. That makes me think they're discontinuing the PRS-x50 series. Hmmm....
Anyone sure it's Sony that has discontiued the PRS x50 black model?

It would seem to be *SOME* US retailers discontinuing the black models rather than Sony.

Black models still available here:

http://www.sony.co.nz/productcategory/bk-reader (New Zealand)

All the other retailers (Whitcoulls, Borders, etc) are selling the black models, and have replaced the KoBo e-reader with Sony e-readers as their main e-reader product.

Also here: (Australia)
http://www.sony.com.au/productcategory/bk-reader

And Here: (UK)
http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-want/4

And even here: (Canada)

http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/wcs/s...57815#features

US Retailer business 'management' strikes again...
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote