Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
a12rodgers
a12rodgers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Not clear how scheduling works

Let's say I have two news feeds:
- NewsDaily (marked schedule for download every 1.0 days)
- NewsWeekly (marked schedule for download every 7.0 days)
- NewsMonthly (marked schedule for download every 30.0 days)

I set these up just fine on Sunday. They downloaded, converted to MOBI, and were sent to my Kindle. No problem.

Now let's say it's Monday. I would think that if I clicked on "Download all scheduled news sources," only NewsDaily would download. But when I clicked on them yesterday, all feeds downloaded. And when I opened up Calibre today and clicked that option, all three feeds downloaded again.

Does scheduling mean something different than I think it does? Is this some kind of timer that works only if Calibre stays open for a full 24 hours (at which point, NewsDaily will kick off again)? What if I just leave the computer off and turn it on in a couple of days -- should the NewsDaily kick off again?

Is there any other way (short of manually triggering each download) for Calibre to automate retrieval at given intervals?

Last edited by a12rodgers; 09-08-2010 at 12:56 AM.
a12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by a12rodgers View Post
Let's say I have two news feeds:
- NewsDaily (marked schedule for download every 1.0 days)
- NewsWeekly (marked schedule for download every 7.0 days)
- NewsMonthly (marked schedule for download every 30.0 days)
Scheduling means that they will automatically download when the 1,7 or 30 days has expired. You need do nothing, when the time is up and calibre is running then they, the news source, will be downloaded without intervention from you.

Quote:
Now let's say it's Monday. I would think that if I clicked on "Download all scheduled news sources," only NewsDaily would download. But when I clicked on them yesterday, all feeds downloaded. And when I opened up Calibre today and clicked that option, all three feeds downloaded again.
If you "Download all scheduled news sources," then ALL news sources that are in the schedule area will be downloaded. This a way to manually download every news source you have set a schedule time on.

Quote:
Does scheduling mean something different than I think it does?
Yes, see above.

Quote:
Is this some kind of timer that works only if Calibre stays open for a full 24 hours (at which point, NewsDaily will kick off again)?
The timer works regardless of whether calibre is active or not. Check the recipe schedule you will see how long it has been since it last downloaded.

Quote:
What if I just leave the computer off and turn it on in a couple of days -- should the NewsDaily kick off again?
Yes it will kick off again. When you start calibre it will see the time has come and gone and automatically download the NewsDaily.

Quote:
Is there any other way (short of manually triggering each download) for Calibre to automate retrieval at given intervals?
If you know how to run a chron job from the command line you can schedule calibre to download any recipe via the ebook-convert module (see manual).

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-08-2010 at 02:01 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
a12rodgers
a12rodgers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks, Walt! It would have taken me a lot of trial and error to get to that understanding. I'll rework how I've done my scheduling, and will give it another shot.
a12rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If you know how to run a chron job from the command line you can schedule calibre to download any recipe via the ebook-convert module (see manual).
FYI: The ebook-convert module produces an EPUB ebook from the designated recipe. It puts it in the default directory (unless another directory is designated in the command line.) That's all it does. It doesn't add the book to the Calibre Library the way a scheduled recipe run does.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
nchall114
Enthusiast
nchall114 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle for Android
how would you duplicate a gui recipe run from the command line?
nchall114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchall114 View Post
how would you duplicate a gui recipe run from the command line?
Start Calibre gui when the recipe is scheduled to run or command line run the recipe, followed by import the format created by the recipe (that's close, but not identical).
Old 10-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
nchall114
Enthusiast

and then would you need to invoke the smtp command to mail it? can these all be run in a batch file, sequentially or do they need to be set individually?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchall114 View Post
and then would you need to invoke the smtp command to mail it?
Yes.
Quote:
can these all be run in a batch file, sequentially or do they need to be set individually?
The batch file needs one ebook-convert line for each recipe you want to run, plus one for each that you want to send to the database, plus one for each that you want to email. They can all be in one batch file or in separate batch files. Is that what you were asking?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
nchall114
Enthusiast

yes. thank you very much.