Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Everyman chess ebooks (Chessbase format)

Probably only of passing interest here, as the usual hardware/software packages discussed on MR aren't very useful for chess publications; but at least it's another publisher going the software route.

Everyman is offering chess ebooks for sale in Chessbase format, which allows for interactive reading (shuffling pieces around the board, hopping through variations etc.). Chess ebooks have a lot of advantages over chess pbooks, so this should be a successful effort.

There are sample chapters available for anyone interested.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
One of my big disappointment with eBooks is the near total lack of chess books. I play, study, and buy chess books on a regular basis. To me it seems like an ideal match. Trying to lug a stack of books around to a tournament that you'll likely never even look at is seriously annoying. An e-ink reader would seriously lighten the load. Also, having an eBook open while at a board or at the computer would be great, but it doesn't seem to have caught on.

There was one really decent chess book offered for the Kindle (on the King's Gambit) but it disappeared from Amazon a while ago and hasn't reappeared. The strange thing is, I think Amazon deleted the sample chapter from my Kindle as well.

Thanks for the Chessbase links.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
katmeyer
katmeyer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Chess Book For Kindle

"Practical Chess" by Ray Cheng will be available for Kindle sometime this weekend or Monday. We formatted it to work similarly to the book in that the exercise is shown on the screen, and you simply turn the page for the possible solutions.
katmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyer View Post
"Practical Chess" by Ray Cheng will be available for Kindle sometime this weekend or Monday. We formatted it to work similarly to the book in that the exercise is shown on the screen, and you simply turn the page for the possible solutions.
Thanks for the heads up. Practical Chess looks to have gotten some very positive reviews. I'm looking forward to it.

Carl
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
PG Canada has this:

Znosko-Borovsky, The Middle Game in Chess, Third Edition (1938)
Chess treatise: translated into English by Julius Du Mont (1881-1956)
in HTML and Text.
http://www.gutenberg.ca/
(scroll down to near the bottom of the page.)
The copyright has expired in life+50 years countries.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Probably only of passing interest here, as the usual hardware/software packages discussed on MR aren't very useful for chess publications; but at least it's another publisher going the software route.

Everyman is offering chess ebooks for sale in Chessbase format, which allows for interactive reading (shuffling pieces around the board, hopping through variations etc.). Chess ebooks have a lot of advantages over chess pbooks, so this should be a successful effort.

There are sample chapters available for anyone interested.
I can't seem to find a link to the software.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chessbase available here:
http://www.chessbase.com/download/cblight2007/index.asp
Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader

link deleted because copyright status was unclear.

Last edited by Patricia; 09-06-2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: link deleted because copyright status was unclear.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thank you, Patricia.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
There was one really decent chess book offered for the Kindle (on the King's Gambit) but it disappeared from Amazon a while ago and hasn't reappeared. The strange thing is, I think Amazon deleted the sample chapter from my Kindle as well.
OT:

Amazon erase content from user kindles without their permission????
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
PG Canada has this:

Znosko-Borovsky, The Middle Game in Chess, Third Edition (1938)
Chess treatise: translated into English by Julius Du Mont (1881-1956)
in HTML and Text.
http://www.gutenberg.ca/
(scroll down to near the bottom of the page.)
The copyright has expired in life+50 years countries.
I have just converted and uploaded this book. I hope it is formatted well enough. The creator of the HTML file at Gutenberg Canada was rather clever in that he/she created the images of chess positions using a table into which they simply arranged the standard peices and set the background of the table to either white or grey. This made the HTML document much smaller than it would have been with 83 separate JPEGs. Unfortunately, of course, BookDesigner simply choked on it and I had to tediously recreate the individual JPEGs manually. I also had to manually extract all the moves that the transcriber had so neatly placed into tables (which BD doesn't support either). I don't think I'll be converting chess books again soon (this one took me six hours) and I hope that whoever does is able to find ways to surmount these challenges. Still, it was interesting and I hope you enjoy it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
LOL! I just checked Project Gutenberg where there are few chess titles and I see that some intrepid soul dutifully transcribed positions of a book by Lasker using "ASCII art". I should feel lucky!

---------------------------------------
8 | | | #K | | | | | |
|---------------------------------------|
7 | | | #P | | | | | #P |
6 | #P | | | | | | #P | |
5 | | | | | | | | |
4 | | | | | | | | |
3 | | | | | | | | ^P |
2 | ^P | | ^P | ^K | | ^P | | |
1 | | | | | | | | |
---------------------------------------
A B C D E F G H

Diag. 63
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader

Yes, I've seen that one. If I remember correctly, it's by Edward Lasker, brother of the grandmaster Emmanuel Lasker.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
OT:

Amazon erase content from user kindles without their permission????
I'm sure I'm being paranoid. I must have deleted it myself now that I think about it. I just went to look at the sample I downloaded and it wasn't there, but I've deleted a lot of stuff recently and it was probably caught in there somewhere.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #15
idum
idum began at the beginning.

Device: HTC
Sorry for the newbie-like-question. I'm very interested in chess ebooks and i'm thinking to buy a V3-like e-reader. Those chessbase ebooks will be compatible with V3? and with iLiad?
This element can be important for to select the device to buy.
idum is offline   Reply With Quote