Gothic 4 2.72%
Ryumin 2 1.36%
OpenDyslexic 3 2.04%
Other? 20 13.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #16
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I voted Malabar, Avenir and Other (Ubuntu), but I forgot Gothic which is the best when reading in Japanese. No way to edit my vote?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #17
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
Georgia is an excellent serif font for current ereaders because it was specifically designed for the low resolution computer screens. Its tall x-height is a deliberate design choice to make it clearer at small sizes on digital screens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(typeface)
Is there a link to download this particular font ?

Regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #18
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I use an adapted Times New Roman. That's why I switched from Kindle to Kobo: the ease of adding your own font.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Of the built-in fonts I prefer Georgia. I don't like its lower-case style numerals though. And it is far too heavy by default, but that can be tweaked in the advanced settings.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #20
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
I do all my reading on Ubuntu (added it myself), because I find it excellently readable and in looks nice and modern.

I find serif fonts more tiring to read.

Once in a while I try some other fonts, but I keep going back to Ubuntu.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Malabar and georgia, mostly malabar, some times I try one off the others but I end up changing it back. I tried adding some fonts a wile ago, but had problems with the italics and bolds so I forget them I kept with the ones that are already in the glo.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I just stick with Georgia.

Judging from the numbers thus far (17), it's the most popular.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Georgia is an excellent serif font for current ereaders because it was specifically designed for the low resolution computer screens. Its tall x-height is a deliberate design choice to make it clearer at small sizes on digital screens.

Charis SIL is based on Bitstream Charter.

Quote:
Bitstream Charter is a glyphic serif typeface designed by Matthew Carter in 1987 for Bitstream Inc., a digital type foundry. It was optimized for printing on the low-resolution 300 dpi laser printers of the 1980s, but is suitable for printing on both modern high-resolution laser printers and lower resolution inexpensive inkjet printers.
Charis SIL has yet to fail to render any character in any eBook I've read since I've started using it. Plus, the modified versions I've created look very good on an eInk screen. Also, there is a true smallcap version that gives one true smallcaps instead of noticeably simulated smallcaps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charis_SIL

Quote:
ts goal is to "provide a single Unicode-based font family that would contain a comprehensive inventory of glyphs needed for almost any Roman- or Cyrillic-based writing system, whether used for phonetic or orthographic needs."

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-12-2013 at 07:13 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Charis SIL has yet to fail to render any character in any eBook I've read since I've started using it. Plus, the modified versions I've created look very good on an eInk screen. Also, there is a true smallcap version that gives one true smallcaps instead of noticeably simulated smallcaps.
Actually, I've run into two characters that Charis SIL does not render. These are the st and ft ligatures. Not exactly the most common characters but still...

Actually, a nice tutorial on creating ligatures at: http://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?t=1435

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	st_ft_ligature.png
Views:	288
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	106918  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #25
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I was somewhat excited to read that CharisSIL should contain all characters, but I am failing miserably on trying to use the font. Either I messed something up with the Kobo Extended Driver plugin, or I'm beginning to think Kobo just doesn't handle any sideloaded fonts well.

Yes, I'm 100% percent I have named the fonts the way Kobo wants them, using -Regular, -Bold, -BoldItalic, -Italic included in the filenames. The fonts do change as they should, but CharisSIL just refuses to display most special characters correctly.

On the kepub version, CharisSIL displays the majority of the special in a ridiculously tiny size. On the epub version of the same book, CharisSIL only displays boxes for the majority of the special characters. I used the Kobo extended driver plugin to send the kepub version to the reader. Georgia font display the characters correctly in both kepub and epub.

The code for the text is just using <p> and the stylesheet for it is:
p {
display: block;
margin-top: 0em;
margin-bottom: 0em;
margin-left: 0em;
margin-right: 0em;
text-align: justify;
text-indent: 1.5em;
}

I've tried it with the CharisSIL Modified and Compact fonts that JSWolf has graciously provided for us, and the standard CharisSIL font also, all with the identical results. These screenshots are with the standard CharisSIL.

Am I doing something wrong with to use the CharisSIL font? My Kobo firmware is 2.5.1. I also tried changing the <p> to <p class="calibre"> (and added .calibre to the stylesheet with the same code as p), and that didn't change anything either. Sigil verifies no problems with the epub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CharisSIL kepub.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	106919   Click image for larger version

Name:	CharisSIL epub.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	106920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Georgia kepub.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	106921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Georgia epub.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	106922  
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Am I doing something wrong with to use the CharisSIL font? My Kobo firmware is 2.5.1. I also tried changing the <p> to <p class="calibre"> (and added .calibre to the stylesheet with the same code as p), and that didn't change anything either. Sigil verifies no problems with the epub.
<deleted many previous words>

I took a look at Charis SIL with the Greek alphabet and it is missing quite a few characters. I then tried DejaVu Serif and it looked fine. I've attached that font to this message. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: zip DejaVuSerif.zip (722.0 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 06-14-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Re-added the DejaVuSerif.zip file with license file embedded
Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #27
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I find myself using Avenir Next & Caecelia most often; I don't have much need for a wide glyph set so I haven't really run into any problems with either of them. Sometimes I use Iowan Old Style, FF Tisa or Whitney if it works for that document.

Quote:

Georgia was great for a long while, but as screen DPIs continue to increase, there are other serif fonts that perform better. While Georgia is still good for most computer screens (since most are still < 150DPI), it can look...odd on modern high-resolution displays, many of which are 200-350DPI or higher.

That's the main reason I don't use Georgia on my KG; it just looks...not quite right.

I want to like Amasis more than I do; I really like the slab-serif design of the individual glyphs, but the flow of the text is just...too stocky and rigid. Oh well.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #28
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
<deleted many previous words>

I took a look at Charis SIL with the Greek alphabet and it is missing quite a few characters. I then tried DejaVu Serif and it looked fine. I've attached that font to this message. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Regards,
David
The DejaVu Serif font works very well, it displays all the special characters in that book perfectly on both the epub and kepub. When I look at the file size of CharisSIL vs other fonts such as DejaVu Serif, I thought the triple file size meant it probably had almost every special character possible, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So I guess I didn't screw up something that time . It seems the kepub version substituted another font to fill in the missing characters, but it did a rather poor job of it.

Thanks for the font, I rather like it and will use it for awhile and see if it doesn't replace Georgia when I need those special characters.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 06-13-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The DejaVu Serif font works very well, it displays all the special characters in that book perfectly on both the epub and kepub. When I look at the file size of CharisSIL vs other fonts such as DejaVu Serif, I thought the triple file size meant it probably had almost every special character possible, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So I guess I didn't screw up something that time . It seems the kepub version substituted another font to fill in the missing characters, but it did a rather poor job of it.

Thanks for the font, I rather like it and will use it for awhile and see if it doesn't replace Georgia when I need those special characters.
Good to hear that it works for you. Charis SIL is good for Latin, Cyrillic and IPA but does not include the full Greek alphabet. With its diacritical support, that is good enough to cover my needs at this time.

Kepub does substitute from other fonts but if you are not using a Kobo supplied font, the results are, as you noticed, not all that pleasant.

Regards,
David
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #30
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kepub does substitute from other fonts but if you are not using a Kobo supplied font, the results are, as you noticed, not all that pleasant.

Regards,
David
I just tried the Kobo supplied fonts on those pages with the Greek letters, and the same exact thing happens. Kobo will substitute another font so the letters do appear, but they are super tiny as before with CharisSIL. The only difference is the entire words are super tiny instead of just some of the characters. So it seems the results will always be not that pleasant.

Edit: I also noticed odd behavior with at least the Kobo Nickel font, where the last line of one page with any descenders gets cut off and will be seen at the top of the following page. I thought it might only happen where Kobo substitutes another font, but it can be on any page and you can often see a slight row of the bottoms of all letters across the line. This is on kepub only, the epub in the same book doesn't have that happen. I can only guess that the top margin with the book title is doing something to the spacing.

I thought it might be caused when I forced the line spacing to 1.25 instead of Kobo's usual 1.3 so I changed it with the slider, and it's slightly better. The entire line of text won't show a sliver of it on the following page, but descenders will still fall onto the following page.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 06-13-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Tags
font, kobo, setting