Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofpendragon View Post
I've just finished this, and I find it very sad to say that despite the bulk of the book being absolutely fantastic, Simmons lets himself and the readers down with an atrocious damp squib of an ending. But, yes, read it, for the enjoyment of the 600 plus pages, then just grit your teeth and carry on, purely to make it worthwhile buying, borrowing and then reading this monster.
I read this book last year. I only vaguely remember the ending so perhaps you'll forget about it in a few months too. I liked the book though. I recently started reading The Terror by Simmons, but I am only a few chapters into it.

I agree with someone else's comment that the book is more biographical of Dickens rather than focused on knowing the plot lines of his works. I think my copy of Drood came with the short-story The Signal-Man by Dickens that is a ghost-story about a railroad crash. I recommend reading that. I also recommend reading The Mystery of Edwin Drood if you haven't already. Personally, I am a bigger Wilkie Colllins fan than Dickens so I definitely recommend his works. If you liked Drood, then some other books that you might enjoy are The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote