Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #61
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
It'll be okay! (((HUGS)))
Thank you! I've also set myself a couple of subsidiary challenges: To read all my unread bought books from 2003 and 2004 (that's 57 books) and all the books I buy in 2014 (unless series reading order interferes).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #62
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
An "avid reader" buys 12 books a year?
Boggles the mind, doesn't it?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #63
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
An "avid reader" buys 12 books a year? I bought less than 12 books per month only four times in 2013… and this month I bought 77!
It gets worse, apparently the American Bookseller's Association* goes as low as 10 books a year to qualify as an "avid reader".

Around here that is barely getting your foot in the water. Apparently a bunch of people who obsess over e-readers, e-books, paper books, and all things book related aren't "average" when it comes to how many books they read and buy. Who woulda thunk it?

*I didn't find a direct link to them saying this, but found a couple websites that state it. 1 2
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #64
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Apparently a bunch of people who obsess over e-readers, e-books, paper books, and all things book related aren't "average" when it comes to how many books they read and buy. Who woulda thunk it?
Well, obviously very few of us at Mobileread are average readers. But still — that someone buying just one book a month is considered an "avid" reader astonishes me.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #65
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm more of a rabid reader.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #66
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Well, obviously very few of us at Mobileread are average readers. But still — that someone buying just one book a month is considered an "avid" reader astonishes me.
To give the benefit of the doubt, they're probably not taking library users, used book store purchases, and book swappers into consideration.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #67
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
It astonishes me too, but then I look at my own purchases and realize that despite reading over 30,000 pages/86+ books this year I only purchased 12 books this year (+ a couple gifts) and therefore barely meet their definition of an avid reader. Most of my books are library books or free books (public domain or Amazon limited offers). I would love to purchase more books funds don't allow it right now.

The ABA is interested in the money side while we tend to focus on the reading side. Maybe what they call an "avid reader" should really just be a "consistent buyer" and could include someone who doesn't read at all but buys books for everyone's birthday. When we talk about an "avid reader" we tend to mean "someone who reads very regularly". For us, it doesn't really matter how much is actually consumed, just that it is being done. For them it is all about numbers.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #68
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Most of mine are library loans, but I bought what looks to be about 22 books this year as well. I probably buy around two books a month and read about five books a month.

If we count kids books, I buy my son a lot of books. Probably 30ish titles this year alone.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
When we talk about an "avid reader" we tend to mean "someone who reads very regularly". For us, it doesn't really matter how much is actually consumed, just that it is being done. For them it is all about numbers.
True, true.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #70
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm more of a rabid reader.

That's a pretty good description of MobileRead people.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #71
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
nice to see I am not alone
Since I read a lot of historical non-fiction books, a lot of my reads are in the 1000 page range. That is why I switched to a page count mostly instead of a book count.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #72
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm going to try to get more of my paper TBR books read this year, even though I also bought a number of e-books with all those Kobo special codes. (Maybe I should unsubscribe from the discounts thread!)

Among others, I really want to read Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time, which will count as 12 of my 60. But first, I must get read three books which are on loan from my sister. And of course the first Literary Club selection when we make it ...

Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #73
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I'm going to try to get more of my paper TBR books read this year, even though I also bought a number of e-books with all those Kobo special codes. (Maybe I should unsubscribe from the discounts thread!)

Among others, I really want to read Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time, which will count as 12 of my 60. But first, I must get read three books which are on loan from my sister. And of course the first Literary Club selection when we make it ...
I've vowed to eat into my paper TBRs for the past two years; the first year I had some success, not so much last year. I cherry-picked the lighter stuff the first year; now I've got a lot of doorstoppers and I hate to heft them.

I've always planned to reread the Music of Time sequence; perhaps we could do that in tandem? And I wanted to finish up the Sea of Fertility tetralogy with Paola and....

Where's that juggling emotie?

Fortunately, my litfic goal this year will accomodate both of these and most of the Lit Club picks. Phew!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #74
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've always planned to reread the Music of Time sequence; perhaps we could do that in tandem?
I read A Question of Upbringing, the first Music of Time book in 2012. Discussion while reading the series would certainly be beneficial. I'm up for a tandem read.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #75
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Well. Here we go.
I updated my challenge list. More for that here.

Basically, 15000 pages to go, with 2 sub-challenges.
First is Sci-Fi. Second is the continuation of all the series I read in 2013 and liked. Other books will be mainly older fantasy and fantasy in general I guess .
Some good books there, n'est–ce pas?

Last edited by Geralt; 01-01-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote