Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-18-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Question Any way to backup/export my preferences?

I now have my koreader working like a well-oiled MACHINE!

It's a tribute to it that I hardly even use the default factory interface any more. (see Sidebar below)

I've spent a lot of time setting up my prefs/settings so they're juuuuuuuuust right - esp gestures.

Is there any way I can export all these sweet sweet settings - either in the app or copying some file?

I did look in the menus and on this forum so sorry if I've missed it.

(If someone knows better, feel free to just use THIS system of description:
Menu 1 > Submenu 3 > dialogue X)

Congrats to the devs for this thing of functional beauty they've made!

In the factory interface I used to get quite obsessed about allocating things to shelves - esp trying to make various shelves of what to read next, organised by topic. Shelves ARE a good feature. But honestly, trying to do this using Calibre with all the books I have was quite a task! (Even though Calibre is phenomenal!) I kinda gave up...!

But turns out I find the simple Koreader HISTORY achieves what I wanted quite well. If I want to make sure to read a book, I just open it once. Then it's there in the list. Somehow, also: organising things by most-recent just works well.

Then there's Favourites if you want a longer-term record.

For overall organisation, I actually find a simple FOLDER system just as good as the factory interface, if not better.

One thing I've been noticing even in Windows lately is how useful it can be just to go to the top/root folder again and start afresh, finding whatever you need via 'the journey'

The fact that Koreader EXITS a document back to the folder it was in is also VERY helpful. You will automatically see other things you might want to read on that topic

Overall Koreader is a very satisfying experience. It even FEELS more dynamic than factory!

It's a thing of beauty !
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivresInOz View Post

Is there any way I can export all these sweet sweet settings - either in the app or copying some file?
Sure. Nothing fancy in the UI. Just backup the data directory.

On embedded devices, like everything e-ink but android, the data dir is always the installation dir.

Here's a cheat sheet for the rest of platforms:
Code:
android  -> /sdcard/koreader
linux    -> either $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/koreader or $HOME/.config/koreader
mac      -> $HOME/Library/Application Support/koreader

Most of the settings you want to backup are in a dir called "settings". The other big one you might want to backup is "settings.reader.lua"
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2023, 01:22 AM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
One more hint for books in the History for future reading: long press on a book and set its status to "On hold". Then you can filter the books in the History to show "On hold"ed books only.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote