Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Bookeen worries me

Why is there no mention or support for their older reader on their website? When companies totally forget their old products, I get worried. The companies who keep drivers, downloads, instructions and FAQs for their old products online for ages... those are the companies that tend to get my business.

I'm considering buying the Cybook Gen 3, but I'm really worried the company won't stand behind it for the long haul.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
MikeF74,

Don't know what to say. Have you emailed them for drivers, etc.?

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Why is there no mention or support for their older reader on their website? When companies totally forget their old products, I get worried. The companies who keep drivers, downloads, instructions and FAQs for their old products online for ages... those are the companies that tend to get my business.

I'm considering buying the Cybook Gen 3, but I'm really worried the company won't stand behind it for the long haul.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
MikeF74
Groupie

I don't own their old lcd-based reader. I'm just noting how the mere existence of it is absent from their website. Not support links or anything. As a prospective buyer of their new product, that is something that worries me.

I've had this happen to me from other companies in the past. It is now something I look out for when evaluating expensive technology purchases.

Last edited by MikeF74; 09-13-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I own an "old" CyBook and have always found Bookeen to be most helpful in their e-mail support, even after they've stopped selling it.

The fact that they don't have "stuff" about it on the website certainly doesn't mean that they don't support it.

Perhaps, though, you might be better off buying a Sony Reader if this is a concern for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
MikeF74
Groupie

Obviously all of you have had positive experiences with the company, and I do take your positive statements into account on the pros/cons list in my head.

I wasn't trying to bash the company, just expressing a concern and trying to open a dialog to see if I was the only one who felt this way. Like I said, this type of on-the-surface product abandonment has bitten me in the past.
Advert
Old 09-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Yes but the reality is that these devices will be superseded by something better in a year or two. Or if not better, a lot cheaper. If you want a futureproof device, or something for the long-haul, now isn't the time to buy. IMO.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
And there never will be ...
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
Sebastiano
Sebastiano is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3, Palm Zire21
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Yes but the reality is that these devices will be superseded by something better in a year or two.
Yes, but this doesn't make the older ones worthless. For typing texts I still use my NC 100 from Amstrad and it still does exactly what I got it for. In the meantime the whole company was dissolved and of course there is no support for it anymore.

It's only ca. 12 years old. -- Compare that to my bicyle, for which I have 20 years waranty!

Klar, aber das macht die älteren Geräte ja nicht wertlos. Ich benutze heute noch meinen NC 100 von Amstrad um Texte zu erfassen. Und das Teil ist erfüllt seine Aufgaben heute so gut wie zu Beginn. Zwischenzeitlich ist Amstrad bankrott gegangen, und Support gibts natürlich keinen mehr.

Das Notepad ist aber kaum 12 Jahre alt. -- Vergleich das mal mit meinem Fahrrad, auf das ich 20 Jahre Garantie habe!

Sebastiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Interesting, it's not something I've been looking at when evaluating purchases in the past but it makes sense. It's good to know that they do support older devices though (judging by HarryT's comment).
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
roncri
Enthusiast
roncri began at the beginning.

I'll never purchase another Bookeen device. I've been trying to get an RMA number from them for three weeks and it's like my email goes into a black hole. I spent $400 for reader, had it crack after a few months and it's been sitting on my desk broken now for over a month. What a waste.
roncri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncri View Post
I'll never purchase another Bookeen device. I've been trying to get an RMA number from them for three weeks and it's like my email goes into a black hole. I spent $400 for reader, had it crack after a few months and it's been sitting on my desk broken now for over a month. What a waste.
That really is awful. I hope that they get in touch with you soon.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:38 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncri View Post
That probably indicated that they aren't getting your e-mail - perhaps it's been blacklisted as a spam source (that's very common). Try sending your e-mail from a different account (hotmail or gmail if you don't have anything else).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bookeen needs phone support. This email support is not working well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #14
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
It's very common for email to get blacklisted - but that's why many companies introduce forms on their webpages. One for bug reports, one for replacement requests, at least, shouldn't be any problem for Bookeen to include in their webpage.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote