Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Andyjenk
Andyjenk began at the beginning.

Can Kindle 3 be stopped from going to sleep?

On the Amazon Kindle Forum a quadriplegic has asked about useabilty for the disabled. The conclusion is that the most difficult (possibly impossible) key for him to operate is the on/off/wake key.

Is there a way, or can someone provide a hack, to stop the kindle falling asleep after 10 minutes of inactivity? Or is this something I should ask Amazon customer service to provide in a future release?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy
Andyjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
Acorn
Connoisseur
Acorn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
On the home page type these commands in to the search box (pressing enter after each command):

;debugOn
~disableScreensaver
;debugOff

You'll need to type a random letter and then delete it to bring up the search box.

This option will be reset if the Kindle is restarted.
Acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
That said, the Kindles battery power will be reduced significantly.
(It will probably ent in about 3-4days of medium use even when the Wifi is offline)
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodime View Post
That said, the Kindles battery power will be reduced significantly.
(It will probably ent in about 3-4days of medium use even when the Wifi is offline)
Is that right? I would have thought that the Kindle uses exactly the same amount of power when the screensaver is visible as when any other page is showing. Either way, the consumption should be pretty negligible if wireless is off and you are not pressing the buttons. But what do I know?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Spoudason
Spoudason began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I contacted Amazon in September about being able to keep the Kindle on and/or reset the time before it goes to sleep. They said that there was no way to do it and that they would pass on the information to the Tech folks. I need to reset the time to use it in my work.
Spoudason is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I haven't tried - but if it is plugged in (ac or usb but ejected) will it stay on?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@FF2: No.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Is that right? I would have thought that the Kindle uses exactly the same amount of power when the screensaver is visible as when any other page is showing. Either way, the consumption should be pretty negligible if wireless is off and you are not pressing the buttons. But what do I know?
Unfortunately no. The Kindle uses pretty much power while in "normal" mode and very little when in screensaver mode. You can try it out. aktivate the nosleep-mode like told above and let it stay like that (you can't put it in screensaver mode with the switch) for a night.
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
(you can't put it in screensaver mode with the switch) for a night.
You can still put it in simple "Off" mode, though. : )

To do that, you just hold the switch over for about 7 seconds. Let go as soon as you see the screen go blank.

To turn it back on, you just slide the slider again, and it comes back up in a second.

The disableScreensaver mode will still be in effect.

(Note that, if you hold it for 15 seconds, it will reboot the Kindle, which takes awhile, and you will lose the disableScreensaver mode.)
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler
blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Oasis
Actually yes - I use it when messing around on the shell

/etc/rc.d/keep_awake
blkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:28 AM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
The Kindle uses pretty much power while in "normal" mode and very little when in screensaver mode.
That surprises me, but I'll take your word for it.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #12
hondamarlboro
Enthusiast
hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle2, Kindle3, Kindle4, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
How about this one?

# /etc/init.d/powerd stop
hondamarlboro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sleep, wake