Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Preferred Publisher Font for Body Text?

I'm formatting my husband's latest ebook, and I will include publisher fonts for KF8/ePub. Which publisher fonts are preferred for body text? Is Times New Roman considered too blah?

I know that there's a Publisher Font selection on the Kindle Touch. Does the ebook default to publisher font automatically or does the reader need to select that through the font menu?

One more question... Does the Kindle Fire have a Publisher Font choice? It defaults to publisher font in Kindle for Android app with no option to change it, and I don't know if it's the same on the Fire.

Thanks!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately if you ask 10 people which font they prefer you will get at least 20 different answers! Which is why I don't try to force a font into an ebook, unless I'm creating it for my eyes only. But if he wants a font added, I would just use whichever one(s) he likes. I seriously doubt you will ever get a realistic consensus from those who might read his book.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I know there will not be consensus, but I thought I'd ask in case there are some favorites known for easy readability/attractiveness.

I have selected a chapter heading font that I'm happy with, but I'm undecided on the body text font. My plan is to try any suggested fonts and see which my husband and I like best.

The book is "action and adventure" and set during the 1930s, in case that's relevant to font selection, although I think it'd be wise to stick with common fonts.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 07-24-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

On the older Kindles, K4 and back, it is possible to add a substitute font to the Kindle device itself. We had at least a few threads where people showed screenshots of their substituted fonts. If you can search and find those threads they might be a very good source as you can see how they will actually look on a Kindle. I wish I could remember which threads and where they are located, the exact Kindle forum on MR, but you should be able to search and find them.

There will be a lot of talk about how to do the hack, but you can page past all that and look at the attached screenshots.

EDIT: I think this might be one of those threads.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Thanks, Jack. I'll read that thread and try out some fonts mentioned there. I can view the KF8 formatting (including fonts) in Kindle Previewer (for both Kindle Touch and Fire) and Kindle for Android app.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Truthfully I removed all fonts and it's references from anything I buy in Calibre. It annoys me when publisher mess with typeface of the book adding their own fonts or changing how the text resizes. They don't seem to understand how to make an ebook, eReader ready.

Fonts can be pretty on computers but they usually don't render well on eReaders. Luckily Calibre + the Modify epub plugin allows me to remove the mess and make the book compatible with all my eReaders and apps.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

I appreciate your input, Blossom. Perhaps I'll just offer a special chapter title font and keep the body text default then if that's what most people would prefer. I think it's nice that the publisher font is available as an option on Kindle Touch, but is there no way to select font face on the Fire?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Truthfully I removed all fonts and it's references from anything I buy in Calibre. It annoys me when publisher mess with typeface of the book adding their own fonts or changing how the text resizes. They don't seem to understand how to make an ebook, eReader ready.
Indeed, that's the great thing about e-readers - you can set the text the way you like it.

It's funny it never bothered me in physical books, but when an e-book comes with it's own font and not mine, it just makes my skin crawl for some reason and I can't read it. Just seems...wrong.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

I would be interested to know if readers like to see initial drop caps at the beginning of chapters in ebooks when it's device supported.

I enjoy those little touches myself when reading ebooks on my tablet, but maybe I'm in the minority. I would not appreciate a set size for the body text font, and if there are no font face choices on the Fire, thus forcing a publisher font, that wouldn't be good either.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle 4 also supports KF8 and you are forced to use the publisher font with no way of choosing another. I believe it's the same way on the Kindle Fire. I can check later tonight and get back with you.

I bought my first KF8 the other day and the font used looks horrible on the Kindle 4. What in the world was they thinking? Big spaced words along with the line space bug just looks unreadable.

That line space bug is one reason I stick to mobi.

Mantano makes you use the publishers fonts, color and background as well if it specified in the style sheet. This is why I started stripping the epubs as they render very differently than on ADE.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #11
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

I wish Amazon would standardize all devices/formats! If the publisher font is included in KF8 code, it's forced in the Kindle for Android app with no other font options. If Kindle Previewer is correct, the reader can choose from the publisher font or several device fonts on Kindle Touch. Previewer doesn't have any font choices (other than sizing) for the Fire so it shows the publisher font if included.

When you get a chance, I would be interested to know if that is the way it works on the Fire device. If the reader cannot choose between publisher and device font(s), then I definitely won't specify a body text font.

Many thanks to all who have commented!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I'm using the Kindle Fire now. There is no way to change the publisher font or even line spacing or margin on the KF8 It's ugly. I'm not liking this new format.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #13
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm using the Kindle Fire now. There is no way to change the publisher font or even line spacing or margin on the KF8 It's ugly. I'm not liking this new format.
Thanks for checking. That's a bummer. I'm seeing no font face choice in Kindle for Android app either, but I can change line spacing and page width. I'm surprised we're not given multiple font choices like on the Touch. I hope that'll be added in the future. Until then, I guess I won't include publisher font for body text.