Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
help decide, kobo or kindle3

i'm simply wondering which would has a better store for books?

i don't really care about epub or mobi since both can be read on pcs/macs/iphones/androids

what i do care is the variety of books that each store delivers... how do i figure out which one suits best for my needs?

i heard kindle is near 700k, and that kobo is near 200k, is that true? this isn't counting the free books of course

is there a page where we can see what books the stores have added recently?

Last edited by nachtxeule; 08-17-2010 at 07:11 PM.
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
If you go the Amazon Kindle store you can look up recent releases and the number of ebooks in each category.... I wouldn't know about the Kobo.

Amazon has the largest in-copyright catalogue of books right now.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Kobo has a link "New Releases" right at the top of their kobobooks.com site. I expect that Amazon may have more older books, but Kobo is keeping up to date with new releases. In Canada, there are some books we can't get from Amazon but can from Kobo.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Kobo has a link "New Releases" right at the top of their kobobooks.com site. I expect that Amazon may have more older books, but Kobo is keeping up to date with new releases. In Canada, there are some books we can't get from Amazon but can from Kobo.
i'm also from ottawa btw ;p

how do i know what books i can't get from amazon? this might make me cancel my kindle...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
how do i know what books i can't get from amazon? this might make me cancel my kindle...
Create an Amazon account and search for what you want to buy.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
nachtxeule
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vzzzbx View Post
Create an Amazon account and search for what you want to buy.
ya obviously but for future reference, i'm guessing theres no other way...

i really dislike this no for you canadian policy
Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Yeah, me too. I'm in Australia and our range of choice is ridiculously small.

For future reference? There's no way of knowing. The only way to get an idea is to see what's available right now. Deals are being cut all over the place with different publishers/distributors/retailers but it's taking way too long, and some of those deals might not be permanent.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think an important thing to remember at this point is that between free books like those from Project Gutenberg and the like, and non-free books from various stores, there is more than enough books in any genre to keep most readers busy for life ten times over. Ultimately, the numbers are not important... its whether they have the book you want when you want it.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote