Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Atomix
Enthusiast
Atomix began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Unhappy Skiff reader

Hello,
I would like to know, if the skiff reader is ever going to be released? How much is it going cost?
Thanks
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I'm sure you can google the answer ?

The best I can come up with is

Quote:
New York, NY, June 14, 2010 — News Corporation today announced that it has acquired Skiff, LLC, Hearst Corporation’s e-reading platform designed to deliver premium journalism to tablets, smartphones, e- readers and netbooks.
If the company has undergone some changes then there will inevitably (?) be delays ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is almost certainly canceled, see The Skiff, she is dead.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
One day, that's all it took !!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
well.... as i mentioned in a previous thread:

Newscorp bought the backend publishing/delivery system.They may not have been interested in the hardware but it also wasnt for sale according to media reports. Hearst held it back.

LG has the display in production. whether its destined for the Skiff or something else.....

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/06/...-us-e-readers/

that venture will be able to start producing in August

I understand Sprint is still expecting something in the 4th quarter.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm confused. There wasn't anything in that article that even remotely could be connected with the Skiff Reader or the Skiff Reader's display. That article was about LG making some little 6" display for iRiver. Did you mean to post some other article, perhaps, that is related to the Skiff Reader? Also, do you have any links to the "media reports" that say Hearst was not offering the Reader as part of the sale? Everything I read barely even mentioned the reader, but certainly I don't remember seeing anything saying Hearst specifically was not offering the hardware for sale. Lastly, do you have any official source saying Sprint is still expecting something by 4Q, or is this just pure rumor?

Last edited by cmdahler; 07-25-2010 at 01:16 PM.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Atomix
Enthusiast
Atomix began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
iRiver is way too expensive - $290

Well, the best release might be the notion ink ADAM. It should come out this year and it's much more advanced than average e-reader out there. It is going to have a powerful hardware and 3 display modes - LCD that can be turned into e-ink screen with a touch of a button. And it is going to be touchscreen, like ipad, just way better.
I might go for that one later.
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
I'm confused. There wasn't anything in that article that even remotely could be connected with the Skiff Reader or the Skiff Reader's display. That article was about LG making some little 6" display for iRiver. Did you mean to post some other article, perhaps, that is related to the Skiff Reader? Also, do you have any links to the "media reports" that say Hearst was not offering the Reader as part of the sale? Everything I read barely even mentioned the reader, but certainly I don't remember seeing anything saying Hearst specifically was not offering the hardware for sale. Lastly, do you have any official source saying Sprint is still expecting something by 4Q, or is this just pure rumor?
i should have quoted my original posts. it would have been easier.

At SID in May LG was showing off 4 displays of varying size and one that was color. They said at that time that the 11.5" flexible metal foil display had entered mass production, that the smaller color would go into production in the 3rd or 4th quarter and that the larger size 19" they expected to be in production next summer.

Shortly after they announced the partnership with iRiver. Since the panels are in production and the device factory mentioned in the article I linked to will be ready to produce devices in August, it suggests that a device with the 11.5" display could be coming from there. Whether it will BE the skiff or some other design called something, it appears likely from the partnership announcement that this display will be used in a new device will come from there.

the sprint bit is a rumor I read on one of the tech blogs that had a forward looking memo or roadmap that suggested a ereader device. (edit- and Nate the Great had a source at Sprint tell him it was sill expected) they had previously announced a "multi-year" deal for 3g access and to have the readers sold at sprint stores

i'll see if i can find my original reads about the hardware but here is one quick one

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/me...ader/19515560/

Quote:
A Hearst spokesman confirmed that News Corp. is only acquiring the publishing platform, not the device, which was being developed in conjunction with a third-party manufacturer. It's not clear what will become of the device itself, but it appears that Hearst will seek to sell it in separate deal.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 07-25-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Thanks for the clarification. Just to comment, the release you quoted with respect to the sale of Skiff to News Corp was pretty much what all the news releases said. The wording of the release makes it sound far more like News Corp wasn't interested in the hardware, as opposed to Hearst "holding it back" from the sale of Skiff. A different spin, which definitely sounds more like the future of the hardware is a question of trying to find someone who is actually interested in buying it rather than it being in such hot demand that Hearst felt they could get more for the platform by holding it back and selling it separately. Time will tell. I'd really like to see a large platform e-reader like the Skiff was supposed to be, at a reasonable price.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard

yeah i see your point. i remeber reading some others that wrote it "hearst did not include the hardware" , which of course my quick look cant find. I interpreted them as hearst sought a buyer for the ecosystem but held back the hardware.

it might also be that they couldnt sell it. articles about the skiff around ces mentioned they were developing the reader "with a manufacturing partner". LG was mentioned as the display provider but their could have been a third partner as well- like iRiver. Hearst may not have had enough ownership of the device design to sell it.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
It's really bad news, Skiff was a good idea for big screen eReader with wonderful curve feature.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote