Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
garyg007
garyg007 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Very disappointed

Very disappointed with the sony reader. Purchased a new PRS 600 at Borders in October 2009. It failed third week in December 2009; was returned for repair after contact with sony support.

A refurbished unit was sent - received it the first week in January 2010. It is now January 27, 9:41 AM EST and the refurbished PRS 600 failed --- won't do anything; wont turn off, won't reset wont hard reset none of the buttons work. This happened 24-25 pages into a book I just started reading; reader fully charged (just came off of an AC charger after charging overnight.

It would appear that the Sony PRS 60 is not yet ready for prime-time
garyg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi, welcome to mobileread.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the Sony. I also have this device and no issues. I guess I would ask now either for a complete replacement machine ( ie not wait again for a repair job) or my money back.

If you are not put off from e-Reading all together, maybe you'd like to check out The which one should I buy forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site. Sorry about your crappy luck with Sony.

You sure they just didnt send you the same broken one back?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR. Sorry to hear about the problems you have with the reader and with Sony. I have mine for a few months now and it works fine (mostly). Hope you Sony offers you a solution that will work for you.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi garyg007 and welcome to MobileRead. Sorry about your experience with the Sony. Be sure and let us know what you finally do.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR! Sorry to hear about your problems
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
garyg007

after setting in the on position for 20-30 min. the prs600 finally responded to the power button - it finally turned off; it then did a soft reset and started working again.

looks a lot like sony has a software problem - if thats the case a replacement unit is not going to help

Gary
Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg007 View Post
after setting in the on position for 20-30 min. the prs600 finally responded to the power button - it finally turned off; it then did a soft reset and started working again.

looks a lot like sony has a software problem - if thats the case a replacement unit is not going to help

Gary
Hmmm , I don't have that problem with my 600. Sounds a bit odd to me. Would be interesting how this goes. Please keep us posted. And I really hope it works out in the end for you. But could understand if you just wanted your money back to buy another model. (Not Sony obviously).
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
garyg007

what a piece of junk --- another prs 600 just died
Old 02-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You got a third? What happened?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
garyg007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
You got a third? What happened?
No, the current dead reader is the second one; Im not going to try a third unless they won't refund my money.

What happened -- same as before.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Is this happening with a particular book or format?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
garyg007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Is this happening with a particular book or format?
Books are all epub (except 1, which was pdf - that one is no longer on the device)
Old 02-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, garyg007, and it's too bad you are having such trouble with your Reader.

Maybe some more information will help us troubleshoot.

You live in the USA and purchased the 600 at Borders?

You are using a mains (wall) charger. Sony AC or the PSP charger? It shows full charge, light goes out, when taken off charger?

What Operating System are you using? Mac, XP, Vista, Win 7, etc?

You have the Sony Reader Library and ADE installed?

Are you using Calibre?

Epub books. Are they original ePubs? DRM or non DRM? Do they open, when it is on?

Where did you get them?

How are you loading them to your 600? From Calibre, from within Reader Library, from a card?

How many books are on internal memory?

Are you using the expansion card?

Have you enhanced / hacked / flashed etc. your Reader?

To make it easy you can quote my post and answer within it.

I'm not sure if any of the above information will help, but like I said, maybe more information will help us help you (if it isn't just bad luck and it really does need to go back again).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #15
garyg007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Welcome to MR, garyg007, and it's too bad you are having such trouble with your Reader.

Maybe some more information will help us troubleshoot.

You live in the USA and purchased the 600 at Borders?
yes

You are using a mains (wall) charger. Sony AC or the PSP charger? It shows full charge, light goes out, when taken off charger?
correct

What Operating System are you using? Mac, XP, Vista, Win 7, etc?
XP

You have the Sony Reader Library and ADE installed?
Sony Reader Library; what is ade??

Are you using Calibre?
don't know what it is

Epub books. Are they original ePubs?
yes
DRM or non DRM?
DRM
Do they open, when it is on?
they did when it was working

Where did you get them?
(a) sony store (b) local public library

How are you loading them to your 600? From Calibre, from within Reader Library, from a card?
from sony store - automatic when they are purchased; from libiary -- right click on the .acsm file and select "open with reader library"

How many books are on internal memory?
?? - 15 or 20 max

Are you using the expansion card?
NO
Have you enhanced / hacked / flashed etc. your Reader?
NO
To make it easy you can quote my post and answer within it.

I'm not sure if any of the above information will help, but like I said, maybe more information will help us help you (if it isn't just bad luck and it really does need to go back again).
At present, the dark bar ar the bottom of reader contains the characters:
1fskin:/l/string...

Last edited by garyg007; 02-07-2010 at 10:34 PM.