Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
Dictionary recommendation

Could anyone please recommend me a good dictionary for my cybook , i browsed on mobipocket ,too many choices , I am confused
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I bought the Concise Oxford myself, having used a dead tree version of it for twenty-odd years, but I have heard good things about the Chambers as well.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Check out these threads

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21334

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22388

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16179

And a free dictionary is available right here on Mobileread. Its an old edition, but close enough to try out.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12000
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I see that Chambers is still on 77% rebate at Fictionwise - at that price it's a wonderful bargain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I see that Chambers is still on 77% rebate at Fictionwise - at that price it's a wonderful bargain.
It is. I use the Concise Oxford myself, but if that deal had been going on at the time I bought it, I would have gone with the Chambers.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've now had some experience with the Chambers dictionary and the publisher's (Chambers Harrap) French-English dictionary, and I am very pleased with them both. They both hit that "just right" feeling I was hoping for with my Iliad and the "lookup" feature of its Mobipocket reader implementation.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
I use Chambers Pocket on my CyBook and I feel very comfortable with it.
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
kxpapado
kxpapado began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3, nokia n800
Being a non native english speaker, the Chambers Unabridged 10th Edition with Thesaurus is everything I need, mainly because it covers centuries of the evolution of the english language. I recently bought it and I'm really happy with it, and I find that I use more the thesaurus than the dictionary because it's faster while reading and less distracting to lookup and find the synonyms in the thesaurus than read the full analysis of the word in the dictionary.
kxpapado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
I have both the Concise Oxford and Chambers 10. Yes I am that sad.

The Oxford is better on etymology but I find the definitions fuller in Chambers. And with the ludicrous Fictionwise rebate...
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote