Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Orion Viewer Mod for Edge

I got some time to create modded version of Orion Viewer that works similar to native Edge viewer: when the book is opened the tablet side can be used for other things like web browser, or completely locked with back-light off. Page turning is done by hardware buttons on reader side.

This is still rough first take, as neither changing orientation, nor zoom or go to page dialog are working. As a matter of fact, there is no way in this version to get to preferences dialog either.

I am not sure if I will get time to implement this things in near future. I will submit my changes to the owner of the project, and hopefully he could merge this into his code in a proper way.

Until then it is still useful, at least for me, as it allows to read DjVu files comfortably in full screen.

Two important note for those wishing to try it:

1. In order for page turning with reader buttons to work, the latest allmine update (0.5) shall be installed first. You can find it here in the first post. The update can be quickly and safely installed on top of previous allmine update - no need to include google applications in update if you already have them installed.

2. If you already have official version of Orion Reader installed, you need to manually uninstall it, otherwise installation of modded version will fail due to different signatures of developers of the application.

Update 2013-05-06: Attached binary with fixed bug where application will crash when page turn button is pressed after application return from background.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OrionViewer-vldmr.zip (4.07 MB, 366 views)

Last edited by vldmr; 05-07-2013 at 09:09 AM.
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Great, will try as soon as possible ! For me, orionviewer is the most useful app for the edge so all improvements are most welcome. I just hope that a merged version with all the features working will be possible at some stage ...

Cheers,
F
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

So I just installed and tried it out: it is indeed the way the app should work to take full advantage of the edge. Of course without the option to tune the browsing to the layout of the book and use other options, it is not really useable and I very much hope that the features of both versions will indeed be merged. A small problem seems also to be a rather long delay before the actual page turn happens after using the dedicated button. In any case, thanks for the great work!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The changes were submitted to the author of the reader and are already merged into trunk (master line). The way he did it preserves the way as the reader used to work with book shown on both screens, while adding responding to reader buttons for turning pages, even when application is not shown on tablet screen. So it as usable as before now.

Watch for next official release either on google code or on google market
Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
fekhner
Addict

Fantastic, many thanks to both of you!
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
MissileMax
MissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Nook Touch, Nook simple touch, Note2
Can't get it onto the eink side.

I think I have tried everything, but I can't figure out how to activate the ink side.

EDIT: I just installed the "Allmine universal update" over my current install and that fixed it. I thought I was as up to date as possible, but I guess I wasn't! Thank you! Also, the version in the market did not work (as of 4 May 2013) so I downloaded the latest 2screen version from the link in the first post.

Thanks again!

-Chris

Last edited by MissileMax; 05-04-2013 at 02:21 PM.
MissileMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissileMax View Post
Also, the version in the market did not work (as of 4 May 2013) so I downloaded the latest 2screen version from the link in the first post.
Actually, the version that is currently available for download from google code also has a problem -- the application will crash when a page turn button is pressed after application is brought back to foreground from being in background on tablet screen. The fix was submitted shortly after the last build was released, but newer release have not happened for quite some time. So I attached my own build with the fix to the first message in this thread again, until next official release that will include the fix.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
MissileMax
MissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enoughMissileMax will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Nook Touch, Nook simple touch, Note2
I know it is nit-picky; but if you use the edge with the eInk on the right, it would be nice if the next page and previous page buttons were flipped.
More importantly, Thank you!
MissileMax is offline   Reply With Quote