Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
charlessmall18
charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: charlessmall18
Kindle center-nav button takes me to top of menu structure

I am sorry but recipies are way over my pay grade so I have a problem I cannot fix myself. I have been enjoying the BBC and AP recipies for some time now to get my daily news. All of a sudden, the center-nav button on my $80 Kindle, which used to take me back up just one layer in the menu structure (say from reading a story to the list of stories in that catagory), has suddenly started taking me all the way to the top of the menu structure. This means, especially with the BBC feed which often has 30 or more stories in one category, after I finish reading a story, to get to the rest of the headlines in that category in the page where I was, I have to press the center-nav button and then drill down to my previous category (using the bottom-nav button), click on the right-nav button, and then page through any number of lists of 10 or so headlines, using the forward-page-turn button, to get back to the place I was at in that category. I assume that somewhere in the AP and BBC recipies there is probably just one line of code that governs the behavior of the Kindle's center-nav button. If so, can anyone tell me how to change the recipies' code such that I get the old behavior back?
charlessmall18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This isn't controlled at the recipe level. It's generated on the Kindle itself. One simple workaround, that I used to use when I used a Kindle keyboard is that rather than go to the list of articles, flip from one article to the next by using the right joystick button.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
This sounds like the Sections & Articles navigation problem that was resolved last year. I checked the BBC recipe output and it works properly on my K3. It is possible the new (keyboardless) Kindle software works differently, but there hasn't been a s/w update for it since last year, so what changed? Are you sure you are describing the problem accurately, and does this problem arise with other recipes?
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
charlessmall18
charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!charlessmall18 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: charlessmall18
Thanks everone for your suggestions but I stumbled across the solution to this problem by RTFMing the Calibre LInux download page. You see, I recently became beyond fed up with Windows and switched to a dual-boot Windows/Linux system (I use mostly Open Source programs anyway but for my job i have to be able to run AutoCAD and some Adobe programs). I had been trying out the Ubuntu distro in the VMware Player for so0me time and liked it just fine. So i went with it for my Linux installation. Prior to installing Linux, i un-installed all my Open Source software from Windows and re-installed them all -- mostly from the Ubuntu software Center -- in Linux. Right! The Ubuntu Software Center gave me Calibre v 8.38 and the Calibre site is up to v 8.49. Guess what? The center nav button on my $80 Kindle now works the way it used to now that I un-installed v 8.38 and got v 8.49 from the Calibre site. DUH! As you might infer, having been bitten hard many, many times, I am a hard-bitten Windows vicitim -- er...Windows user -- and am old enough to have used DOS and UNIX back in the day. So I was unfazed about un-installing the painlessly installed Ubutu obsolete/boogered version of Calibre and pasting in the really scary looking command line supplied on the Calibre download page. Because Amazon has something like 80% of the e-book reader market and not everyone switching to Linux from Windows would be ok with the command line, is there any way to get the following into the Calibre communcal memory: (a) ask people with Calibre/Kindle problems if they are running Linux and (b) if their version of Calibre is up to date and (c) if it's not up to date, giving them comprehensive and sympathetic hand-holding so that they can begin troubleshooting any Calibre/Linux/Kindle problem by first getting the most up to date and correct version of Calibre? Windows and Mac users would probably never have this fundamental problem, I would hazard, because updating is not scary with those OSs.

Last edited by charlessmall18; 04-29-2012 at 01:13 AM.
charlessmall18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlessmall18 View Post
Thanks everone for your suggestions but I stumbled across the solution to this problem...
I gave you the solution by telling you that problem was solved last year.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert