Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
tyke99
tyke99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Mobi output- furthest read tracking

I have the latest version of Calibre (and I'm new to this sort of thing) and the release notes say:-

'MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI files.'

I can't find any way of viewing or changing the uuid or cdetype fields. Can someone please help?

Last edited by Manichean; 02-14-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: edited topic
tyke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
From what I gather, that process is automatic.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke99 View Post
'MOBI Output: Use the book uuid as the ASIN field and set cdetype to EBOK to allow Amazon furthest read tracking to work with calibre generated MOBI files.'

I can't find any way of viewing or changing the uuid or cdetype fields. Can someone please help?
Manichean is correct this is an internal calibre process. In order to get calibre to add the appropriate fields you must convert to Mobi. If the file is already mobi then reconverting it will insert the proper fields.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
tyke99
tyke99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for your quick replies and it is indeed as you say. When I do the above and go to the book on Kindle on my iPad. the 'sync' button now works but when I click it, it just says that I am currently at the furthest location across all my devices even though I have moved the reading point further along on my Kindle device. Am I missing something out?

Thanks again in advance.
tyke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
mythrandyr
mythrandyr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ipad, iphone
Hi,

I am facing the same problem. I have gone through all the relevant threads on the forum and I have tried this again and again, but have had no luck.
mythrandyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Have you re-converted the books to mobi and then sent them to your device? You shouldn't need to do anything else to them other than that.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
mythrandyr

Hi,

These are the steps I have followed:

Step 1. Convert the books to MOBI format in Calibre (v 0.7.50).

Step 2. Use 'Send to Device' option in Calibre to send the books to the Kindle.

Step 3. Copy the .mobi file from the Calibre Library to the Apps/Kindle/Library/eBooks folder on my iPhone (using iPhoneExplorer)

Device & software versions:
Calibre - v0.750
Kindle3 - v3.1
iPhone 4 - iOS 4.3

I am probably missing something really obvious, but as per all the threads I have read in the forum, I don't see what else I should be doing... and it is still not working :-(
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrandyr View Post
Step 3. Copy the .mobi file from the Calibre Library to the Apps/Kindle/Library/eBooks folder on my iPhone (using iPhoneExplorer)
This is (probably) unrelated to your issue, but you really should use the connect to folder or save to disk features for this. Calibre isn't designed to have the user go into the library folder directly, you could seriously mess something up if you begin to try other stuff in there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
mythrandyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
This is (probably) unrelated to your issue, but you really should use the connect to folder or save to disk features for this.
hmm, didn't know about this... will use that from now on. thanks.