Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #61
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
It seems I've run into issues with the backup method and downloading from the server.

The partition setup to download file system images to is 24MB, while the gzipped image I've created is 31. I'm going to have to figure out how to compress that image further, or remove parts of it in order to fit.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #62
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Adam, I can kiss you (even though you are called Adam )

When do you think we can get our sweaty hands on this? Is it going to take long to integrate the new FBreader?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #63
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
It seems I've run into issues with the backup method and downloading from the server.

The partition setup to download file system images to is 24MB, while the gzipped image I've created is 31. I'm going to have to figure out how to compress that image further, or remove parts of it in order to fit.
Hmm... is the filesystem image you've created small enough to install on the iLiad? Then it should fit on the download partition, right? Am I missing something?
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #64
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Hmm... is the filesystem image you've created small enough to install on the iLiad? Then it should fit on the download partition, right? Am I missing something?
It installs on the iLiad without a problem.

iRex's update procedure downloads a gzipped version of the file system image to /mnt/protected. This partition is 27MB. It's mounted when the "flash filesystem flag" is set, and it extracts the file system image located on it to the root partition.

The file system images provided by iRex are usually 26MB.

I modified their file system image with all the enhancements, and now the image is 32MB when it's gzipped. It's too large to fit on the protected partition, so the only way to flash it is from the CF card.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #65
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

You can find beta2 here: http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...iLIadOS/beta2/
You'll need to run backup.sh first to backup your mobipocket and keyboard. If you don't you won't be able to read mobipocket, DJVU, or use the keyboard.
After you backup, you'll have to reflash your iLiad using the standard reflash method (put the app.image files in the images folder with applications in config.txt). If you've never flashed your iLiad before, this isn't the release for you.

I may have found a bug when flashing, however. There are some files and scripts that are copied from the root directory to the CF card after flashing. After the reflash, the CF card wasn't mounted properly, so the scripts weren't copied correctly (they went to the directory where the card was mounted to). I maybe have to script a check to see if it's mounted before it tries to copy the files.

Let me know what you think of this beta. It's not ready for the average Joe yet, and likely has bugs and missing features. But if you want to give it a try, it should at least boot and work pretty well.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #66
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Bug: Contentlister Change Items on Page doesn't work.
Possible Solution: add 00_install directory back to image.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #67
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Bug: FBReader can't open html files
Possible Solution: Remove Browser Sections from default Registry file.

FBReader works fine with .zip. Need to test other file types.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #68
vblars
Enthusiast
vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vblars could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight
Great work Adam B. I never thought that it will come an update so I'm glade that I was wrong. Keep up the good work. :P

Lars
vblars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #69
Fellball
Wizard
Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: K3,K4,PB360,PB360+,PB701-IQ und noch diverse andere Lesegeräte....
Quote:
After you backup, you'll have to reflash your iLiad using the standard reflash method (put the app.image files in the images folder with applications in config.txt). If you've never flashed your iLiad before, this isn't the release for you.
First, thx Adam for this great work....

Have i understand this correctly? I use the cf-card-contents.zip from Irex, overwrite the app.image.-files in images-folder. and do a normal reflash from CF-Card? Only "applications" in config.txt?
Fellball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #70
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellball View Post
First, thx Adam for this great work....

Have i understand this correctly? I use the cf-card-contents.zip from Irex, overwrite the app.image.-files in images-folder. and do a normal reflash from CF-Card? Only "applications" in config.txt?
You don't even need to download the zip file from irex. You just need to make the images folder on the card and create a new config.txt file.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #71
Fellball
Wizard
Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Fellball knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
You don't even need to download the zip file from irex. You just need to make the images folder on the card and create a new config.txt file.
thx Adam, now i will test your fine work....
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #72
Fellball
Wizard

thx Adam, this is realy an great work from you.

the only bigger bug i found is the screen-refresh in some apps.
setup needs a pageflip to refresh and fullscreen-ipdf doesn't refresh the screen in fullscreen-mode. I need the fullscreen-mode for some PDF's. I use a self-compiled Version of jharkers fullscreen-version with 5 page-flip disabled.
Any idea to fix the refresh-problem in iPDF?

The FBReader is a little bit to old for my purposes (epub-format) but the Version 0.10.2 works fine from SD-Card.

best regards
Fellball
Old 03-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #73
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I had replaced the Display Manager with the community developed Xepdmanager. It appears that it's not quite ready for all apps. I'll do some testing, but I'll probably end up going back to the original.

I need to do some more testing today and getting the new FBReader compiled to run from internal memory. After I'm happy with all those bug fixes, I'll release another public beta.

I'd really like for as many people to test this as possible. I'm looking for it to be the de-facto standard firmware for the iLiad.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #74
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Hi Adam,
Quote:
Bug: Contentlister Change Items on Page doesn't work.
Possible Solution: add 00_install directory back to image.
Do you plan to add the new contentlister instead of the original? If so, I can change it to read the nr of items from a config file instead of a command-line argument. This would remove the need for the scripts that edit the start.sh script each time... We could configure contenlister 'by hand' until we have a separate regedit-like tool to modify things...
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #75
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Hi Adam,

Do you plan to add the new contentlister instead of the original? If so, I can change it to read the nr of items from a config file instead of a command-line argument. This would remove the need for the scripts that edit the start.sh script each time... We could configure contenlister 'by hand' until we have a separate regedit-like tool to modify things...
I do intend to use the new Contentlister.

Reading from a config file in /mnt/settings/ would be ideal. I think the default functionality would be to default to 8 items (I think it's a good default), and create a config file if none exists.

It could be as simple as a one line config file with the amount of items per page in it.