Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #61
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post

What this DOES say, is that rumors that Apple may be planning to get into the e-book market are now much less likely to be true. If that were the case, Apple would not have approved the app., it seems to me.
I wouldn't expect a dedicated device from them, but a larger format touch could be a good dual purpose device for them. The reality is that a content ecosystem is building up around the platform with Stanza, ereader and now the Kindle.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #62
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You mean an app to buy from the Sony e-book store?? Why would anyone want to do that? Pay more and poorer selection?! I think not.
So that people who buy Sony books have the option of reading them on their iPhone. If Amazon does start allowing Kindle books to be read on many platforms and Sony restricts their books to the PRS and PC then Sony will be at a major disadvantage. However I suspect they'll abandon their format and push Digital Editions ePubs and PDFs at some stage, and these will be transferable to different devices.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #63
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
So, is there a way to use mobidedrm on these files if only the iphone/touch is registered to the account and not a Kindle?
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #64
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by morituri View Post
Ok, I've been playing around with this and discovered this : you need to have an account with Amazon that has a US address. You don't need a US credit card if you're paying from a Gift Certificate balance. This works, I just bought and successfully downloaded a Kindle book.

So you're not suggesting a gift certificate sent to a new account with a US address bought from an account from a non-US address with an actual credit card that matches the address would work?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Has anyone figured out how to get the PID? Can we get books off the iPhone or iPod Touch using iTunes? if not, is there another method?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #66
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
JSWolf: It's possible to get the ebooks from a jailbroken iPhone/iPod for example via iPhoneBrowser.

Still no idea about how to get the PID.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #67
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
What this DOES say, is that rumors that Apple may be planning to get into the e-book market are now much less likely to be true. If that were the case, Apple would not have approved the app., it seems to me.
Maybe not... IF Apple is convinced that they can create a superior app to the Kindle app, thereby outdoing Amazon.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
This tells me two things: 1. Amazon is out to sell books, not devices; and 2. Apple is, for the present time at least, not going to release an e-reader.
But Fictionwise released an eReader app for the iPhone/iPod Touch.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem here and it's a HUGE problem is that unless you jailbreak your device, you are stuck relying on Amazon. I'd rather be able to back them up myself how I want. I don't want Amazon in the loop as far as backups go. So if I was to purchase an eBook from Amazon, I'd want it available on my computer to backup how I want. Also, I want access to the PID. If I don't have access to the PID, I'm not purchasing any eBooks from Amazon. So too issues, backups and PID. These need to be solved without jailbreaking anything.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #70
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Because they already have a sony reader?
Yes, it might make sense if you already have bought Sony books or if you only have the Sony. OTOH, even if you have the Sony, it still makes sense to buy the Amazon version for your phone if that is the only place you plan to read the book in question because it is generally cheaper. I also suspect that any future cool features are going to be coming from Apple or Amazon, not Sony...

The neat thing about having a phone AND Kindle is that you can synch back and forth so read a bit on one and then on the other. This is great if you are going somewhere where you MIGHT want to read just a bit (maybe 30 minutes or less) but do not want to bring the bulkier Kindle.

Last edited by CCDMan; 03-04-2009 at 11:36 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #71
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Quote:
Maybe not... IF Apple is convinced that they can create a superior app to the Kindle app, thereby outdoing Amazon.
Perhaps, and Apple could always use the app kill switch if they come out with their own content store. Bezos vs. Jobs mano-a-mano in the DRM cage match of the century! <g>
Old 03-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #72
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem here and it's a HUGE problem is that unless you jailbreak your device, you are stuck relying on Amazon. I'd rather be able to back them up myself how I want. I don't want Amazon in the loop as far as backups go. So if I was to purchase an eBook from Amazon, I'd want it available on my computer to backup how I want. Also, I want access to the PID. If I don't have access to the PID, I'm not purchasing any eBooks from Amazon. So too issues, backups and PID. These need to be solved without jailbreaking anything.
I wonder if the Itunes backup copies over the books. I think there's a browser out there (iPhone Backup Extractor) to open up the backup files. I'm jailbroken, so it's not an issue here.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #73
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Yes, it might make sense if you already have bought Sony books or if you only have the Sony. OTOH, even if you have the Sony, it still makes sense to buy the Amazon version for your phone if that is the only place you plan to read the book in question because it is generally cheaper. I also suspect that any future cool features are going to be coming from Apple or Amazon, not Sony...

The neat thing about having a phone AND Kindle is that you can synch back and forth so read a bit on one and then on the other. This is great if you are going somewhere where you MIGHT want to read just a bit (maybe 30 minutes or less) but do not want to bring the bulkier Kindle.
If I had the option to use Sony .LRX books on an ipod touch I would. I do not think that will be possible so I will end up getting a Kindle 2 probably. I just dont think Sony will innovate in this space enough and will become a nonfactor
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #74
CCDMan

Quote:
I wonder if the Itunes backup copies over the books
As far as I can tell, iTunes is not in any way involved with the books. I suspect they are internal to the app and only accessible via wireless from Amazon.

The only way to "extract" them would probably be to hack the phone and app and even then you would very likely have to break the DRM as well. I cannot imagine Amazon (or the publishers) going along with anything that allowed the content to leave their control easily.

Last edited by CCDMan; 03-04-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #75
CCDMan

A VERY useful thing with this app, at least for me, is that it allows current Kindle users to share their already purchased Kindle content with anyone (anyone that you trust with your Amazon password) that has an iPod touch or iPhone (up to 6 total devices for each Amazon account)). I just did this with my son, who has a touch but not a Kindle. He actually likes reading on his touch - I can't imagine why. It worked just fine and he just got access to my 56 purchased books at no extra cost

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle