Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #46
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I've sent an email to Harlequin to see what's up. Will report back!
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #47
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Anyone know of a decent epub-to-mobi converter (that doesn't require rebuilding the book, like the ereader conversion does; I can do this one, but want to avoid doing so)?
Couldn't you just get the LIT version and then use lit2mobi on it or explode the LIT & run the OPF through Mobi Creator real quick? Calibre converts to Mobi now to IIRC.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-29-2009 at 07:17 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #48
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Wink

The Harlequin Romance Ebooks are now listed and ready for download http://www.harlequincelebrates.com A nice assortment and are available in pdf, epub, ereader and msreader formats. Nice!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #49
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh and to all the Romance Readers, I created a group for us to hang out in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/group.php?groupid=10
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #50
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
[QUOTE=koland;338585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I'd be happy to send you a link, but they use a tedious FLASH program for the download, requiring you scroll thru the list of those you've downloaded to get the next one, then pop up a download box in your face, then require you to tell them you want another one. Repeat until exhausted.
http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/ebook.php?id=16&type=pdf

Replace the id# with book # (1-16) and the type with file extension (pdf, lit, epub or pdb).

I got this by clicking the "click here if you're having trouble downloading" link.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #51
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Well I have spent all night trying to download the free books and for some reason they would not go to my digital books but I eventually found them in a temps file so had to move them I even went and bought some more books just to see if it was me or them it worked fine with the bought books so it must be them well thats my way of thinking
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #52
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
[QUOTE=Elfwreck;338745]
Quote:

http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/ebook.php?id=16&type=pdf

Replace the id# with book # (1-16) and the type with file extension (pdf, lit, epub or pdb).

I got this by clicking the "click here if you're having trouble downloading" link.
Thanks. Though I would prefer anything to a PDF. They have finally created a non-flash page that lists them all (but no more Mobi version - they must not have the ability to properly create non-drm versions):

http://www.eharlequin.com/store.html?cid=1317
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #53
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Couldn't you just get the LIT version and then use lit2mobi on it or explode the LIT & run the OPF through Mobi Creator real quick? Calibre converts to Mobi now to IIRC.
I suspect I could - this is just like running the conversion of ereader to html, then rebulding the book from there (for which I use MobiPocket Creator). Is there any formatting/TOC/picture difference between LIT and ereader? And I assume that LIT is the obsolete microsoft Reader format, right? The one I've religiously avoided in order to not be saddled with that reader ever again.

As for Calibre - is this the one that all the download pages are in Russian? I've never managed to get it installed (I dislike random clicking on pages where I can't read anything). Would Calibre read in the epub format and kick out Mobi? How does it compare to using MobiCreator (limitations and all, I'm used to it)?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #54
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I

As for Calibre - is this the one that all the download pages are in Russian? I've never managed to get it installed (I dislike random clicking on pages where I can't read anything). Would Calibre read in the epub format and kick out Mobi? How does it compare to using MobiCreator (limitations and all, I'm used to it)?
No, it is not, that would be Book Designer. We have a whole forum devoted to Calibre and it is on the wiki. It is a good program and includes a reader that can read lots of formats so long as they are not DRM. There is a lot of work going on in Calibre for the new ePUB format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #55
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

I think Sony is going to have these up tomorrow. I just noticed they added several of the titles today (go to Romance, search by date - click twice to pull up most recent).

In the meantime, has anyone read Carly Phillips? Since reading Victoria Dahl's "Talk Me Down" I want to read some more contemporary, and they have 6 of her books in a bundle for $13
Old 01-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #56
trishkit
trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trishkit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kobo original, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
My enjoyment of Carly Phillips has been hit or miss, mostly because some of her heroines annoy me. Having said that, I have definitely enjoyed many of her books. I'd go for the bundle!

If you haven't already, check out Kristan Higgans, Jill Shalvis and Jennifer Crusie. They are great contemporary authors readily available in ebook format.

I have purchased Dahl's "Talk me down" but haven't read it yet. Maybe tonight!
trishkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #57
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I generally avoid the romance genre, but I'm trying to broaden my reading, a couple of these look interesting, and it's hard to argue with "free."
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #58
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishkit View Post
My enjoyment of Carly Phillips has been hit or miss, mostly because some of her heroines annoy me. Having said that, I have definitely enjoyed many of her books. I'd go for the bundle!

If you haven't already, check out Kristan Higgans, Jill Shalvis and Jennifer Crusie. They are great contemporary authors readily available in ebook format.
I know people who really like Phillips' newer stuff, but hated the reprinted HQN "Simply" series. Of course, those people don't generally read category romance, so the format is not a favorite for them already.

And on the Kristan Higgins? I've seen lots of recommendations for her books, but you have to take in consideration - at least two of her books are written in the present tense. I can't read it. Makes me think of teenagers at the mall:

"So, I go to Jimmy, 'Jimmy, why haven't you asked me to the prom yet?'"
"And he says, 'Babe, I'm keepin' my options open!'"
"So I go home and eat a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's Fish Food because I'm so depressed."

If you can read present tense, go for it. I'm told her stuff is good, otherwise. But if you're not sure or don't know, I'd look for an online excerpt or hit a bookstore and read a few pages before putting money down on one of her books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #59
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks Trishkit and Fizzywater! The "Simply" series was the one I was looking at, and I usually read historical, so maybe I'll give it a pass.

And I can't do the present tense.

Maybe I'll try Jennifer Crusie though, I think I saw a bundle.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #60
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Carly Phillips hasn't worked for me. I've tried a couple of her Bachelor books. Did you try Erin McCarthy? Hmm. Kathleen O'Reilly is my favorite Blaze author (Jo Leigh and Sarah Mayberry also).
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote