Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
FlameShadow
FlameShadow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Ereader for School

Hey everybody I'm looking for an ereader, that is a true ereader, one with an eink display. I would prefer the ereader to be small, six inches or less. Mainly i would like to be able to side-load books and be able to take notes (that could be accessed later on a computer). I would not be opposed to a root-able device to run android on (not a must), as long as original functionality is still present. Along with being able to take notes, I want a super portable ereader, one that could fit in my back pocket. Any suggestions would be great. Currently I am looking at the kobo mini, nook simple touch, and kobo glow. Any advice would be great thanks.
FlameShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Kindle Paperwhite will do what you want. But, I would never put an e-ink reader into my back pocket. Any torque, and the screen will be toast.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
FlameShadow
FlameShadow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Re School ereader

Ya i would never put it in my back pocket either but that was just for a size comparison . I just don't see the feasibility of a 9" ereader.
FlameShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The Kindle Paperwhite (as another poster mentioned) would work. The Kindle Basic would not be good for taking notes (five way button for onscreen keyboard). A used or refurbished Kindle Touch would work. You might also take a look at the Sony T2 -- still only $50 (refurbished) at Tiger Direct.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...017&CatId=6847

These come with a stylus so you can write short hand-written notes -- it also syncs to Evernote, which is why I decided to try it. At first I didn't like the fonts (thought they were too light) but it's beginning to grow on me. My Kindle (and Nook) fonts seem almost too dark to me now.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I've used a Kobo Touch (6") and Kobo Aura HD (6.8") I've really enjoyed both of them. One advantage to the Glo over the Mini would be the built in lighting system... it can really come in handy. A major reason I upgraded to the Aura HD.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I'd get a PW if I where you, they Just Work
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameShadow View Post
Hey everybody I'm looking for an ereader, that is a true ereader, one with an eink display. I would prefer the ereader to be small, six inches or less. Mainly i would like to be able to side-load books and be able to take notes (that could be accessed later on a computer). I would not be opposed to a root-able device to run android on (not a must), as long as original functionality is still present. Along with being able to take notes, I want a super portable ereader, one that could fit in my back pocket. Any suggestions would be great. Currently I am looking at the kobo mini, nook simple touch, and kobo glow. Any advice would be great thanks.
When you say "take notes", how long will be? If you are thinking about short comments when reading a paragraph or things like that, I agree with others, Kindle PW will do the trick.

But if you are thinking about sideloading text books and take long notes for studying, I'm afraid an eink device won't be good for that. A tablet is faster for that purpose and they usually have dedicated applications for taking notes and sync to your computer on the fly via wifi.

Modern eink devices have touch screen and their speed when typing is not really fast, to be honest with you; for taking short notes when reading a novel or something like that is ok, but long notes, don't think so.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-15-2014 at 08:13 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, kobo, nook, notes, school