Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #121
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In my opinion, Amazon should just get with the program. They still have the huge advantage of their store, even if they'd put everything online as EPUB. People who now buy a Kindle to shop at Amazon specifically, will still do so if they'd be using EPUB, as, like it or not, Amazon *is* the biggest eBook-retailer for English books (as far as I know, at least).

It always seems as if the biggest company in the business has to do things different from the rest. But that's another topic.
Are you seriously suggesting that Amazon's lack of support for ePub puts them at a commercial disadvantage? Given Amazon's complete domination of the ebook market, it's ePub that's the "minority" format, in sales terms.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #122
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I suspect there are far too many Kindles in the wild for Amazon to suddenly shift tack and offer ePub format....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #123
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
It would be a very simple software (firmware?) update for them to be able to support ePub. Then ALL devices would support ePub (or at least the ones that matter...)

Amazon just chooses not to.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #124
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
It would be a very simple software (firmware?) update for them to be able to support ePub. Then ALL devices would support ePub (or at least the ones that matter...)

Amazon just chooses not to.
Of course they choose not to, and quite rightly, too (from their perspective).

Amazon want people to buy from their store. If they were to support ePub, the result would be a far greater number of Amazon customers able to shop at other stores, than customers of other stores able to shop at Amazon. There would be no commercial incentive whatsoever to do this, and nobody could accuse Amazon of not making sound business decisions.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #125
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I suspect there are far too many Kindles in the wild for Amazon to suddenly shift tack and offer ePub format....
It's no different really to "suddenly" offering KF8. They'd need to update their firmware and arrange it so only Kindles with the epub-capable firmware would get delivered epubs and others get mobis. Over time they could get most people on epubs and start only having new books in epub format.

Of course there's no reason for them to want to do that - they lose part of their lock-in - but it's certainly doable.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #126
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that Amazon's lack of support for ePub puts them at a commercial disadvantage? Given Amazon's complete domination of the ebook market, it's ePub that's the "minority" format, in sales terms.
No, I'm not suggesting they're at a disadvantage. But being the only one to *not* support epub makes them the Apple of the eReader world, and many people hate them for it. I for one. The only reason for having a Paperwhite is because I think the screen and manufacturer support is better than the Glo's. It's not certain my next reader will be an Amazon one because I detest it when companies try vendor lock-in. If I can't circumvent it, I'll not buy from them.

Some people would gladly buy all their books from Amazon (like me, because of choice), but use a Kobo Glo instead of a Kindle because the Glo has some features the Kindle lacks.

Because I consider epub to be the superior format to work with, I refuse to buy azw books, and I deDRM everything. I'll tailor / convert my books for the hardware, not the other way around (with epub as the base format), but most people just don't have the knowledge, skill, patience, or are just lazy. They want Amazon books (because of choice, not because it's Amazon), so they must have an Amazon reader. And after spending a lot of money in Amazon's store, each new reader must also be Amazon.

Many people buy Amazon hardware AND DRM-ed books, and many buy Apple stuff and iOS apps. They must really *love* vendor lock-in and not having the possibility to move to another ecosystem without losing all their stuff.

Not me....

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-14-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #127
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
And because I consider epub to be the superior format to work with, I refuse to buy azw books.
Amazon's KF8 (aka "AZW3") format essentially IS ePub (in a wrapper) and can be seamlessly converted to and from ePub. I buy a fair few ePub books myself, because often BoB's prices are better than Amazon's, and never have any problems converting from ePub to AZW3.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #128
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Still, I need to convert KF8 to epub before I can do anything with it in Sigil, or EpubMetaDataEditor,and I don't want that. I only buy books in my chosen base format, except when there is no other choice.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #129
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Still, I need to convert KF8 to epub before I can do anything with it in Sigil, or EpubMetaDataEditor,and I don't want that. I only buy books in my chosen base format, except when there is no other choice.
Fair enough. I buy from wherever's best for a particular book - eg from Kobo or BoB when they have a good sale on. Conversion is so very easy that it's not something I give a second thought to. Calibre just does it.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #130
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amazon's KF8 (aka "AZW3") format essentially IS ePub (in a wrapper) and can be seamlessly converted to and from ePub.
I haven't tried converting AZW3 to ePub. If I use Calibre will it go in and "calibrefy" all the css/tags or does it just "unwrap" it back to an ePub. Or better yet, is there a way to be able to directly access the files without "converting" - like changing the extension to '.zip' on an epub??
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #131
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I haven't tried converting AZW3 to ePub. If I use Calibre will it go in and "calibrefy" all the css/tags or does it just "unwrap" it back to an ePub. Or better yet, is there a way to be able to directly access the files without "converting" - like changing the extension to '.zip' on an epub??
Converting will "calibrefy" it, yes, but you can edit it directly using Calibre's "Tweak Book" option. Or I believe you can use the "Mobiunpack" tool, although I've not personally used that.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #132
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Cool - thanks! I'll give it a whirl.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Incorrect. More people read ePub world wide then Kindle eBooks. There are more Readers sold world wide that are ePub capable. There are all the apps for phones/tablets that handle ePub. Face it, Kindle is #2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Firmware updates and it's a done deal.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What you do is install the KindleUnpack plugin for Calibre. Use that to move the KF8 files to ePub (it does not do a conversion) and then you can edit/fix the errors in Sigil.

But if the KF8 has embedded fonts and you want to keep them, you have to Tweak eBook the KF8 and extract the fonts and put them in the ePub over the ones that are there. Also, you have to remove the file that says the fonts in the ePub are obfuscated.

But when done, you have an ePub that mirrors the KF8.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-14-2013 at 07:38 PM.