Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleChickie View Post
Please provide proof he lied. Amazon has never said the didn't show it off.
I have no idea what blogger / article you're talking about. I just take anything I read off of a blog with a grain of salt.

And what's with the "Amazon has never said they didn't show it off"?? Is Amazon supposed to reply to every blogger article ever published? Did someone directly ask an Amazon rep if the blogger article was true and the rep gave a little wink and "no comment"?

Last edited by Zeebra; 08-09-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Exactly. The light is not important to me. What I'd like to see is higher resolution like the iriver story HD or the onxy i62 hd. If Amazon or Sony makes one of those, I'll want one.
out of my mind
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
A blogger isn't exactly a bastion of reliable information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleChickie View Post
Please provide proof he lied. Amazon has never said the didn't show it off.
I agree totally with @Zeebra. Bloggers are full of themselves and a large stock yard full of BS. The burden of proof lies with the blogger, not with Amazon. I personally believe zero percent of what I hear/read from bloggers. Even many of the bloggers who have been long time MR members are unreliable and full of bovine scatterings.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Features I want from my next Kindle (or other ebook reader)
  1. long battery life (weeks or months, not hours or days)
  2. robust screen (no glass substrate)
  3. higher resolution screen
  4. front light
  5. colour

And in that order, I think.

That said, I suspect we'll see what is essentially a Kindle Touch with a front light before we'll see any of the other improvements.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Exactly. The light is not important to me. What I'd like to see is higher resolution like the iriver story HD or the onxy i62 hd. If Amazon or Sony makes one of those, I'll want one.
How much of a difference does a higher resolution make if all you read is novels, does it make the text crisper, improve the contrast?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
How much of a difference does a higher resolution make if all you read is novels, does it make the text crisper, improve the contrast?
Yes, that's exactly what it does.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I suspect we'll see what is essentially a Kindle Touch with a front light before we'll see any of the other improvements.
I hope it will be improved beyond just a light. If not, well, I'll look for a refurbished current-model Kindle Touch. Or just wait for the next generation.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #23
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
I've yet to see the iRiver HD in person so I can't say how much better a higher resolution screen would be for a Kindle. It seems crisp enough as is to me, maybe I don't know what i'm missing?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Higher resolution won't improve the contrast. Contrast is "how black is black and how white is white", and resolution won't change that. However, it will certainly make the text look crisper.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I've yet to see the iRiver HD in person so I can't say how much better a higher resolution screen would be for a Kindle. It seems crisp enough as is to me, maybe I don't know what i'm missing?
Same here, which is why I asked the question about what difference it would make.

Though I guess it might be like HD TV, standard definition looks just fine, then you watch something in HD and can see a difference... I'm just not convinced that it'll matter much for an e-ink ereader. Possibly (for me at least) a bit like the lack of KF8 support for the Kindle 3, a bit of a non-event really.

Regards the contrast, will HD perhaps make the text a deeper black, therefore appear to improve the contrast?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I see, well to me that would make a big difference, and I hope they will produce a Kindle touch like that.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It must be soon because M-Edge has posted on their Facebook page about the new covers they are designing.

I want one because right now I am using my Kindle Fire to read at night. A book light isn't an option for me due to having a picky husband who says they are too bright. He complains about the Fire but thanks to the Screen Dim app I can turn it down to 0.8% and he shuts up.

I own a K3 lighted cover and I can't use it because it's shines in his eyes so I bought the Kindle Fire but a lighted Kindle with adjustable light brightness would be ideal for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I didn't care for the lighted cover for my K3 and sold it. I do like the m-edge eluminator, I use it with my K3 or my Sony T1, which fits into the K3 case. Very nice light. Not something I want to throw in my bag when traveling, though. So a front-lit Kindle would be good for that.

I wonder if the next Sony will be front-lit...
Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Features I want from my next Kindle (or other ebook reader)
[snip]
I forgot one:

* A better text renderer, so that paragraphs and perhaps even pages are laid out nicely.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #30
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Has the fact that Barns and Nobels has had a signficicant amount of time with a technological advantage done a lot of dammage to Amazon's kindle business?
The Nook is only sold in USA, I don't think Amazon business have had a lot of damage
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote