Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
digory
Enthusiast
digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle touch
KindCalc: Calculator for Kindle Touch

I finally got the HelloWorld running, and I even managed to work my calculator applet into a proper Kindlet, and it actually works!! Finally! I am glad I found enough information on this forum, albeit that it took me quite some time until I found the proper threads.

I am going to post the app here in this thread as soon as it is ready. Currently I am having font size problems. I'll have to dig this forum for the manifest's Font-Size-Mode attribute, I guess.

So long

EDIT:
Release 1.0: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...71#post2147271

Release 1.01 with full sources: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=65

Last edited by digory; 04-06-2013 at 08:45 AM.
digory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by digory View Post
I finally got the HelloWorld running, and I even managed to work my calculator applet into a proper Kindlet, and it actually works!! Finally! I am glad I found enough information on this forum, albeit that it took me quite some time until I found the proper threads.

I am going to post the app here in this thread as soon as it is ready. Currently I am having font size problems. I'll have to dig this forum for the manifest's Font-Size-Mode attribute, I guess.

So long
I have not made a kindlet yet. Please post a simple "guide" (perhaps in a wiki page) of the steps you found that worked for you (or at least some links to the posts you found valuable). A lot of the good stuff here is buried deeply and may not be easy to find. Even just a page (or post) with links (mini index) of the relevant stuff that helped you get it working would be a great addition to the kindlet index.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just saw the fonthack reference in the other thread. Perhaps we need to simplify that into a basic "how to write and package a kindlet" guide.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-07-2012 at 08:21 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
I'm not sure that it's proper place, but... Just an info for those who use kindlepdfviewer: I've recently a bit modified inputbox.lua in the kpdfviewer-release so to have an opportunity to calculate. It has no appreciable value for the reader, so i did not share this code yet. But if anyone is interested, drop me a line.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuPogodi View Post
I'm not sure that it's proper place, but... Just an info for those who use kindlepdfviewer: I've recently a bit modified inputbox.lua in the kpdfviewer-release so to have an opportunity to calculate. It has no appreciable value for the reader, so i did not share this code yet. But if anyone is interested, drop me a line.
"No appreciable value"? I think it would be valuable as an example (for a learning experience) if nothing else, and I happen to like embedded calculators in apps, so please post it.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
"No appreciable value"? I think it would be valuable as an example (for a learning experience) if nothing else, and I happen to like embedded calculators in comprehensive apps, so please post it.
calculator_for_kpdfviewer_2012.05.zip (12 KB) contains two files:
1. inputbox.lua (it includes the calculator code)
2. filechooser.lua (to run the calculator by pressing 'K')
Just replace the corresponding files from the latest kpdfviewer-release.

NB. Since the key 'H' (usually used in kpdfviewer to see helppage) is used for char input, the help (where the rest shortcuts are described) within inputbox is called by Alt-H.

Last edited by NuPogodi; 07-07-2012 at 12:24 PM.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Some people read *.pdf files with a lot of embedded math.
So having a good calculator in the pdf reader can be a useful feature in following such documents.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
digory
Enthusiast
digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!digory is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I have not made a kindlet yet. Please post a simple "guide" (perhaps in a wiki page) of the steps you found that worked for you (or at least some links to the posts you found valuable). A lot of the good stuff here is buried deeply and may not be easy to find. Even just a page (or post) with links (mini index) of the relevant stuff that helped you get it working would be a great addition to the kindlet index.
I've written a little HOWTO/FAQ. See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...37#post2141537
Cheers
Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
I've written a little HOWTO/FAQ. See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...37#post2141537
Cheers
I saw that. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
digory
Enthusiast

Here comes the first version of my calculator! Please tell me if it runs on your kindle!
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-12T22_43_12-0843.gif
Views:	5367
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	89056  
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindcalc100.zip (33.5 KB, 2450 views)
Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
Here comes the first version of my calculator! Please tell me if it runs on your kindle!
Cheers
I do not see source code in the zip file.

In this forum we share our source code so we can learn from each other. In the parent forum, there are those who do not share source code, but as a general rule, we do here. After all, you learned from us, so it is only right that you share with us (especially what you post here).

We also use open source licensing (where permissive licenses such as MIT or BSD are preferred by most of us, myself included). There are professional developers who are not allowed to touch GPL however (even for personal projects), to prevent "infecting" their commercial code (or even the appearance of having done so). I go to great lengths to find code that has permissive licensing.

Please share. Thanks.

After all, people can buy a real physical calculator at the dollar store, so it is not like it has all that much commercial value. It is a nice addition to a jailbroken kindle however, so making it free and open would be a valuable addition to our code base here. And it does look rather nice from the screenshot provided above.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-12-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Cheers
FYI. I merged your keys into the Merged developer keystore
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Cheers
Thanks for the app. Just tried it and worked w/o any problem

I wish we could write a whole line as in NuPogodi's add-on for the kindlepdfviewer.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
digory
Enthusiast

Thanks PoP for merging my keys into the Merged dev keystore. @geekmaster: The source code currently is a mess, and I don't do much magic in there. I might post it here after I've cleaned it up a bit.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
Thanks PoP for merging my keys into the Merged dev keystore. @geekmaster: The source code currently is a mess, and I don't do much magic in there. I might post it here after I've cleaned it up a bit.
We are looking forward to seeing the source code (I am not alone here).
Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
visvet
visvet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.2
KindCalc is not working

Hello, the calculator KindCalc works on my KT (5.1.2) w/o any problem for about 5 days. Now, when I start KindCalc (Peter Amberg), it is Error message window:
"The permissions to open the item have an invalid date. Please contact the developer. <Close>".

I saw the time on KT was incorrect, so I set actual time.
It is still not working cacl - same error.

I didnt find solution, how check and set correct date, so I turn on wifi, open web sites, etc.

And - after that the cacl working again!

Why the time and date changed itself?
How can I check date and set new one?

Last edited by visvet; 09-04-2012 at 08:08 PM.
visvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindlets