Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Is it possible to use N2A with a STR?

This is probably a completely dumb question but I was wondering whether the N2A root would work on the Nook STR. I looked on their site and there's no mention of the STR. I'm completely in the dark as to how the Nook operating system works.

Thanks for any help.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
This is probably a completely dumb question but I was wondering whether the N2A root would work on the Nook STR. I looked on their site and there's no mention of the STR. I'm completely in the dark as to how the Nook operating system works.

Thanks for any help.
No they are two different devices. The STR uses a different method for Root. and cannot dualboot off SD card.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I suspected it was something like that. Too bad; the n2a cards are a good solution for people like me who are afraid of bricking their Nooks. I'm really only looking for a way to get interactive fiction on my Nook STR. Someone on the forum told me about Twisty, a Z machine originally created to render Infocom games and is being used for the newer interactive fiction. Twisty runs on Android and eInk seems perfect for the genre although I don't know how it handles the on-screen keyboard.

I've started rambling. Thanks for the quick reply.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I suspected it was something like that. Too bad; the n2a cards are a good solution for people like me who are afraid of bricking their Nooks. I'm really only looking for a way to get interactive fiction on my Nook STR. Someone on the forum told me about Twisty, a Z machine originally created to render Infocom games and is being used for the newer interactive fiction. Twisty runs on Android and eInk seems perfect for the genre although I don't know how it handles the on-screen keyboard.

I've started rambling. Thanks for the quick reply.
If you can follow instructions it s almost impossible to brick your device. i have the original Nook and rooted it as soon as soft root became available, that is a lot harder than using autonooter for the NST. I won't buy an Android device that can't be rooted.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Tom93
Tom93 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
No they are two different devices. The STR uses a different method for Root. and cannot dualboot off SD card.
I realize you can't use an n2a SD card for the NC on an STR, but if the autonooter for the STR works by booting off the SD card, why couldn't someone make an n2a card for the STR that works like the one for the NC - boot with the SD card and you have full android; boot without the SD card and you have a generic STR.

Is it just that there's no demand for it so no one's developed it since rooting the STR is pretty foolproof, or are there technical limitations ?

Last edited by Tom93; 02-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Tom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
To the best of my knowledge it is because of how the operating system is setup for the Nook STR. It cannot boot off of the SD card. So what happens, AFAIK, you are loading the new firmware/OS on to the SD card which then loads it in to main storage pool used for holding the OS and firmware when you reboot it. To get back to the original Nook OS, you have to reload it back on to the SD card which goes through the same process of loading it to the main memory OS storage pool overwritting what was there.

So you can't boot selectively off the SD card. You can (so far and AFAIK) only have a single OS/firmware configuration loaded to that SD card, which overwrites what is on the nook STR. Simply removing the SD card doesn't change what is written to the nook STR already. So no way to select between OS configurations on the SD card, and whatever got loaded up the Nook STR is there until you load in an SD card with a new firmware/OS configuration.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Tom93
Tom93 began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
So let me rephrase this; with the NC, you can boot to and run the OS and all it's apps off the SD card. But with the STR, you can't run the OS from the SD card.
With the STR, you can automatically run a script and/or some apps from the SD card at boot, but this is done by the OS in main memory.

So in order to have something like an n2a for the STR, you'd have to have two SD cards - one to load the open OS into main memory, and a separate "a2n" card that would re-load the standard OS into main memory. And since the standard OS is proprietary, BN would have to supply the "a2n" card.
Just found this: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...ket-and-gapps/
You CAN make your own "a2n" card by copying what's on the STR before you root it, but this is probably too much to expect from a normal user.

Last edited by Tom93; 02-03-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Tom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I'm not an expert, but I believe that the TouchNoogie and TouchNooter images are both booting from the SD card, but they don't have a full Android OS with all the normal utilities.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 02-05-2012 at 10:22 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Can someone post a link to directions for "nooting" the STR to android?

I have the n2a card on my NC and absolutely love it. I would really love to be able to do something similar for a NookSTR (especially now that the price has dropped so very low).

I am, however, terribly intimidated at the thought of rooting the thing on my own. I realize that no one has yet come up with a n2a card for this device, but I would be willing to give it a shot if only I knew where to find specific instructions.

Thanks!

A
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Just read and follow the instructions from here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1343143
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote