Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
iPad availability?

hello, I live in Europe but will be in the States June 30 - July 10. I'll be in Austin, TX during that time... and then traveling around a bit for the following two weeks (TN,VA,NC).

I was just on hold for an hour with an Apple Store in Austin... and finally hung up, never able to get thru. Basically I wanna ask: can I walk in and buy an iPad? Anyone know what the situation is?

If ordered from the Apple website: it says "ships in 7-10 business days"... which is cutting it too close (by the July 10 deadline). Am I screwed for now? ...or anyone have any suggestions besides eBay?
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Apple will let you walk in and make a reservation for an iPad. When they come in, they call you and you have 24 hours to pick up the iPad. People have reported that they receive calls in 4 to 7 days from the time they go to the store.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm not shocked you had a hard time getting through to an Apple Store the day after the iPhone 4 launch; all the people looking for phones are likely calling non-stop to find out if they have any in stock.

I know in this area (NJ) the Apple Stores have some in stock, but not all memory sizes & wireless options. I suspect the same will be true down there.

Alternate option: National electronics chain Best Buy is also selling the iPad in the US, and from their website they'll let you check stock for the various stores. Between the Best Buy option and being able to call Apple Stores once iPhone fever subsides, I think you should be ok getting one here.

Enjoy your trip to the States. Not sure I'd pick Austin to visit in July, but...
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
There is more than one Apple store in the Austin area. I would wager you could find one, or if not get on the list and receive it in the time frame you will be there.

And yes, trying to reach an Apple store on iPhone 4 launch day would be near impossible...... Maybe try again early next week, or even tomorrow.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
When I ordered my iPad (which I did because the stores were all out) there was about a two week wait. I walked into my local Best Buy yesterday and they had a pretty good stack of them. I didn't look to see which models they were.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
When I ordered my iPad (which I did because the stores were all out) there was about a two week wait. I walked into my local Best Buy yesterday and they had a pretty good stack of them. I didn't look to see which models they were.
Good point, Best Buy is another option, and there are at least two of those in Austin as well.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
In Calgary, they have them in FutureShop and BestBuy ... (no linenes, etc.).
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
hello, I live in Europe but will be in the States June 30 - July 10. I'll be in Austin, TX during that time... and then traveling around a bit for the following two weeks (TN,VA,NC).

I was just on hold for an hour with an Apple Store in Austin... and finally hung up, never able to get thru. Basically I wanna ask: can I walk in and buy an iPad? Anyone know what the situation is?

If ordered from the Apple website: it says "ships in 7-10 business days"... which is cutting it too close (by the July 10 deadline). Am I screwed for now? ...or anyone have any suggestions besides eBay?
If you actually ordered it online I'm not sure what will happen if you simply go to the local store website and put yourself in the queue for an in-store delivery. I had to wait about a week. BTW ordering it for in-store delivery was a lot easier than contacting the local Apple store. Some of the geniuses are less knowledgeable than others. I don't mean that as a knock but simply a statement of the way things work in the real world.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
kristanhoffman
kristanhoffman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kristanhoffman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kristanhoffman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kristanhoffman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPod Touch / iPad
What people have said so far is true: depends on the store. They may have some in stock, they may not, and they definitely may not have the model/options you're looking for. I definitely recommend checking Best Buy as well.

A couple weeks ago, my boyfriend wanted an iPad, and it took us 4 days of frantic calling and visiting a number of Apple and Best Buy stores before we finally got one. It wasn't the model we wanted, but we were leaving on a trip and it was better than being without.

(We wanted 32gb 3g, we ended up with 64gb 3g.)

The way my boyfriend actually ended up finding which store had some in stock (b/c they were ALL out when we visited/called, and couldn't pinpoint when they'd get their next shipments or what would be in them) by using milo.com. Check it out!

--

kristanhoffman.com - writing dreams into reality
"Twenty-Somewhere" at Amazon or Smashwords - Three best friends, one big world, and way too many problems to count...
kristanhoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post

Do you know anyone who can buy one for you ahead of time in any of the U.S. cities you're visiting? You could arrive and pay the person back, or send money ahead of time.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Do you know anyone who can buy one for you ahead of time in any of the U.S. cities you're visiting? You could arrive and pay the person back, or send money ahead of time.
Thanks, all, for the feedback. Yes, I do, and I might have to arrange that; the problem seems to be they are not available anywhere at the moment. I checked the BestBuy product finder yesterday--and milo.com just now (thank you, k-hoff)--and I couldn't find either a 32 or 64 gb WiFi version in Austin, Nashville, Raleigh, or Richmond. ...only a couple 64gb wifi/3g.

UPDATE: I was finally able to get thru to one of the Apple Stores in Austin and got placed on the reserve. They're completely out of iPads, but if a few 64gb WiFi iPads arrive on the truck between now and July 10--which seems pretty likely--one's mine. (and yes, I can have a friend pick it up if it arrives before I do, but I'm supposed to call and give them the person's name after it arrives. Seems odd/inefficient, but I'm not complaining.)

Quote:
Enjoy your trip to the States. Not sure I'd pick Austin to visit in July, but...
yeah, it was either Hell or Austin, and hell was booked. Actually, I lived in Austin 10+ years before moving to Europe... and I much prefer visiting in the non-summer months (aka January and February).
Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Texasdoc
Texasdoc began at the beginning.

iPads in Austin

I was just in the Apple store at Barton Creek Mall about an hour ago. They had a 64GB 3G iPad in stock. The store at The Domain had none at all. Depending on how long you'll be in Austin, I think you have a good chance of finding SOME iPad model in stock even if the one you reserved doesn't show up in time.
Texasdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
vonCZ
Connoisseur

cool, thanks! I had only checked The Domain, as it's right across the street from the PRC, my day-time address (and I'll be tethered to public transport). But if my reserve doesn't work out at The Domain, I'm sure I can catch a ride down to BCMall. Thanks again!!