Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
allanv
allanv began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Downloading e books

If anyone knows any online stores where one can download books that can be read on the Sony without having to use a US credit card please let me know.

Thanks
Allan
allanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you mean without any kind of conversion, Fictionwise offers Sony format in their books that are offered as "Multiformat".
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
allanv

Which format should i select when buying the book to read it on the Sony-as it is not stated.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv View Post
Which format should i select when buying the book to read it on the Sony-as it is not stated.
The Multiformat titles should give "Sony Reader (LRF)" as an option. Note: This is only on titles offered as Multiformat. Most, if not all, titles from the major publishing houses will not be available in this format as it has no DRM.

The other option is to buy a book in MS Reader (LIT) or Mobipocket (PRC/MOBI) format and remove the DRM and then convert it using calibre (was libprs500) or Book Designer. If you do a search you'll find tons of threads on this subject.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-03-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
allanv

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the info, i have downloaded the convertor but i cannot find any DRM removers? Do you prehaps know any?
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have a Windows system, you can use ConvertLIT to remoe the DRM from MS Reader eBooks and then use lit2lrf to convert very easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
allanv

Hi..i'm terribly sorry to be a pain, but i've been trying to do it and it says that the file is not a .lit..it's a .prc???...could you tell me how else i could do this??

Thank you!!

Deidre
Old 05-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Also books available from www.SteveJordanBooks.com are available in Sony LRF format.

There is no current way to remove DRM from eReader (PRC) or MobiPocket (PRC and MOBI) books.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv View Post
Hi..i'm terribly sorry to be a pain, but i've been trying to do it and it says that the file is not a .lit..it's a .prc???...could you tell me how else i could do this??

Thank you!!

Deidre
Bad news, Deirdre, prc is the wrong format. You should have chosen the option with the .lit file extension. Try downloading it in the lit format.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
There is no current way to remove DRM from eReader (PRC) or MobiPocket (PRC and MOBI) books.
Search for eReader2html and mobidedrm
Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Bad news, Deirdre, prc is the wrong format. You should have chosen the option with the .lit file extension. Try downloading it in the lit format.
To late if it was bought from Fictionwise. THe only let you download the single format you bought for the DRM titles. For the multi-format (non-DRM) you can download them in any format.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #12
allanv

And PDB to lrf/rtf/txt?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid you'll have to be a little more specific.

A PDB file is a "container" - like a ZIP file. It can contain absolutely any data format whatsoever. What specific eBook format are you asking about?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:55 AM   #14
allanv

It just says it is a PDB file..and i have checked if anything can be extracted and nothing can. I bought it from booksonboard.com for my PDA reader.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Open the PDB file in Windows "Notepad". It will look like garbage, but in the first line or so you'll see an 8-character string. This may say "TEXtREAd", or it may say something different. If you tell us what it says, we can tell you what eBook format you have, and hence what - if any - converters are available for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote