Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
mapleflock
mapleflock began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Where to buy in Canada?

Hi,

I'm desperately looking to buy a good ebook reader in Toronto. I wonder why do we always have to be second category citizens.

In what physical store in Toronto can I buy the Sony E-Reader PRS-505?

Thanks in advance.
mapleflock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
mapleflock
mapleflock began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Where to buy in Toronto?

Hi,

I'm desperately looking to buy a good ebook reader in Toronto. I wonder why do we always have to be second category citizens.

In what physical store in Toronto can I buy the Cybook Gen3?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I posted the same question in the Sony forum too, because at this point, I'd be happy to get either of them.
mapleflock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are no stores anywhere in the world (AFAIK) whence one can buy a Gen3. It is only available on-line.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
good luck

I received one for xmas but I believe mine came from the US. When I spoke to the tech at the call centre I was told that Canadians are interested in this product and that there are no plans to release here in the at least the next year. Question: How many major book awards does the US give out ?? Besides programs like Canada Reads, need I mention Giller, G.G. (Governor General ) awards, These two awards are given live during T.V. specials. Ok I'm rambling but I can't believe the reading habits from the US and Canada are so dissimilar unless its that Canadians read at least the same and certainly not less nor are less interested in techi gadgets.

Ok mindless rant over
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The 505 is not carried in very many retail locations, and only in the US. You're not too far from Buffalo. You might find a Borders bookstore that has them.

Like Harry said, the Cybook is not available in any retail store.

As for buying them, your best price for the Cybook is from NAEB. Yes, they will ship to Canada. You might want to consider the 500 instead of the 505. You can get it on Ebay for around $200 brand new.

P.S. I merged the two threads because they asked the same question.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi,

I live in Montreal and I feel your pain. My brother in law tried to buy one during his last trip to New York, but they were sold out.

I've tried many reseller site and the only one I've found that would ship to Canada is out-of-stock (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ital_Book.html)

Good luck
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
jaguaracer
jaguaracer began at the beginning.

Device: None
I'm considering the prs-505 J&R World from NYC. http://www.jr.com/

I was down there in Christmastime but was waiting for any news on the Kindle. With the continual supply shortgages, I'm guessing we won't be seeing it for quite sometime so I'm thinking of going for the sony reader.
jaguaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Czuken
Czuken began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
It's avalable in Toronto

Last edited by Czuken; 01-23-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Czuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Big caveat - if you buy Sonystore products in the US, they will not honour the warranty in Canada. To get it serviced, you will have to take it/ship it to the US. If you ship, enjoy the customs charges and the long wait.

In general, in Canada we receive Sony products slower and at inflated prices with absolutely no justification.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
Brynna87
Brynna87 began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600
Curious, has anyone bought this in the USA and brought it back to Canada, and if so - what were the customs charges?
Brynna87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
You can try getting PocketBook 301 if you don't mind trying other makes.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are no stores anywhere in the world (AFAIK) whence one can buy a Gen3. It is only available on-line.
I saw it for sale in the Virgin store in Montpellier, France only a few weeks ago. Not that that helps the OP much.

EDIT - man, this is an old thread - the post I quoted was from nearly two years ago!

Last edited by Grauheim; 10-12-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
The Sony Store on the lowest level of the Eaton Centre, near the Sears end, has the Sony readers.
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
onewayherway
Enthusiast
onewayherway began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
Staples.ca has the sony reader 505 on sale till the end of the day. I ordered Wednesday afternoon and received it by Friday morning with no shipping charges. Great service.
onewayherway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
onewayherway
Enthusiast
onewayherway began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
I also saw the new sony 300 and 600s at the futureshop in Vernon BC. Probably will be in other futureshops by now. I just pruchased the 505 and happy I chose the 6" screen the 5" would be to small for me.
onewayherway is offline   Reply With Quote