Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Kindle games not for Canadians ?

Has anyone else noticed that most, if not all, games for the Kindle are not available to Canadians ?

A new Sudoku, from EA came out recently - with decent reviews - and again - it is not for Canadians... same for all other games too.... geez.

While I commute - or at the doctor's office - I would love a word game or a Sudoku,

I know it's probably due to some rights or something, but I find this insulting. What gives?

Denis
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
search the forum, how to get around this issue has been posted before...
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
civiliza
civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksquadofun View Post
Has anyone else noticed that most, if not all, games for the Kindle are not available to Canadians ?

A new Sudoku, from EA came out recently - with decent reviews - and again - it is not for Canadians... same for all other games too.... geez.

While I commute - or at the doctor's office - I would love a word game or a Sudoku,

I know it's probably due to some rights or something, but I find this insulting. What gives?

Denis
Same problem for the UK. I can understand why spelling games like Every Word would need localisation, but what's so American specific about number puzzles like sudoku?

Anyway, I've satisfied my temporary Sudoku craving by creating my own rudimentary Sudoku web page at: http://www.civiliza.webspace.virginm...om/SDKForm.htm.

Tricky puzzles and no pencil notes / hints / solving, but once accessed in the Kindle's browser it will provide 100 puzzles.

Last edited by civiliza; 12-03-2010 at 10:55 AM.
civiliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by civiliza View Post
Same problem for the UK. I can understand why spelling games like Every Word would need localisation, but what's so American specific about number puzzles like sudoku?
Localisation, licensing and testing. Licensing is a big one as many of these popular games have the publishing rights split between various companies in each country. One company might get the right to publish for phones. Another might get the right to publish for games consoles.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
civiliza
civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Localisation, licensing and testing. Licensing is a big one as many of these popular games have the publishing rights split between various companies in each country. One company might get the right to publish for phones. Another might get the right to publish for games consoles.
Guess so, it's just that from the viewpoint of a casual gamer, EA seem to have been omnipresent in the UK since the days of the Speccy(?) or at least the Atari ST / Amiga era.

Doubtless it's due to local divisions / licences within EA, but it's frustrating to see a company with such a long running history in the UK failing to release this game on Amazon.uk.

Maybe they think we haven't bought enough Kindles yet?
civiliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert