Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
Mamaijee
Connoisseur
Mamaijee doesn't litterMamaijee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Main Interface - Book Details

In the Main Interface:Book Details which option should i choose so that the metadata sources (which I have seleceted in Metadata Download preference) are displayed. Currently only author, formats and path is displayed.

Thank u
Mamaijee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Are you talking about the contents of the Details pane (picture: bottom placed)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Details.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	190140  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaijee View Post
In the Main Interface:Book Details which option should i choose so that the metadata sources (which I have seleceted in Metadata Download preference) are displayed. Currently only author, formats and path is displayed.

Thank u
Identifiers

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:18 PM   #4
Mamaijee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Identifiers

BR
Yes they are selected but no metadata source shows up on book details
Old 11-11-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes they are selected but no metadata source shows up on book details
Have you actually downloaded the metadata and saved it? The download metadata shows the details it has found and you choose a book. That will populate the other metadata fields and set the identifiers. Then the "Ids" field in the metadata editor will show the identifiers. When you save the changes from there, the identifiers should show in the book details panel with the other metadata.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #6
Mamaijee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are you talking about the contents of the Details pane (picture: bottom placed)?
Yes thats right.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:00 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes thats right.
If there is nothing (else) shown, You have no DATA in those columns. Calibre hides empty categories in details.
You are not getting/doing Metadata Downloads.
Author, Title are from the Book (basic Dublin Core Metadata), ID is from Calibres Add processing. Series IS NOT required/or a standard (Dumb, but I did not make the rules )
Old 11-12-2021, 03:01 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Mamaijee - Is there anything in the Ids: fieid in MDE, viz:

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	190154

Can theducks or davidfor suggest why the Goodreads identifier is not showing up in Book Details? I have no idea, I normally throw that stuff away. The screenshot comes from my Test library.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-12-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Is there anything in the Ids: fieid in MDE, viz:

Attachment 190154

Can theducks or davidfor suggest why the Goodreads identifier is not showing up in Book Details? I have no idea, I normally throw that stuff away. The screenshot comes from my Test library.

BR
Works for me.
Does Goodreads show in Identifiers section of the Tag browser?
Duplicate book, but the dup does not have Goodreads Identifier
Old 11-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does Goodreads show in Identifiers section of the Tag browser?
Yep.

If I click on 'goodreads' in TB all the books with a 'goodreads' Identifier are listed, but none have a clickable "Goodreads' link in the Book Details sidebar, or in the press 'I' variant.

If I click on 'google' in TB all the books with a 'google' Identifier are listed, and all have a clickable "Google' link in the Book Details sidebar, and in the press 'I' variant.

I'm loathe to regard this as a bug because it's only happening in my Test library, and I . . .

Solved!!! because I don't have a Goodreads metadata plugin I don't have Goodreads as a metadata source. I might have had it once, but given I don't use any Identifier links in the curated libraries I ditched any optional metadata plugins I had.

Maybe that's @Mamaijee's problem - missing metadata plugins.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-12-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #11
Mamaijee
Connoisseur

Unhappy

I have downloaded metadata plugins for Goodreads, Fantastic Fiction and Amazon Intl. And herein lies my problem........Not only do the ids not show up in the book details, but even in metadownloads, just name of book comes up, and the source of the metadata (like Fan Fic, or Good reads) but no actual comments ie metadata. I downloaded latest version of Calibre hoping it would help but no dice

Quote:
Yep.

If I click on 'goodreads' in TB all the books with a 'goodreads' Identifier are listed, but none have a clickable "Goodreads' link in the Book Details sidebar, or in the press 'I' variant.

If I click on 'google' in TB all the books with a 'google' Identifier are listed, and all have a clickable "Google' link in the Book Details sidebar, and in the press 'I' variant.

I'm loathe to regard this as a bug because it's only happening in my Test library, and I . . .

Solved!!! because I don't have a Goodreads metadata plugin I don't have Goodreads as a metadata source. I might have had it once, but given I don't use any Identifier links in the curated libraries I ditched any optional metadata plugins I had.

Maybe that's @Mamaijee's problem - missing metadata plugins.

BR
Old 11-14-2021, 02:01 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have downloaded metadata plugins for Goodreads, Fantastic Fiction and Amazon Intl. And herein lies my problem........Not only do the ids not show up in the book details, but even in metadownloads, just name of book comes up, and the source of the metadata (like Fan Fic, or Good reads) but no actual comments ie metadata. I downloaded latest version of Calibre hoping it would help but no dice
That doesn't make sense. When you download the metadata, it should set the identifier for the source you are using. The steps that you should be doing, for a single book are:
  1. Open the metadata editor.
  2. Click the "Download metadata" button.
  3. Wait.
  4. When the list of matched books is displayed, select the one that matches best. The identifiers for this match will be displayed.
  5. Press the Ok button to accept this metadata.
  6. On the next screen, choose the cover you want to use. If the current cover is the one you want, select it.
  7. Press the Ok button to accept the cover and the metadata.
  8. The selected metadata, including the identifiers, plus the cover should be displayed in the metadata editor.
  9. Press the OK button to actually save all this.

If the identifiers do not turn up after that, you must have them not displaying.

If particular metadata items do not show, then was it showing in the download window? Did it show in the metadata editor? If not, then you need to check the options for the metadata download. And the site the metadata comes from. If they are in the metadata editor, then check the settings of what is displayed.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:02 PM   #13
Mamaijee
Connoisseur

I am following the 9 steps as you have listed but no luck so far.

Can u suggest what should the options be for the metadata download after I have chosen the sources of the metadata as also what the settings of the metadata editor. I presume you mean the settings which will be in Look and feel > Book details

Thank you
Old 11-16-2021, 12:48 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am following the 9 steps as you have listed but no luck so far.
So where is it failing? Are you seeing the full details in the metadata download window? Are you seeing the chosen details in the metadata editor window?
Quote:
Can u suggest what should the options be for the metadata download after I have chosen the sources of the metadata as also what the settings of the metadata editor. I presume you mean the settings which will be in Look and feel > Book details
Yes, that is where what is shown in the book details pane is controlled. And specifically, it is what is selected in the "Select displayed metadata" list.

But, metadata download also has options for what is accepted. There is an overall configuration of what will be updated for the book. And each metadata source plugin has options for what will be taken from that source. That will affect the metadata that gets updated. But, the identifiers will always be updated.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:51 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Mamaijee - check the settings in Preferences->Metadata download

Name:	Clipboard.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	190274

BR