Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Areinu
Enthusiast
Areinu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Nook VS Sony T1 VS 650 VS iRiver HD - which to choose

I currently have Sony PRS 600, which I really like, but it's awful to read without good light, which I often don't get. I already got used to interface, and have figured out it's advantages and disadvantages. I see 650 as 600 with better screen, which is cool. But I'm thinking if one of other options could be better for me.

I'm looking for something to read manga on. 600/650 have terrible scaling, and I need to convert CBZ, so it's not too nice for that. I find 6'' screen enough for most of manga I read, but rarely I find text too small. What irks me is black bar with status that takes like 20-30 pixels of the screen making manga pages to be even smaller, especially if I keep aspect ratio....

If I was to go with Nook/T1 I would root for sure. This said, before I had PRS-600 I used windows mobile with comic reader mobi. I heard mixed reviews about it on android, but what I couldn't find is if it workd with Nook or T1, and if it does how well it fares. I imagine I could read my manga with full page view on it, and those rare occurences of small text I could quickly zoom. I think it would be ideal experience for manga reading on e-ink devices...

Otherwise iRiver story HD is tempting for it's native CBZ support and higher resolution, that will probably make manga look better, and small text more crisp. I imagine I wouldn't have to zoom in almost at all with what I'm reading. I might be wrong though, hard to see from photos and videos, and opinions are mixed... And people say it's bad, bad device overall. And personally I find it ugly.

So my reasoning is:
PRS650 is familiar feeling, without much progress. The more I think about it the less I like the idea.
PRST1/Nook rooted would be great if comic reader mobi worked, and other apps don't look too shabby. Nook is 1/6th cheaper, but overall it comes to which device would work faster and better.
iRiver Story HD has higher resolution and CBZ out of the box, and is almost as cheap as Nook.

Oh, and I read some books too, but I figure out all those will do decent at book reading. Last year I read about 100 books before manga took over a bit.
Areinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If you're in the US, would like to point out the iRiver Story HD appears to be on clearance at Target for $49.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Areinu
Enthusiast

Unfortunately not. I have to go either by ebay or local shop prices(which usually are close to ebay ones).
Old 03-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
A couple of thoughts, iRiver Story HD would look nicest for reading comics/manga due to the higher resolution. It really helps with legibility. It has native support for CBZ (which is convenient) but if you have CBR, you'd have to convert those to CBZ.

The PRS-650, however, is a much nicer reader and thanks to PRS+, it also has native support for CBZ, CBR and CB7. Hardware-wise, the PRS-x50 series feel better built compared to newer readers.

I'm not sure if Perfect Viewer or similar apps work well on rooted Android e-ink readers such as the PRS-T1. If they do, that'd probably give you a fair reading experience.

Really, what would be nice is if we can get an Android-based reader with 1024x768 or higher resolution. Best of both worlds.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Areinu
Enthusiast

Exactly what I was thinking. The resolution + native support for CBZ is exactly what made me consider iRiver. And if there was android-based reader with that resolution I would already own it. I'm sure one will come out as soon as I buy one of readers I'm considering.

I've been waiting for something better since before they announced T1, so something really might be announced soon :P

I think I'll go with Nook though. From what I gather experience is pretty similar to rooted T1, and I can get refurbished one cheapest of them all. With that I should be alright till dream device comes out.
Advert