Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Which format - Fictionwise.com?

OK, there are a few books I'm looking at on Fictionwise.com. I know my Sony PRS-600 can use the .lrf format, as well as others, and I do have Calibre (and I'm using it with the Sony). Can anyone tell me which format I should choose on Fictionwise to download to my Sony, through Calibre? I know Calibre can convert, but unlike some other websites (like Baen) it's not obvious - to me, anyway - which one to choose.

Thanks for any help. Pandora's Star (among others) awaits!
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
At fictionwise Pandora's star is available in the following formats: [Secure eReader (recommended)/Mobipocket/Microsoft Reader/Adobe PDF]

These are all DRM'd (secure) versions, and theoretically only the Adobe PDF would be loadable on the Sony 600. But I would never choose a PDF for an ebook.

I would choose the Microsoft Reader version (.lit) and deDRM it using clit (convert lit) and use Calibre to convert to either lrf or epub (I prefer lrf).

You can find clit by using a google search.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Donnageddon, I just have to say... it is really hard to read your post without the brain winding up in the gutter.

I will agree with the general idea though: if LIT is a possibility, it is your best bet, since it seems to convert cleanly to LRF or ePub (I personally prefer ePub, but to each his/her own). ePub is usually your best shot when buying books online these days, LIT after that.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, one must be careful when searching for clit using a google search
Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Yes, one must be careful when searching for clit using a google search
That is why you search for ConvertLIT.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is why you search for ConvertLIT.
What's the fun in that?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
What's the fun in that?
Depends on if the OP who was asking a question gets offended by the off-color joke.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

It was not intended in my original post as an "off-color" joke. The program is often referred to as clit, even internally to the program. I did not see the other interpretation in my post until you mentioned it.

... I guess it comes to down to the mind of the reader.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
As a former military wife, I have to say there's not much that offends me! LOL! Thank you for the help!
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote