Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you had trouble with extra memory? What capacities have you used stably?
I HAVE had trouble with adding extra memory 13 13.68%
I have NOT had trouble with adding extra memory 49 51.58%
1 Gigabyte 19 20.00%
2 Gigabyte 49 51.58%
4 Gigabytes 14 14.74%
8 Gigabytes 6 6.32%
16 Gigabytes 6 6.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
Tefeari
Tefeari began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Memory Card Experiences?

I keep hearing different stories on what sort of memory cards and sizes the PRS-505 REALLY handles.

Is it limited to 2 GB for the SD slot? Does it REALLY support SDHC? What sizes has the community had success with? Is it always stable? Do arbitrary SD/SDHC cards simply not function with it?
Tefeari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
Prolet
Prolet began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Just to complement this: Would be interesting to know about the power consumption of that cards - is there any comparison page ?
After trying an SD card, I had to realize that the 505s battery gets drained ugly fast if using mamory card for storing the books. :/
Prolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I noticed the same problem with the power drain so I keep my memory card out of the 505 unless I specifically need it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
2GB Crucial SD card. Currently using approx 1200MB. No problems. Battery lasts several weeks when turned off via the power switch on the top (ie actually in 'suspend' mode and not powered down).
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
stepanok
Connoisseur
stepanok began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
It is well proven by now that SD cards drain your battery power very very fast. It was the first thing i noticed after i got my 505 and at the beginning i thought there was something wrong with it. On the other hand it is of no importance at all since nooone in his right mind would want 5000 books to carry around. Sony's internall memory is more than enough, 150 books is ok
stepanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepanok View Post
since nooone in his right mind would want 5000 books to carry around. Sony's internall memory is more than enough, 150 books is ok
I haven't noticed significant drain using both memstick and SD - then again, I guess I am not in my right mind because I would seriously like to carry a library with me (the only thing holding me back is Sony's inept library management on the reader). Otherwise, what would be the point of an 8 Gb memstick + 16 or even 32 Gb SDHC slot? For MP3s? That would kill your reader's battery in hours.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-20-2008 at 05:44 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
I put an 8gb in my new 505. I just put a 16gb in my music player so the 8gb went in to the new 505. Now I just need to fill it up...at 500k for an average fiction book I need to find 16000 ebooks. I think I know what I would be taking to a desert island

The Patriot 8gb SDHC class 6 card works fine in the 505. I should try the 16gb card just to see if it works.
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Interestingly, a side-bar to the poll might be this:

"How many people use memory cards in their readers?"

Although I've had no trouble in using an SD card, I no longer use one for these reasons:

1) The 505 now sports enough memory for me
2) The power drain
3) The slower loading time

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
No trouble adding memory up to 2GB SD

BUT...battery drained alarmingly when I used the SD card to read off of.
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
ttate90303
Enthusiast
ttate90303 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Apple iPad 3, Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch
Weird, I've had a 4GB Sandisk MS and read exclusively from it and haven't noticed any significant drain.
ttate90303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:43 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a Patriot 2gb card. I don't notice any significant drain either--get quite a bit of life out of my battery. Although, I really haven't tried using my reader without the card to see how long the battery would last.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have the 2 gig PNY. I generally carry the memory card with me, but don't put it in the 505 unless I need a book that isn't on the 505. I put all my books on the memory card, then put the books that I am either reading, or are on my to be read list on the 505. I do put the card in the 505 every time I add books to the card, just to let it index the card. I do find that when I first loaded the card, I needed to add books in sets rather than all at once, since the indexing software seemed to not be able to handle that many new books at once.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
I never used one, having read about power consumption.

But I can understand the feeling of power, having with you all your 1000+ books library, what's wrong with that?

Having said that, I imagine that a simple utility command: "copy book from card to memory" would help a lot - I guess Sony forgot to program it, right?

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
My experience with a 2Gb Sandisk SD card on my 500 (I've since upgraded to a 505) was that the rate of power drain seemed to depend on how close the card was to being full. With it about half full, there was a modest drain compared to no card. With it 95% full, the drain was incredibly fast. But, this is still just anecdotal and therefore not particularly useful information. It would be nice to have real data (actual power drain times for different amounts of data on a card). Because that data isn't available, I keep my SD card tucked away for only occasional use (to read the 40+ Mb PDFs I have that essentially require the use of an SD card).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I am getting a 505 in Sept............does anyone know of the Memory sticks are better. Does this issue only affect SD cards or does the same drain happen with MS too?

I purchased a 2GB MS hoping it would not drain like the SD ones too
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote