Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What about speed readers?

I consider myself a decently fast reader, but I know that I'm not a speed reader. I need to digest every single word. Anyone here who speed reads? If so, does it work with E-books, or are page turning too slow for you to be able to keep pace? Do you require a larger screen (9,7") to manage speed reading?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I read fairly fast (usually 6-7 books a week) - never had problems with e-readers... I am pushing the next page button quite frequently, however.

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Anyone here who speed reads? If so, does it work with E-books, or are page turning too slow for you to be able to keep pace? Do you require a larger screen (9,7") to manage speed reading?
Page turning on e-ink readers is faster than physical page turning. Speed reading should work much better on ebook readers than paper books, even on the ones with older, slower processors. (I am not a speed reader by any sensible standard, but I do read fairly quickly.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I learned speed reading in school, and though I've slowed down a bit over the years, i've never found eReaders to be a hindrance in terms of slow page turn speed.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I don't consider myself a speed reader, but I read a LOT of books, averaging more than 4000 equivalent MMP pages a month. The trick to reading quickly with an electronic reader is to anticipate when you need to press the Next Page button so that you don't have to wait for the screen to refresh between one page and the next. Yes, you press the Next Page button before you read the last words on the page.

With my K1, I learned just when to push the Next Page button as I approach the bottom of the page, so that by the time my eyes have absorbed the last words, the page is already refreshing. The timing on my Sony 505 is different and I've noted that the page turn speed varies between .lrf and .epub books. So, when I move from one reader to the other, it takes me a couple of pages to adjust to the turning speed for that book/reader combination.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I don't consider myself a speed reader, but I read a LOT of books, averaging more than 4000 equivalent MMP pages a month. The trick to reading quickly with an electronic reader is to anticipate when you need to press the Next Page button so that you don't have to wait for the screen to refresh between one page and the next. Yes, you press the Next Page button before you read the last words on the page.

With my K1, I learned just when to push the Next Page button as I approach the bottom of the page, so that by the time my eyes have absorbed the last words, the page is already refreshing. The timing on my Sony 505 is different and I've noted that the page turn speed varies between .lrf and .epub books. So, when I move from one reader to the other, it takes me a couple of pages to adjust to the turning speed for that book/reader combination.
Yeah, this is the same for me. I'm not a "speed reader" but I read very fast - normally about 2-2.5 pages/min. I hit page turn before I hit the end of the page. I'm still adjusting after having the nook for a few months - not quite there yet (sometimes I have to flip back).

It would help if the nook was 100% consistent - some days it runs a tiny bit slower than others, or it varied between books or something.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm a fairly rapid reader and I doubt the speed-reading claims but more importantly, I enjoy reading. Sometimes, a sentence is a jewel and I'll read it twice. I enjoy the process. Perhaps there should be a term like premature erudition for those who put speed above enjoyment.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Perhaps there should be a term like premature erudition for those who put speed above enjoyment.
That actually is a very rude statement. Believe it or not, there ARE people who read by processing sentences, paragraphs, or even whole pages at a time, unlike most of us who process a couple of words at a time. They comprehend, enjoy, whatever, as much as you do. Their ability to process is simply greater than yours.
So please, hold off on those "premature" judgemental statements would you?
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I consider myself a decently fast reader, but I know that I'm not a speed reader. I need to digest every single word. Anyone here who speed reads? If so, does it work with E-books, or are page turning too slow for you to be able to keep pace? Do you require a larger screen (9,7") to manage speed reading?
No. On my PDA for example, you can set the autoscroll screen refresh in numbers of milliseconds.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
That actually is a very rude statement. Believe it or not, there ARE people who read by processing sentences, paragraphs, or even whole pages at a time, unlike most of us who process a couple of words at a time. They comprehend, enjoy, whatever, as much as you do. Their ability to process is simply greater than yours.
lol, exactly. It never fails to amuse me how people can so blithely (and rudely) dismiss other people's experiences.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I'm not a speed reader, but I've found that I do read more quickly on the kindle than I do a printed book. It's easier on my eyes, and they glide across the page like a ballroom dancer across a dance floor!
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #12
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Speed Reader Plus for Pocket PC/Windows Mobile. $20.
http://www.mobiledynamo.com/prod01.htm
"Rapid Serial Visualization Presentation ". The words flash in a box in sequence, pausing (slightly) for punctuation and paragraph breaks.
You can crank it up to over 1000wpm, retaining comprehension.
Eyeballs tend to dry out at those speeds, tho.
-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
No, I won't. I said nothing rude. I said I doubt the speed reading claims. Doubting is rude? I also said that I rather enjoy the process of reading and don't necessarity wish to rush through it.

I was making a comparison with the man who eats a 32-oz. steak in a record-breaking minute and twenty-three seconds or a couple who does Europe in five days or perhaps a man who completes a sex act in 12.8 seconds. They all enjoy, whatever, too. So, I made what I hoped would be a humorous comment. I'm sorry if it missed it's mark but nothing in my post was rude.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Page turning on e-ink readers is faster than physical page turning.
That's true, but an opposing factor is that (at least on a 5" or 6" reader) you have to turn the page much more frequently than you would with a paper book, because far less text is visible on the page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Speed reader or not, I read slower on the Sony partly because of the poor lighting where I am temporarily staying. Need larger fonts.

Strangely, I actually think I enjoy many books more because of the slower pace.

Downside is the too many books, too little time syndrome whenever I browse book selections at my library etc.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote