Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Free or Pass it By?

For several weeks I was offering coupons for my novel Boomerang at a few ebook forums, including here at mobileread. The response was really nice, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a few dozen actual sales both on Smashwords and Amazon Kindle along with a few hundred free downloads.

My question is this: As an ebook person, do you only check out a new author if his/her work can be gotten for free? And if you do download it, what are the chances you will actually even begin reading it?

And if you do so and find you like it, are you apt to tell others about your discovery?

Thanks,
Alan
Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
My question is this: As an ebook person, do you only check out a new author if his/her work can be gotten for free?
Qualified "Yes". If someone who I know has similar taste in books as me recommends an author, I may read that author without a "free taste".

But for the vast majority of "new" authors, I won't even consider reading them unless I can get a "free taste" of their work. (Note that "new" is "new to me" not necessarily an author who has just started writing.)

Quote:
And if you do download it, what are the chances you will actually even begin reading it?
Very good. But it may be a while before I can get the time to read it.

Quote:
And if you do so and find you like it, are you apt to tell others about your discovery?
Yes.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
A free offer brings me into the fold of reading a new to me author. The book has to be good after that. I'm one of the purchasers, because, as much as the free, the description of a book can pull me in.

I haven't started reading Boomerang, yet, because of so many other pulls on my time. But I am looking forward to it.

Ifi I like a book, then I generally tell people looking for similar books about it.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
My question is this: As an ebook person, do you only check out a new author if his/her work can be gotten for free?
No. Free is an incentive, but not the deciding factor. Bigger questions are what genres the author is working in, whether I like that sort of thing, and anything I might have heard about the author or the work, as well as a good capsule description of what the book is about. Free kicks in after the other factors are evaluated.

Quote:
And if you do download it, what are the chances you will actually even begin reading it?
That's an imponderable. It depends on what sort of time I have, and what I'm in the mood for. If I download at all, it's because I would like to at least give the work a shot. I probably will, but I won't commit to when.

Quote:
I certainly do that. The best sources of new stuff to read are recommendations from folks whose taste I know and trust. Mind you,. it doesn't have to be a rave review: there are cases of "She hated it, which means I'll probably love it..."

Quote:
Thanks,
Alan
______
Dennis
Old 11-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Interesting question. When I browse in a bookshop I tend to read the blurb on the back cover and decide whether to buy based on that - I'm not one of those who reads the first few pages. Now I buy solely ebooks I still read the blurb but also look at Amazon reviews to get the 'feel of it' but I still never read sample pages - for me, that would spoil it!
When I see a free ebook offered I read the synopsis, see if the author is known and recommended elsewhere and then decide whether it's the kind of book I might enjoy - if so, I'll download it whilst it's free, even though it may be some time until I actually get round to reading it.
I greatly appreciate the chance to try new (to me) authors for free and have often then gone on to buy their other books - Baen is great for this! The reverse is also true of course, there are several free books I've tried and been completely put off trying any of the author's other works.
So, I'm not an indiscriminate downloader just because it's free, but if I Do download I'll always read it.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I'm significantly more likely to try a new author (again, new to me) if I can get a free, or low cost, book. That doesn't mean it's a sure thing as there have been plenty of free books I've passed up because the description doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy (romance would be a one genre I'm not overly fond of).

I have bought plenty of books based on recommendation here on MR from individuals who I've found have similar tastes. I've also purchased books based on reviews and jackets that have sounded interesting.

Free is a plus and makes it more likely I'll try, but no guarantee.

Again, just my humble opinion.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Free is good.Of course it is but I find myself buying quite a few books from Smashwords for a couple of dollars. Thats just over a £1, hardly breaking the bank now. They do have to catch my interest though. That has not answered your question has it. DOH

Boomerang is on my list but it is a long list. I might have considered paying for it had it not been free. Does that help?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Free is good.Of course it is but I find myself buying quite a few books from Smashwords for a couple of dollars. Thats just over a £1, hardly breaking the bank now. They do have to catch my interest though. That has not answered your question has it. DOH

Boomerang is on my list but it is a long list. I might have considered paying for it had it not been free. Does that help?
Sort of.

Well, no, not really.

But that's okay!

I do hope when it comes to Boomerang's turn on the list that you will enjoy it.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
plumboz, you seem to have started three threads on this topic. This is an unnecessary duplication. So I'm closing this thread and recommend that people post in this one instead:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62595

Last edited by Patricia; 11-18-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Closed Thread