Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #46
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #47
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Never let a good missile crisis go to waste.....
I read the Bio of a Space Tyrant books when I was in college. I can't remember much about them at all (it has been close to 20 years) or even if I finished the series, while I do remember Anthony's first handful of Xanth books (I reread those several times), so I guess I can't reccomend Space Tyrant.

Anyway, I second the Edgar Rice Burroughs. Free and fun, though I liked his Tarzan books better.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #48
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I read the Bio of a Space Tyrant books when I was in college. I can't remember much about them at all (it has been close to 20 years) or even if I finished the series, while I do remember Anthony's first handful of Xanth books (I reread those several times), so I guess I can't reccomend Space Tyrant.

Anyway, I second the Edgar Rice Burroughs. Free and fun, though I liked his Tarzan books better.
That was a shot in the dark. It was suggested, but obviously in fun as the post indicated. I checked it out on Wikipedia and read that a missile crisis was involved.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #49
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
That was a shot in the dark. It was suggested, but obviously in fun as the post indicated. I checked it out on Wikipedia and read that a missile crisis was involved.
Have you read Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books? They are more fantasy in flavor than SF, though but I think they otherwise meet your criteria.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #50
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Have you read Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books? They are more fantasy in flavor than SF, though but I think they otherwise meet your criteria.
Thanks much for the suggestion. Don't really enjoy fantasy but I do appreciate your thoughts.
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #51
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Read the Strugatsky brothers. They are Russian and from the 60's onwards and are as good as Clarke / Asimov.

I recommend Roadside Picnic to begin with. You can find it free here:
http://lib.ru/STRUGACKIE/engl_picnic.txt

Edit: On second thoughts, it may not be your cup of tea. Think of Clarke's Childhood End. It's thought provoking, not just fun.

Last edited by Rizla; 05-03-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #52
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Tripods trilogy by John Christopher would suit you I think. It is Young Adult, but is amazingly written. Start with the White Mountains, not the prequel that was written later. It has a very innocent, optimistic tone that is sure to please.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #53
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Read the Strugatsky brothers. They are Russian and from the 60's onwards and are as good as Clarke / Asimov.

I recommend Roadside Picnic to begin with. You can find it free here:
http://lib.ru/STRUGACKIE/engl_picnic.txt

Edit: On second thoughts, it may not be your cup of tea. Think of Clarke's Childhood End. It's thought provoking, not just fun.
Went ahead and downloaded (can't beat free). I'll give it start and see...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #54
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Try Ben Bova's "The Towers of Titan". It is a collection of short stories. They are a bit dated as they were written in the 60's but it seems to meet your requirements.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #55
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKal View Post
Try Ben Bova's "The Towers of Titan". It is a collection of short stories. They are a bit dated as they were written in the 60's but it seems to meet your requirements.
60's.... dated..... ? That was just yesterday.... ! I'll add these to my list. Thank you. (a lot of my "work" and study reads are from the 1800's so 1960 is current!)
Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #56
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I'm not a fan of the criteria, but I have some thoughts.

Quote:
Yeah. Good idea. Try "Dragonsdawn" which is the first book chronologically (and is clearly sci-fi, more so than some of the later books). Just read that again a few weeks ago.

I second the suggestion for Doc E.E. Smith - lensman, Skylark novels, etc - would fit the criteria. Squeaky clean 1920s sci-fi.

I think I would also agree with Ender's Game. Since it's about genius kids I think it would work. I love Card's "Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus" -an alternate history/ time travel story of a sort - that might work also.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-04-2011 at 01:10 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #57
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
I realized how creepy his novels were when I was still in high school. While it's most obvious in the Space Tyrant series, so many of his books feature an older guy with underage girls (or just underage girls).

Creepy, creepy, creepy. I'm surprised Amazon even carries his stuff.

Anyway, to the OP, I might suggest H. Beam Piper.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...k&ltr=P&page=2

While he definitely has a libertarian (in today's term) leaning, it's not really an agenda.

Last edited by JeremyR; 05-04-2011 at 01:18 AM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #58
Shimarenda
Addict
Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.Shimarenda can talk to the animals.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Tablet
Allow me to recommend Ray Gun Revival. My only affiliation with them is as a reader. They publish stories, both stand-alone and serial, in the style of Golden Age sci-fi. So far in twelve issues I've read, there's been no sex and less than a half-dozen mild curse words.

They've moved to a web-based format in their second incarnation, but you can still the pdfs of the original 57 issues in "The Vault" section of their forum.
Shimarenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #59
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimarenda View Post
Allow me to recommend Ray Gun Revival. --snip-

Thanks... looks right up my alley!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #60
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Allow me to recommend The Golden Age of Science Fiction series by Halcyon Press

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tion&x=15&y=20

Many, many wonderful stories from the 1930-1960s, including short stories, novellas, and novels. I thought I was well read in the field until I found these.

At $2 a pop for 50 stories it really can't be beat, although many of the stories are available free this series brings them all together in single volumes. There are twelve volumes of short/novella anthologies and at least a couple of novel anthologies.

Another very classic and, at the same time, new series is the Solar Clipper Trader Tales by Nathan Lowell. Two volumes are available at Amazon and elsewhere at around $5 and he has many more in the pipeline.

Edit: Quarter Share and Half Share are now out, Full Share is coming out in the next couple of months. http://solarclipper.com/

Last edited by NormHart; 05-04-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Arrgh! Brownies!!!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote