Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Does anyone use a Galaxy Note or Note 2 as their primary reader?

I love reading on my Nook HD, but I'm finding it's actually causing me some upper back strain because of its weight (a lot of holding it up in front of my face on the bus, etc.) I thought a smaller/lighter device might be nice, and if I could simplify and get rid of my phone too, that would be pretty cool. So... does anyone use their Note as their primary reader, and how do you like it? I used to read on a PRS-350, so a 5" screen is something I've used in the past with no issues.

Last edited by maxbookworm; 04-22-2013 at 03:53 PM.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I use the Galaxy Note as my on the go reader pretty much all the time. Works great for me. I usually use Moon Reader pro set up with red text on a black background. I find that works well in the sun as well as night.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
I have a Note 2 and use it fairly often to read and it's good I use the kindle app for some and the kobo app for other titles both free from the play store. Text looks good pictures are good too and if you want to view pdf's well adobe feature in the play store too. I would say I'm a heavy user of my phone and the battery holds up really really well, I take it off charge when I get up (9 a.m ish) and I've been known to still be using it into the early hours until finally going to bed with between 5 and 15% of charge remaining.
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I use my Note when not at home, and my Windows 8 Tablet (Samsung ATIV Smart PC) when at home. Since I'm usually reading the same book on both devices, I stick pretty close to Amazon for WhisperSync.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
I love reading on my Nook HD, but I'm finding it's actually causing me some upper back strain because of its weight (a lot of holding it up in front of my face on the bus, etc.) I thought a smaller/lighter device might be nice, and if I could simplify and get rid of my phone too, that would be pretty cool. So... does anyone use their Note as their primary reader, and how do you like it? I used to read on a PRS-350, so a 5" screen is something I've used in the past with no issues.
After exhaustive study, I have decided that 5.00" + or - .25" is the ideal pocket size.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
After exhaustive study, I have decided that 5.00" + or - .25" is the ideal pocket size.
How many data points
I haven't tried 5 or 5+ inch screen phone yet. I have my eyes on note for quite sometime but still beyond my budget.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
din155

A lot.
I make a pest of my self and ask to hold other peoples devices.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
din155

A lot.
I make a pest of my self and ask to hold other peoples devices.
a man should do what he got to do for the love of gadgets
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I love reading from my Galaxy Note, and can do it for hours.

After much experimentation I settled on Moon+ Pro reader. I also did a lot of experimentation on colorschemes, only to arrive at completely black text on a completely white background (and reversed night view), which gives a very clear picture in almost all circumstances except direct sun on the screen. The adjustable brightness is used to reach optimal visibility. Only problem with a white background is that it uses far more juice then a black background, since the Note has an OLED display.
screen setting is dynamic/max brightness/no auto-adjust.

for me the Note was an answer to a prayer; before it came out, I found smartphones had a too small too low-res screen to use as a book reader. The Note changed all that. Since it also has a very decent sound quality, good video recording functions, excellent GPS possibilities and reasonable picture quality, and great organiser options it replaced a lot of electronics I used to carry around; now my Note is the only device I need when I step out of the door. Indoors I alternate between my Ipad4 and the Note for ereading.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Erebo
Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Erebo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab
I´ve used for almost 2 years my Galaxy Tab for reading, prefered over the kindle, any version, it is light to hold and carry, a little big, but still will not change for others so far.
Aldiko is my choice for readers, although I use moon+ and kindle too.
Erebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I use the Galaxy Note as my on the go reader pretty much all the time. Works great for me. I usually use Moon Reader pro set up with red text on a black background. I find that works well in the sun as well as night.
the screen is in direct sunlight?

or turned at angle away from direct incidence? ie in shade of reader or other object?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
a man should do what he got to do for the love of gadgets
many fall into the same category
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
the screen is in direct sunlight?

or turned at angle away from direct incidence? ie in shade of reader or other object?
Turned away, or otherwise shaded. I find the red on black shows up better than black on white in the brighter light, at least to my eyes anyway.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Turned away, or otherwise shaded. I find the red on black shows up better than black on white in the brighter light, at least to my eyes anyway.
intriguing
sounds very good
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I use my Galaxy Note all the time for ebook reading. I just can't seem to justify the annoyance of carrying a second device.

The screen is a similar size to the smaller ebook readers and there is the advantage of being able to read ebooks from any source, not just the one that your reader comes with.

Only problem is battery life! I believe the Note 2 is better for that.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote